Avanti tachometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti tachometer

Read in an earlier post that the Avanti tachometer wasn't very accurate so I decided to check my 63 Avanti R1.
    The car tachometer showed a steady 150 rpm's too much all the way from idle at 650 to 2000 rpm's.

There is an adjustment screw in the top of the sending unit located behind the tach mounted on the instrument panel cross member. It's a PITA to access but it is possible as I adjusted mine. Bud

Comment

My '63 Avanti tach is not very accurate either. Furthermore it's erratic at times and periodically just quits working altogether. Then, it will spontaneously start working again. It's a very frustrating situation. Any ideas? [|)]

edp/NC
      '63 Avanti
      '66 Commander
      edp/NC
      \'63 Avanti
      \'66 Commander

Comment

edpjr...it's probably the tach sending unit. If you look under the dash, it's a round metal can by the steering column with wires attached. It's not unusual for them to go bad like you're describing. There are vendors who can rebuild them or sell you a rebuilt unit. It's not a hateful thing to replace but you do have to squirm around on your back.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

For what it's worth....

S-I has started selling a new electrical board that fits into the old can.

63 Avanti R1 2788
          1914 Stutz Bearcat
          (George Barris replica)

Washington State
          63 Avanti R1 2788
          1914 Stutz Bearcat
          (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Jon Myer has been selling boards for many years.........nothing new.

Comment

Working...
            X