PDA

View Full Version : Studebaker Damsel In Distress

Jenny
08-24-2006, 10:00 PM
My name is Jenny, I'm 36 years old. I have a fully restored 1950 Studebaker Commander, handed down to me by my father. It was originally my grandfather's car (he died before I was born.) My father passed away a year ago and since then it hasn't been driven in over a year. The battery is dead (I need someone to help me get it charged) and I need someone to help teach me how to drive the darn thing. I live in Bedford Hills, NY 1 hour north of Manhattan in Westchester County, NY. I plan on taking very good care of it and possibly entering it into some upcoming car shows. (My Dad would be very proud of me.) Please e-mail me: jmrvoice@yahoo.com

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

rockne10
08-24-2006, 10:39 PM
Jenny,
If the car has been sitting for a year you will need to have at least the brakes checked out before you attempt to drive it. I would rather have a car that won't run than a car that won't stop.

Assuming it was running a year ago,it shouldn't be difficult to get it running, either with a jump start or a charge in the battery, if it has fuel in the carb. It can be jumped from a 12-volt car with a few precautions.

Please provide a few more details.

The homepage of this website can direct you to your local SDC chapter, which can aid you in contacting members close to you.

Brad Johnson
Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
33 Rockne 10
51 Commander Starlight
53 Commander Starlight
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/rockne10/51x2.jpg
previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser

rockne10
08-24-2006, 10:39 PM
Jenny,
If the car has been sitting for a year you will need to have at least the brakes checked out before you attempt to drive it. I would rather have a car that won't run than a car that won't stop.

Assuming it was running a year ago,it shouldn't be difficult to get it running, either with a jump start or a charge in the battery, if it has fuel in the carb. It can be jumped from a 12-volt car with a few precautions.

Please provide a few more details.

The homepage of this website can direct you to your local SDC chapter, which can aid you in contacting members close to you.

Brad Johnson
Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
33 Rockne 10
51 Commander Starlight
53 Commander Starlight
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/rockne10/51x2.jpg
previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser

hank63
08-25-2006, 09:41 AM
Jenny, go to a car show and find the Stude people. Ask them to give you a hand (with the car). A car that has stood for a year can usually be started relatively easy. Like Brad said, have the brakes checked, and don't be surprised if the battery needs replacing.
Once the car is going, have it serviced. Change engine oil and oil filter, regardless of mileage since last change.
Good luck. /H

hank63
08-25-2006, 09:41 AM
Jenny, go to a car show and find the Stude people. Ask them to give you a hand (with the car). A car that has stood for a year can usually be started relatively easy. Like Brad said, have the brakes checked, and don't be surprised if the battery needs replacing.
Once the car is going, have it serviced. Change engine oil and oil filter, regardless of mileage since last change.
Good luck. /H

bondobilly
08-25-2006, 03:08 PM
quote:Originally posted by Jenny

My name is Jenny, I'm 36 years old. Please e-mail me: jmrvoice@yahoo.com

Stan always brought the car down to me to look at, and he accidentally fried the electrical system in my drive way.

Your mom should have called me.

Bill Glass 914 681-0855, I am about 10=15 min from you.

BG

http://bondobilly.com./1sdc.jpg Proud owner of the Hawk from Hell

bondobilly
08-25-2006, 03:08 PM
quote:Originally posted by Jenny

My name is Jenny, I'm 36 years old. Please e-mail me: jmrvoice@yahoo.com

Stan always brought the car down to me to look at, and he accidentally fried the electrical system in my drive way.

Your mom should have called me.

Bill Glass 914 681-0855, I am about 10=15 min from you.

BG

John Kirchhoff
08-25-2006, 04:29 PM
Jenny, you need to make sure that whoever helps you get your car started checks the electrical system. Those were orginally 6 volt electrical systems and nearly all cars built after 56-57 are 12 volt. Putting 12 volts to the starter won't hurt anything because the windings are heavy enough. However, you don't want to sock 12 volts to a 6 volt coil, voltage regulator or instruments. If your dad converted it over to a 12 volt sytem, he probably changed everything that needed changing but have someone knowledgable check the battery anyway. One VERY important thing to observe is the polarity. Most 6 volt systems were orginally positive ground. Old 12 volt generator systems were sometimes positive or negative while all alternator systems are negative ground. What ever you do, make sure your helper checks the routeing of the cables because you don't want to cross connect systems if you jump start it. If your helper doesn't understand any of this, find someone else who does. Don't automatically assume the pimply faced kid at the local garage knows either. If the battery needs to be replaced, again, make sure the battery cables are reconnected to the right polarity. When I was a kid my dad bought a 12 volt, generator system tractor. The dealer put on a brand new battery and less than a week later, the wiring burned up. Fortunately we got the fire out before the whole works went up in flames. The dealer connected the cables as negative ground when the voltage regulator had been previously polarized positive ground. The points stuck and hence the fire. Not trying to scare you, but you sure don't want to see your dad's car as well as the garage burned up. Good luck!

John Kirchhoff
08-25-2006, 04:29 PM
Jenny, you need to make sure that whoever helps you get your car started checks the electrical system. Those were orginally 6 volt electrical systems and nearly all cars built after 56-57 are 12 volt. Putting 12 volts to the starter won't hurt anything because the windings are heavy enough. However, you don't want to sock 12 volts to a 6 volt coil, voltage regulator or instruments. If your dad converted it over to a 12 volt sytem, he probably changed everything that needed changing but have someone knowledgable check the battery anyway. One VERY important thing to observe is the polarity. Most 6 volt systems were orginally positive ground. Old 12 volt generator systems were sometimes positive or negative while all alternator systems are negative ground. What ever you do, make sure your helper checks the routeing of the cables because you don't want to cross connect systems if you jump start it. If your helper doesn't understand any of this, find someone else who does. Don't automatically assume the pimply faced kid at the local garage knows either. If the battery needs to be replaced, again, make sure the battery cables are reconnected to the right polarity. When I was a kid my dad bought a 12 volt, generator system tractor. The dealer put on a brand new battery and less than a week later, the wiring burned up. Fortunately we got the fire out before the whole works went up in flames. The dealer connected the cables as negative ground when the voltage regulator had been previously polarized positive ground. The points stuck and hence the fire. Not trying to scare you, but you sure don't want to see your dad's car as well as the garage burned up. Good luck!

bondobilly
08-25-2006, 05:17 PM
quote:Originally posted by John Kirchhoff

Jenny, you need to make sure that whoever helps you get your car started checks the electrical system. Those were orginally 6 volt electrical systems and nearly Good luck!
I am so totally familair with that car, almost as familiar as I am with my own . Stan, Jenny's dad was a friend of ours,and we go way back. When my 47 Commander Coupe was being restored, his car and my car were stable mates. The engine,when last run, was so quiet you could hear a butterfly flap its' wings. The idle was as smooth as a baby's rear end. The only drawback was/is that he car does not have OD, and before Stan's untimely death, he was investigating the possibility of installing an OD transmission.

When last seen, the paint was show quality as was the chrome. He even had some of the rarest options on the car, full front Bumper Grauds and the same for the rear, the vinetion blinds, and a spotlight. I forget if he ever installed the sunvisor.

I dove the car and it was not only responsive, but cornered beautifully. Stan kept that car in pistine condition.

It took many 1st place trophies, and a few best of shows.

The history behnd the car is interesting. Stan drove it daily when he first got married, and one day Raymond Loewy came out of Bloomingdales in Manhattan, Stan was leaning on the car and grabbed Loewy by the arm and went on and on about how beautiful the car was etc.

When he told me the story, I said "schmuck" you should have had him sign the dash board or a door panel. The car was Stan's fathers, and sometime in the late 60's he sent it out to be restored. The restoration shop went belly up, and never told Stan. They had to go and collect the car, its doors, trunk and hood plus parts which were layng outside the long gone restoration facility. Tony Patane suggested that he take the car down to Max Corkin's. My car arrived their about 4 to five months later.

This is going back to a time when Robin, my daughter was three, she is now 23. Max had my car and Stan's car's interior was restored back to the original material. My 47 had those ratan seat covers, and when he removed them, the fabric in the back seat was absolutely perfict, and Max found 2.5 yards, just enough of the original material and did my front seat to match the rear. Stan's car got anew headliner, new carpeting, the dash restored, and the steering wheel redone.

The only thing the car had a problem with, was re-starting when it was hot. I beleive that was corrected way before Stan died.

The only thing I would sugest Jenny do, is to replace the bias ply tires to wide white radials. It will make it much easier for her to drive.

I have photos of the car.

BG

Stan made a living representing big name photographers, and also setting up shoots, for big clients. He was quite talented.

bondobilly
08-25-2006, 05:17 PM
quote:Originally posted by John Kirchhoff

Jenny, you need to make sure that whoever helps you get your car started checks the electrical system. Those were orginally 6 volt electrical systems and nearly Good luck!
I am so totally familair with that car, almost as familiar as I am with my own . Stan, Jenny's dad was a friend of ours,and we go way back. When my 47 Commander Coupe was being restored, his car and my car were stable mates. The engine,when last run, was so quiet you could hear a butterfly flap its' wings. The idle was as smooth as a baby's rear end. The only drawback was/is that he car does not have OD, and before Stan's untimely death, he was investigating the possibility of installing an OD transmission.

When last seen, the paint was show quality as was the chrome. He even had some of the rarest options on the car, full front Bumper Grauds and the same for the rear, the vinetion blinds, and a spotlight. I forget if he ever installed the sunvisor.

I dove the car and it was not only responsive, but cornered beautifully. Stan kept that car in pistine condition.

It took many 1st place trophies, and a few best of shows.

The history behnd the car is interesting. Stan drove it daily when he first got married, and one day Raymond Loewy came out of Bloomingdales in Manhattan, Stan was leaning on the car and grabbed Loewy by the arm and went on and on about how beautiful the car was etc.

When he told me the story, I said "schmuck" you should have had him sign the dash board or a door panel. The car was Stan's fathers, and sometime in the late 60's he sent it out to be restored. The restoration shop went belly up, and never told Stan. They had to go and collect the car, its doors, trunk and hood plus parts which were layng outside the long gone restoration facility. Tony Patane suggested that he take the car down to Max Corkin's. My car arrived their about 4 to five months later.

This is going back to a time when Robin, my daughter was three, she is now 23. Max had my car and Stan's car's interior was restored back to the original material. My 47 had those ratan seat covers, and when he removed them, the fabric in the back seat was absolutely perfict, and Max found 2.5 yards, just enough of the original material and did my front seat to match the rear. Stan's car got anew headliner, new carpeting, the dash restored, and the steering wheel redone.

The only thing the car had a problem with, was re-starting when it was hot. I beleive that was corrected way before Stan died.

The only thing I would sugest Jenny do, is to replace the bias ply tires to wide white radials. It will make it much easier for her to drive.

I have photos of the car.

BG

Stan made a living representing big name photographers, and also setting up shoots, for big clients. He was quite talented.

Dick Steinkamp
08-25-2006, 06:13 PM
Great story, Bill. You made my day :)

http://thenobot.org/images/s2d/s2d_01.jpg

Dick Steinkamp
08-25-2006, 06:13 PM
Great story, Bill. You made my day :)

http://thenobot.org/images/s2d/s2d_01.jpg

Roscomacaw
08-26-2006, 01:00 PM
Yeah, Cool Story, Bill. Geeze, I wonder if Stan slipped Loewy a business card during their brief encounter. They might have served one another, given Stan's vocation.:)

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

Roscomacaw
08-26-2006, 01:00 PM
Yeah, Cool Story, Bill. Geeze, I wonder if Stan slipped Loewy a business card during their brief encounter. They might have served one another, given Stan's vocation.:)

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS