Long-term on Jack Stands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long-term on Jack Stands

Now that Spring is close to springing, I'm finally going to be able to get to work on my 50 LC. I'm planning on putting it up on Jack Stands for a while while I work on the fuel system, brakes, tranny, and engine. Any suggestions as to where to place the jack stands so they don't damage anthing and are semi-out of the way so I can get under and work on the car?

Thanks!

Under front suspension A-arms and rear axle is what usually supports the vehicle. Placement would depend on what you are working on under the car. The frame near where the suspension mounts should not flex the frame too much. Not under the middle, as it will make opening/closing doors more difficult.

Comment

I use short pcs. of railroad switch ties with two by four cleats screwed on, jack the car up and slide one under each wheel, they stay in place.Mac

Comment

Long term...

The way the Stude (most frames) is bent, it's difficult with normal stands to properly support the front.
        What I do is to use normal stands right where the frame makes its turn to go up (front of door). I then use a jack or another stand under the front crossmember to "unspring" the center of the frame.
        This is particularly important with the Stude engine being as heavy as it is and the frame being as light (thin walled) as it is.

Hope that helps some

Mike

Comment

GEEMAC, I like that idea. I can build 4 "stands" and just put them under the tires. Doing it that way, I can get the car up a little higher than with jack stands on the frame. Now I just need a "real" jack ( I was planning on getting a floor jack anyway). Doug, thanks for the tip on supporting the engine as well. I'll fabricate some sort of stand for the crossmember as well.

Comment

Working...
          X