1950 Champion -severe brake noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1950 Champion -severe brake noise

I am driving long distance down the east coast from NY and presently in Charleston, SC. My next stops will be Savannah and then down thru Florida to Ft. Lauderdale.

Before I left New York, I had all the brakes examined carefully and the front brake pads changed as well as the wheel cylinder in the front driver's wheel replaced. The mechanic noticed that the self adjusting 'contact plug' was missing but this did not seem to be of concern. It had been that way prior to the new brake pads which were approximately 25% larger surface area, and we thought a great improvement.

I continue to experience this knocking sound on every brake application, which is rotational and quite pronounced especially when slowing down between 20 and 0 mph. knock...knock...knock..timed I guess to each rotation of the wheel.

I have driven 1200 miles this way and other than the noise, have seen no pulling to either side and have extensively discussed this with my mechanic who believes this is the missing "contact plug" on the self adjusting device. The passenger side has it but not this offending and noisy wheel on the front driver side.

Is there danger from this condition? I am thinking finally of having the brake inspected either at a brake repair shop or a willing club member.

Any comments would be so appreciated.

Jim

James Caspi
    1950 Champion Regal Deluxe-2 dr.
    New York, NY.

Sounds like a drum is out of round. Where the drums turned on the last brakejob? I had one that did that, and no amount of turning would fix it. The guy who was working on it figured that the car had been dropped off of a stand or something, and bent the drum. Replaced it with a good used one, and all is well.

Comment

Did you check to see if a lug nut came loose and is banging around inside the hubcap ?

John

Any day above ground is a good one!
      Any day above ground is a good one!

Comment

We did have the brake drum ground to that we were sure the inside was absolutely round against the new brake lining. Maybe it was not put on correctly. I will take this off and examine it all.

IT is not a sound increasing like a scraping of surfaces as your description suggests, but more like some screw or grommet hiting the same inside point each time the thing rotates to that position.

James Caspi
        New York, NY.

Comment

Well, it wouldn't be the lack of a contact plug. The brakes will still work, but they won't self-adjust anymore.

Did the operator of the brake lathe leave a "screw thread" inside the drum? If the drum isn't cut smoothly, it may have a helical track on its inside surface that can repeatedly lift the shoes off the backing plate until the limit of give in the mounting springs is reached, at which point they will snap back with a thump.

One other cause of this sound could be a cracked wheel. I've had cracked wheels, and they sure do thump.

I'd advise pulling a wheel and inspecting both the rim and the brake drum.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
          Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Gord,
            Are you sure?
            Without the plug the brakes would not self-adjust but, would they also not self-center? Could there be just enough microns difference between the shoes that one is applying while the other is infinitesimally flopping about?
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Dear Gord and Chuck,

I spoke at length with my mechanic again and he also now believes that the drum was either hilical-since the brake drums were sent off for re-cutting; and/or maybe the wheel bearing or wheel seal was needed in order to make absolutely sure the center of rotation was in the correct place etc.

After hearing all of your comments, I listen much harder and can almost (imagine) hearing the pad springing down against the drum.

And, I have decided to finish the drive to Florida and deal with ordering parts etc. next week.

thanks all
              Jim

James Caspi
              New York, NY.

Comment

Just me, but I'd check the wheel. I've seen wheels crack around the lug nuts and that can make some weird sounds.

Mark Anderson
                Member SDC and FMCA
                Keeper of the Studebaker Cruiser Registry

Comment

Are you sure that your mechanic understands how the self adjuster effects the function of the brake? On my car the brake adjustment eccentric bears on the self adjuster. If the self adjuster is not there, the brake cannot be properly adjusted although it will work somewhat. The PO of my car had removed the adjusters and I had to replace them for the brakes to work properly.

"In the heart of Arkansas."
                  1952 Champion Starlight w/overdrive. Searcy, Arkansas
                  "In the heart of Arkansas."
                  Searcy, Arkansas
                  1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                  1952 2R pickup

Comment

James I'm in Savannah. If you want you can bring your car to my place, and we can check it out. Pat 912-484-4149

Pat Skelly
                    '62 GT Hawk
                    '56 Sky Hawk
                    '37 Dictator Coupe

Comment

Pull the drum and look for any shiny spots where they should not be. Could be a bad spring, allowing the shoes to rub against the drum.

Comment

Dear wonderful members,

I learned a great deal from all the comments. I was on some deadline (and luckily not dead) but I made the drive with little more than that darn noise upon brake application.

FYI, I drove 2000 miles like that, never used 95 except for getting out of South Georgia quickly and staight to Fla to keep an appoimtment.

I took many wonderful photos especially because the way many of you suggested I drive was on state highway system roads---thank you Eisenhauer!!

This trip was unforgetable and after the 2G miles, my girl friend says "when can we go again?".

I will now with time to spare, investigate my problem and have it resolved in the Boca area of Florida. I will probably order a wheel bearing, wheel seal, replacement auto adjuster parts and have them all awaiting my return to Fla early April.

Jim

James Caspi
                        New York, NY.

Comment

Working...
                        X