Since you mentioned roofs... NOW WITH PICS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Since you mentioned roofs... NOW WITH PICS

As you may know, the roof of my '63 Daytona HT was severely damaged a couple of winters ago when the roof of the barn she was stored in decided to drop a large beam. There is now a nice deep crease almost along the center of the (car's) roof which also V'd the front and rear windshield headers. I have a quote from a local bodyshop for $2500 to repair the damage, but a recent post made me realize that there may be decent replacement metal to be had that will make for a far better repair. All in all, this was not a disaster... its what motivated me to bring the car home and fix her up instead of letting her stay where she was and RIP (rot in pieces)

So does anyone have any suggestions? I tried SASCO on the web, but its under construction.

Ron Johnston
    1963 Studebaker Daytona HT

Oops, sorry - this should have been under Tech Talk.

Ron Johnston

Comment

Ron,
      SASCO's website does not exist any more. It started showing under construction after it was shut down when they closed up. Studebaker International bought all of SASCO's inventory so maybe you should be inquiring at SI if they still have any roofs left.

'57 3E6-12 Transtar Deluxe
      '64 Daytona HT
      \'57 3E6-12 Transtar Deluxe
      \'64 Daytona HT

Comment

It should certainly be easy enough to find a junk with a decent roof on it that could be cut and welded. Steve

STOLEN Studebaker!Ventura County ad says contact
        Barry @ 805-218-3658

sigpic

Comment

The one body panel that typically doesnt rust in Minnesota is the roof. The bottom half of the car may be ate away due to salt, but the roof is good. For what its worth, I dont have a '63 two door, but I do have an excellent '63 four door roof if needed.

Autumn at Lake Barget
          In the middle of Minnestudea
          sigpic
          In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Thanks Milaca... depending on what I find, I may come back to you about your 4 dr roof. I mostly need the back portion around the rear windshield. Its the worst part of the dented area, and will be "bondo city" if I try to get it fixed. I'll add a pic tonite.

Ron Johnston

Comment

Here are the pics of my "streamlined" Daytona...

Whaddya think? Will it buff out?

Ron Johnston

Comment

Ouch! I feel your pain! Find a junk convertible and make your car into a convertible. Bob40 (Bob Reining) can get you many of the parts from a '62 convert if he hasnt already sold them.

Autumn at Lake Barget
                sigpic

Comment

I could fix that for lots less that 2500, and its easier to push the metal back to shape than to swap roofs.

Not overly fond of swapping roofs....

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

http://datinmanspeaks.blogspot.com/

Comment

I'm with Jay. Definitely better to fix than replace.

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
                    Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Unless replacing it with a skytop. [8D]

Comment

Nice work Jay. Do you make <s>house-calls</s> garage-calls to British Columbia Canada?

Autumn at Lake Barget
                        sigpic

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Da Tinman

I could fix that for lots less that 2500, and its easier to push the metal back to shape than to swap roofs.
                          '55 BelAir HT in the first two pictures? VERY impressive work.

The visual pun ain't too shabby, neither [8D]

Keoni Dibelka / HiloFoto
                          In Hawai'i; on Hawai'i; on the Windward Side
                          If da salt air never chew 'em up bumbye da lava will...

Comment

I have experience.

Instead of one car, several cars got smushed in a quonset hut due to an unusual 6' of snow then rain. (quonset huts are garbage)

Some cars pushed up easily, with almost no creasing.

I replaced the roof on two cars at the posts. Easier than you might think.

One car was a really nice 62 door sedan. The bodyshop advised that the repair was going to cost more than the car was worth. It is still not fixed.

Some cars are now parts cars.

My neighbours quonset hut went down last year, and the insurance company still refuses to pay - apparently, it was too close to a tree line - 50'.

My current 55 commander coupe was vandalized behind an industrial building before I bought it. The roof was jumped on and pushed down to the top of the seats. I bought it as a parts car - the engine started up immediately after I changed the oil - then it was changed into a great driver. It all pushed up almost perfectly.

I really sympathize with your problem, but I am sure if you need a new roof AND it makes economic sense to repair it, you will find a solution.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by barnlark

Unless replacing it with a skytop. [8D]

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
                              Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Working...
                              X