ride quality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: ride quality

For my 61 Lark, 6 cylinder, W model, automatic, I had the front end rebuilt including new front springs, bushings, everything possible. I put belted plies tires from Coker on the car. Now I notice the road bumps more.
    Is this due to belted plies tires, if everything else has been done?
    I read a story from a 1992 Turning Wheels about a Lark that drove across Canada. These people never mentioned a rough ride and they had the same tires.
    Any thoughts?

David G. Nittler
    David G. Nittler

I have always noticed an immediate ride improvement, all thing being equal otherwise, changing from bias to radial, both in cornering and lack of bump steer/wandering. My only car to still use bias is my flathead 6 49 Kaiser Special; speed or handling is not of the essence in that car. I changed to radials in the early 70s and never looked back. I'm sure you might get some comments on Cokers as well. Their compounds are rather soft, so they tend to wear quicker. If you only go 1,000 miles a year, fine, but if you drive regularly you might be better off keeping them for shows, and driving on radials for day to day use. YMMV, of course.

Jim B on PEI
    63 259 o/d Wagonaire
    57 Champion W4 o/d
    57 Champion W4 automatic

Comment

If so I'll need to find four wheels.

David G. Nittler
      David G. Nittler

Comment

what size tires do you have now from Coker.....I might be looking for just that....No matter how much money you throw at a 61' Stude, it will never ride like a late model vehicle...don't let the $$ fool you...if you've gone from radials to bias ply, its a tough acceptance...

Comment

New springs of course are going to make the ride firmer than before, but what some people consider a firm ride some would consider harsh. Are the front springs correct for your car? Are they HD? The V-8 and 6 don't use the same front springs. The tires do make some difference but personally I have a 6-cyl and a V-8 both with bias ply tires on them and always thought that the 6 had a firmer and more nimble feel to it that the V-8 anyway.

Joe
          sigpic

1962 Daytona
          1964 Cruiser
          And a few others

Comment

Nimble for sure. I figure to tough it out. When the car was new people did it..Anyway thanks.

David G. Nittler
            David G. Nittler

Comment

How much pressure in the tires? If you are over 28 PSI you will really feel the bumps.

ErnieR

1988 "Beater" Avanti---R5388 @ Macungie 2006

Comment

I have 32 psi, I'll lower it to 28 and see. Thanks.

David G. Nittler
                David G. Nittler

Comment

I found with the bias plys as bige says: keep the pressure around 25 +/-. And definitely a few lbs less out back unless a full trunk & passengers...

Comment

Maintain 3 lbs less it the back tires, the car will handle far better, I found mine wanting to swap ends on curves with the same pressure. Studebaker recommended 22 and 25, but that's pretty soft.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
                    Tom Bredehoft
                    '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
                    '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
                    ....On the road, again....
                    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
                    All Indiana built cars

Comment

Thanks this never occurred to me.

David G. Nittler
                      David G. Nittler

Comment

Ride Quality Issue

In this same vain, my 1961 6 cyl Lark rides like crap. I have just finished the front end all new but the springs yet it hits really hard on even little bumps or those road reflectors, amazingly hard, noisy, like a shocking experience. i have shocks that are only one year old, cant figure it out but I am considering getting rid of the car after all this effort because it just isn't fun to drive dodging every little bump, hole, etc. Any ideas are appreciated. did net shocks, tires are a bit wider than originals but it is the violent shock/hit that amazes me. New king pins and bushings, new tie rods. I didnt touch the rear end but it hits just as hard, as best I can tell.

My tires, that came with the car new three years ago (5 thousand miles ago) are Goodrich P205 60R15.
                        Last edited by Gregor; 12-08-2015, 04:34 PM. Reason: Forgot tire specs

Comment

Originally posted by Gregor View Post
                          In this same vain, my 1961 6 cyl Lark rides like crap. My tires, that came with the car new three years ago (5 thousand miles ago) are Goodrich P205 60R15.
                          Those tires are about two-three sizes too large and thus too heavy for a Lark 6-cyl. Yes, unsprung weight makes a noticeable difference in ride quality.

amazingly hard, noisy, like a shocking experience.
                          Yes, road noise is a major component in perceived ride quality and lack thereof. Even when new, our beloved 6-cyl Larks were cheap tin boxes with next-to-no sound deadening material. I had a friend complaining about the ride quality on a Lark and I had him put on noise-cancelling head phones and do a before-and-after over the same road. He was amazed at how much better the old car rode when he couldn't hear anything. Driving new cars, his ears had just gotten accustomed to not hearing the road noises.

As previously mentioned, what PSI is being used? A few too-many PSI in tire pressure makes a big difference on a light car.

jack vines
                          PackardV8

Comment

I amazed that this message was answered. It was started in 2010. Good info though. Larks are not the best riding cars but they have "soul."
                            Last edited by drnittler; 12-12-2015, 03:31 AM.
                            David G. Nittler

Comment

The installation of new shocks and new radial tires should make it ride and handle better than ever before. New suspension might be a bit stiff for a while, shocks might not be stiff enough and bigger tires and or wheels will definitely make it ride rougher. I recommend the best gas filled hd shocks you can buy for any driven collector car, tires as close as possible in the size compared to the original equipment and the lightest wheels you can find for good ride and handling.

Do that all and it should ride like a caddy.
                              Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Working...
                              X