1942 President Skyway sedan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1942 President Skyway sedan

This one needs to be saved,IMHO.It's in the same yard as the Lark convert but I would prefer not to part it out.Complete except for wheels/tires and a rear window.My guess is the floors are toast but there are a lot of good parts there or a relatively rare car to restore.The banjo steering wheel is a neat feature.I have not asked the owner for a complete car price yet but my guesstimate would be in the $500-600 range.If nobody wants it whole I'll buy it and put it in long term inside storage.I'm going to post it on the ASC and AACA forums in the next few days.Send me a note if interested.
    Mono mind in a stereo world

Skyway, Land Cruiser.

Richard

Comment

I have a nos set of those fender lights if anyone is interested...Bob

Candbstudebakrs
      Castro Valley,
      California

Candbstudebakers
      Castro Valley,
      California

Comment

Hi

In what state is it located?

Breaks my heart to see such a rare and desirable car left to rot.

Steve

Comment

Parts-wise, just from the picture, you'd want to grab the entire front clip, and rear fenders, the front bumper riders, and rear gravel shields, and last but not least, those little "shark teeth" gizmos at the lower corners of the side window/door trim.

Comment

Located in Minnesota.

Comment

Adding pics to this old thread.Somebody got the top of the fender lights.It's mine if I want it....just not sure I want to dig it out.
              Attached Files

Comment

I'd like to buy the rear stone shields if they do not have any rust holes. Surface rust ok.

Comment

Hopefully, it can be sold as a complete restoration project. There can't be many '42 Presidents left, especially the Land Cruiser style! Someone was smart enough to buy a nice new President to see them through the War. Hope they took care of their tires!

Comment

I have a '42 President that was a miltary staff car assigned to the LANL (Los Alamos Nuclear Laboratory) during the Manhattan Project. I tell everyone that when the lights are off in my shop that it glows in the dark. The car came to me in Olive Drab color, with a white star on the rear doors and serial numbers stenciled on each side of the hood. Pretty interesting vehicle as the bright work wasn't painted over like on most other military cars and trucks. Who knows, it may have been General Leslie Groves' staff car while the secret project was underway???

Comment

That is a real collector's item! The Military knew a good thing when they saw it! I was thinking the same thing about the Chrome trim on the Minnesota car. It must have been an early production '42, before the Blackout trim was in use.

Comment

Yes! Please save this rare car! Even if you don't want it yourself, surely someone will come along and give it a good home .
                        sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                        Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                        "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

For the record Studebaker never referred to them as "blackout" models. They did call them model 90 inasmuch as it was the 90th anniversary of the company (1852- 1942). Production on the 1942 models began in the last week of August 1941. The model 90s were assembled for only just over 2 weeks from Jan 16, 1942 thru January 31, 1942. Total of all 1942 Presidents assembled 3500 (408 were model 90); total of all '42 Commanders 17,500 (model 90 - 1688); total of all '42 Champions 29,677 of which 4612 were model 90. These figures include both South Bend and Los Angeles (Vernon) plants.
                          Richard Quinn
                          Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Great statistics on the '42s. The Presidents were pretty rare even when new! Is there a breakdown as to how many Land Cruiser types were built?

Comment

Bought a '63 Champ truck from a fellow who had a '42 President Skyway in the back of his garage. He had 3 NOS fenders for it, I don't know what ever became of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X