EXHAUST HEAT RISER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EXHAUST HEAT RISER

I have a 1950 Commander....the heat riser is rusted where it can not move...I have pulled the part of the exhaust manifold where it is installed.The rod that goes thru is frozen...I have removed the bobber and flap but cannot remove the shaft that goes thru the exhaust manifold...Any suggestions on the best way to remove the shaft ?.....I am thinking that I would install another heat riser setup even tho I dont use the car in the winter. Wouldent there be less sludge build up with one installed as the engine would come up to temp quicker ? Also, it seems to me that this would benefit the exhaust system by reducing the condesation on start up...Am I thinking correctly about this ?...your comments are appreciated....John

Yes John, a heat riser is a good thing, can save fuel by warming the engine and Automatic Choke sooner and reduce condensation if it is working well.

You may require the help of a machinist to recondition the Exhaust Manifold though.

StudeRich
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Don't ask me how or why it works but when I used to grease monkey in a chevrolet garage years ago there was always a bottle of iodine on the work bench and my instructions were too always dab a bit of iodine on the heat riser pin to keep it from freezing up and to my knowledge it seemed to work.
      Earle

Comment

Working...
      X