Ted Harbit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ted Harbit

A few months ago, Hot Rod magazine had an article about Ted Harbit totalling the Chicken Hawk. Any updates?

Art

quote:Originally posted by Relark

A few months ago, Hot Rod magazine had an article about Ted Harbit totalling the Chicken Hawk. Any updates?

Art

It's still totaled, and now just a fond part of history.

JDP/Maryland
    JDP Maryland

Comment

And Ted is fully recovered and burning the competition.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Any word if he's OK and will he retire from racing?

Art

Comment

Thanks Rockne, I guess I was still typing while you answered the post.

Art

Comment

Check your January, 2010 issue of TURNING WHEELS for Ted's 2009 Pure Stock postings at Mid Michigan and his own "From the Driver's Seat" article on page 44..

Ted posts on this Forum as Chicken Hawk.
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Art
              He was at the michiana chapters christmas party in December. By then he was doing good and plans on racing a really nice Lark called the "Stude Tommato"

Chris Dresbach

1940 Champion two door.
              Parts of the 1952 Model N
              Chris Dresbach

Comment

I would imagine someone like Ted will retire from racing only in 2 instances He can no longer do it due to ill health, Death. These guys just love what they do, why give it up?

John Clements
                Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
                Lockleys South Australia
                John Clements
                Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Here's something I had done for Ted. We all honor our friend and hero, and are thankful for his recovery. That does, however, leave a huge loss for him, and the Studebaker world in general. So this was a tribute to the CH:

This is a metallic-type finish that looks really neat. It was done by a company I know from my racing. I searched for several months finding just the shot I liked; this one was taken the very day the CH was lost. It took a while to find the photographer and get his permission to use it as well.

The whited-out areas are the website of the company that did the artwork.

The photo was sent to Ted as intended. I am trying to decide what to do next; they can be done in several sizes, and even "blazed" onto a shirt- and at very low prices IMO. Will keep you all posted.

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
                  Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Ted, do you still have the Chicken Hawk remains in your possession? It might make for an interesting exhibit at the Studebaker National Museum being that it's the most well known Studebaker race car.

Autumn at Lake Barget
                    In the middle of Minnestudea
                    sigpic
                    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

The CH has been mostly disassembled.

Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Bob, that one of the best photos I've ever seen of any race car! I think many would love to have a copy. If you can do the t-shirts, an optonal pocket would be great for us old guys who still smoke!

Art

Comment

That was very kind of you Bams, Also thanks for posting.

101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

We were shocked and surprised when we received the photo from Bob (Bam's). There are no words to describe how much Mary Ann and I appreciate this kind guesture by Bob. It really means a lot to us.

A couple of things others asked about: One about putting the CH in the museum. This was the plan when we retired it but I don't think they would be interested in it now with the condition it is in.

Another was if we still have it. Yes, we do. I have taken about everything off it I can get and cleared a corner in our pole barn to store them in and will put the shell there also (still has the rear end in it). We know it will eventually probably be destroyed but we don't have the heart to do it and it will stay here as long as I'm around.

Some mentioned about auctioning off parts. We were not interested in doing that at the time but after almost a year, we think that might not be a bad idea if enough were interested in having something from it. It might let its legacy last a few years longer.

One other thing I really regret is that we never got to run it in a quarter before the accident. I told some people about this but some that haven't heard might be interested.

A couple weeks before the season opened, I removed the stock gas tank as all I had done was put in a larger pick up line and pulled gas from the front just like stock. I removed the tank and put a sump on the rear and added a one inch line from the sump to the new larger injection pump and run larger lines to the carbs.

This made a huge difference, enough I could feel just by driving it. The night of the accident there was a 30+ mph side wind and the strip manager decided to run the eighth mile due to this wind.

On the run before the accident the car ran the quickest and fastest eighth time ever and this was with LESS boost than before. I am sure the car would have run in the mid 9's or better with no wind and good weather. This would have been great to know a 3600 pound Stude powered car could do that.

Sorry for this long post but wanted others to know some of this and to acknowledge Bob's generous donation and guesture to us. Can't tell you how much we appreciated it.

Ted

quote:Originally posted by bams50

Here's something I had done for Ted. We all honor our friend and hero, and are thankful for his recovery. That does, however, leave a huge loss for him, and the Studebaker world in general. So this was a tribute to the CH:

This is a metallic-type finish that looks really neat. It was done by a company I know from my racing. I searched for several months finding just the shot I liked; this one was taken the very day the CH was lost. It took a while to find the photographer and get his permission to use it as well.

The whited-out areas are the website of the company that did the artwork.

The photo was sent to Ted as intended. I am trying to decide what to do next; they can be done in several sizes, and even "blazed" onto a shirt- and at very low prices IMO. Will keep you all posted.

Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

To answer questions about this, the doctor released me six weeks after the accident and the seventh week in June, we went to the FAST/Pure Stock race in Martin, Michigan with the Tomato. Then in September we took the Tomato to Stanton for the PSMCDR.

There are several videos of all the Studes that ran there on Sonny's racing site. Bob Palma posted them and if you look them up, go to the Stude Powered Performance section, then down to the 2009 Pure Stock Drag Video Clips to find them. Here is one (if it works-I'm not computer savy) of the Tomato running the third run of the shoot out:

http://www.youtube.com/user/PureStockDr ... xJGjtkF_Pw

Have some back and shoulder problems from the accident but sure NOT complaining. As long as I'm physical/mentally able we plan to keep racing although I can tell each year, just not as capable as would like.

Ted

Art

Comment

Working...
                              X