Tailpipes under the rearend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tailpipes under the rearend?

When bending up the tailpipes on my '59 Lark, the installer said it would be easier to run them under instead of over the differential. The reason was that his bender would have trouble making a tight bend with the 2 1/2" tubing. I checked it out and saw no problems. They have been under there for about 5 years now. I've only seen this done on one production car, early '70's GM full size wagons. Is there any particular reason most cars have the tailpipes over the diff.? Maybe ease of assembly on the production line? [?]

Art

'59 Lark hardtop w/355 blown sbc, 700R4, 8.8" rear w/ 3.73 gears

Dogs are a man's best friend. Just ask my Dachshunds!

fire your exhaust bender and go somewhere else.
    The only real tight spot is where the tailpipe exits between the leaf springs and gas tank, the area around the e-brake cable seems to give most benders problems too. Seldom do I work on a Studebaker that the e-brake cable isn't rubbing the exhaust pipe.

quote:Originally posted by Relark

When bending up the tailpipes on my '59 Lark, the installer said it would be easier to run them under instead of over the differential. The reason was that his bender would have trouble making a tight bend with the 2 1/2" tubing. I checked it out and saw no problems. They have been under there for about 5 years now. I've only seen this done on one production car, early '70's GM full size wagons. Is there any particular reason most cars have the tailpipes over the diff.? Maybe ease of assembly on the production line? [?]

Art

'59 Lark hardtop w/355 blown sbc, 700R4, 8.8" rear w/ 3.73 gears

Dogs are a man's best friend. Just ask my Dachshunds!

Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
    53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
    57 SH (project)
    60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
    53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
    57 SH (project)
    60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

I have 2.5 over my axle. They are not mandrel bent,but Don Simmon's made a few mandrel pairs. One set is on the Stewed Tomato I believe. They have exited straight out the back,and now they point down behind the tire. Plenty of room. The under the axle run used to be called "drag pipes" around here in the 70's. It was supposed to relieve back pressure by eliminating bends.

Comment

The pipe is more susceptible to being crushed when under the rearend as road debris, deep potholes, etc. could make contact with the pipe. How high off the ground is the bottom of the pipe? If you jack up the rear bumper, does the rearend come down and rest on the pipe?

Autumn at Lake Barget
        In the middle of Minnestudea
        sigpic
        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Art
          What happens when you jack the car up with the jack under the frame or the bumper (heaven forbid) do you unbolt the exhaust hangers first???

Jerry Forrester
          Forrester's Chrome
          Douglasville, Georgia
          Jerry Forrester
          Forrester's Chrome
          Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

I'm still chuckling! No Jerry, I'd never jack the car up with the bumper, I'm saving it for your re-chroming. The installer is an old friend, he was just concerned about the best job he could do. I remember the "drag pipes" on old Impalas.
            I've had the car on jack stands many times, don't remember the pipes contacting the diff., but they may well be. The fuel tank is coming out soon, I'm replacing it with a fuel cell. Is there a good reason to change the tailpipe routing while I'm at it?

Art

Comment

Hey Champ, strained my arm helping someone move Weds., back to the alum radiator install this week. Keep ya posted........

Art

Comment

Only that you can't put the car on a lift/hoist for maintenance because the rear axle will be hanging on the pipes until it breaks the tailpipe hangers! Just about the dumbest idea I have ever heard of! [xx(]

StudeRich
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Good enough reason, thanks for the input Studerich. I'll check the clearance this week.

Art

Comment

Art

If he can't bend 'em and you want to work with him. Have him/you order a couple of 2.5" mandrel bent "u"s from Whitney/Summit/Jegs etc and fabricate by welding.

Bob

Comment

X-lent advice Bob. That's why I joined the forum, helps keep me out of trouble! Any advice on how to stay out of trouble with the missus?

Art

Comment

Remember when they called pipes under the axle "scavenger pipes" ?

1961 Hawk 4BC,4-SPEED,TT

Ken Byrd
                        Lewisville,NC
                        1961 Hawk ...4-Speed;4bc;Twin Traction

Ken Byrd
                        Lewisville,NC

Comment

As Champ Trucking says Don Simmons makes high quality exhaust systems. I was lucky enough to buy his last set of 2.5in mandrel bent systems,since only 5 sets were built,I feel lucky. I have used his setups on many cars and they fit proper, he he is also a GREAT Stude friend for me and my wife. Ed

Comment

Any advice on how to stay out of trouble with the missus?
                            Mine's been pretty tolerant but got awful good at asking what I was spending until I sold the coupe to build the Avanti. I shared the profit with her and you'd be amazed how tolerant she is about the cost of the Avanti.

Well! It helps she kinda likes it too.

Keep posting.

Bob

Comment

I remember "scavenger pipes" ? They were neat on some cars, usually short.

studeboro
                              sigpicstudeboro

Comment

Working...
                              X