Do I Need a Water Pump?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I Need a Water Pump?

Today I pulled the fan and hub on my Hawk so I could clean and paint them as well as the shroud. Waiting for a new heater valve so the coolant was drained already. Well there seems to be a lot of grease inside the hub and around the shaft of the pump. I thought it should be dry. No play or noise from the pump and seems to be working okay.
    If it is going bad, like a seal on the shaft, this would be the time to replace. What do you all think? How hard are these to repair the first time?
    Thanks for the thoughts

John Ratliff

Most likely the grease you found is just the accumulated oil/dirt mixture that was formed by the small amounts of oil that made it past the crankshaft front seal and was slung off the front damper by centrifugal force, front seal leaks are common to Studebaker's.
    Many times an engine will be nicely cleaned up, but the accumulated residue inside of that pulley is concealed, and is not readily apparent without disassembly.
    But carrying a spare water pump is still good cheap insurance, and the Studebaker's is one of the easiest to change there is.

Comment

Most likely the grease you found is just the accumulated oil/dirt mixture that was formed by the small amounts of oil that made it past the crankshaft front seal and was slung off the front damper by centrifugal force, front seal leaks are common to Studebaker's.
      Many times an engine will be nicely cleaned up, but the accumulated residue inside of that pulley is concealed, and is not readily apparent without disassembly.
      But carrying a spare water pump is still good cheap insurance, and the Studebaker's is one of the easiest to change there is.

Comment

Working...
      X