Chrome plastic seat covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chrome plastic seat covers

I have 2 NOS chrome plastic covers for Studebaker seats. I just don't know if they are correct for my 64 Hawk, maybe someone can help. Part #'s are 1340108 and 1340109, They are about 6"/7" tall and about 4" wide and cover the piece of vertical seat frame on the bucket seats at the pivot point.[?]
    any help is appreciated. Mark

I may be wrong, but I thought nos versions were either chromed, or painted metal and the reproductions were plastic. I have a nos set of chrome metal ones. JDP and many others know what is correct. I'm not sure if there are any point deductions for having plastic ones. I doubt it.

Comment

Plastic chrome ones were available as well as plastic colored ones

[IMG]

Home of the Fried Green Tomato
      "IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ
      1964 Daytona HT
      1966 Daytona
      sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Okay, instead of maybe, for sure I'm wrong. [B)] My 59-60 book just lists the metal ones. Does the '59-'64 book distinguish the parts between plastic and metal?

Comment

These are in the orginal Studebaker boxes, Thanks , Mark

Comment

Mark, I don't have my '59-'64 parts book to check those part numbers for plastic covers, but truthfully, after 46 years any part can find their way into an original Studebaker box. I've made that mistake on several occasions buying and not checking the part number. If the part # on the part matches the box #, you're good to go if you have the 1964 body parts book to verify it.

Comment

I purchased a new pair of chromed plastic covers from SASCO on Ebay last spring and put them on my 1963 Hawk. After having new seat covers installed, the seat backs became wider due to newly added foam and therefor they did not fit correctly and I had to improvise to make them work (I added spacers and used longer screws). My car originally had chrome plated zinc castings which were pitted and cracked.

Autumn at Lake Barget
              In the middle of Minnestudea
              sigpic
              In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Potmetal and plastic are both stock. I think the plastic ones appeared in the early 1960's cars.

Personally chrome or not, I hate the plastics. Seems like they are always breaking, especially on the driver's side just from more frequent in and out of the car. At salvage places I am always on the lookout for potmetal ones. Pits are easy to fill with bondo and then repaint.

Comment

My '63 came with chrome plastic ones...

Ron Johnston
                  1963 Studebaker Daytona HT

Comment

Thanks for all the info. Mine do match the picture above. I am getting Phantom to do the interior and need to get all my ducks in line before the York show.

Mark Plucenik
                    1964 GT Hawk
                    no picture yet. Just piles of parts

Comment

again..sounds like the dead horse show: SASCO had tons of these in NOS colors. I had to give them the serial # so that they could give me the right color for when mine (63' Rose Interior)came down the line.....er...I got it from the parts' book...

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Milaca

Oh... DROOOOL!![][][]

Gosh, I'd love to have just ONE interior that beautiful!

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                        Ron Smith
                        Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                        Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                        Ron Smith
                        Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jackb

again..sounds like the dead horse show: SASCO had tons of these in NOS colors. I had to give them the serial # so that they could give me the right color for when mine (63' Rose Interior)came down the line.....er...I got it from the parts' book...

They had a batch of the painted ones "plated" and sold them for about $30 pair. SI sells the metal ones for $100.

JDP/Maryland
                          JDP Maryland

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Plucenik

I have 2 NOS chrome plastic covers for Studebaker seats. I just don't know if they are correct for my 64 Hawk, maybe someone can help. Part #'s are 1340108 and 1340109

Mark, my '64 body parts book is at the shop where my car is stored, so I went through my older parts books here at home. 1959, 1960 & 1961 models had die cast hinge covers; Regal chrome, or DeLuxe painted. I have always (only) searched for the '59-'60 part numbers, so that's why I was unaware which model year that changed to include plastic covers. Starting in 1962 the body parts book lists plastic, as well as die cast covers. Your part numbers mentioned above are listed in 1962 as 1340108 X7 & 1340109 X7 for the plastic covers. X7 being the "Chrome" plastic description. Of course, the new plastic covers were now possible as replacements for the previous three years as of 1962. The factory just copied the early original die cast covers. SI is right, plastic never rusts. They do crack, though. Do not over tighten those two stainless screws!
                            So, to answer your original question as to whether they are "correct" or not, I'm guessing that the '59-'64 body parts book would most likely list them as (for) "all models" though not actually correct for '59-'61 cars. Unless the 1964 Hawks had specific part numbers that changed for the exact same part, your part numbers are original hinge covers and correct for your GT as of the 1962 model year.
                            I'm unsure as to whether there is an official show, other than the cars for sale in the car corral, but there sure are a lot of nice Studebakers to see at the York meet either way.
                            Have fun and good luck with your interior.

Comment

Working...
                            X