installing champion engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• installing champion engine

I bought a 48 champion but the engine was not in it. I'm putting engine in and can't fit the oil pan sump between the front crossmemeber and transmition. Also the E-brake arm mounted on the crossmember is also in the way. By looking, it appear that the oil pan sump would go in front of the front crossmember, but that makes no sense. I'm stumped. If anyone could help me out with some pointers that would be great. Thanks

quote:Originally posted by tmbmac

I bought a 48 champion... By looking, it appear that the oil pan sump would go in front of the front crossmember, but that makes no sense. I'm stumped. If anyone could help me out with some pointers that would be great. Thanks
    You must not have the required manuals for the car or you would know that the oil pan sump is forward on this model. Good luck with the car but buy the manuals and study them a bit before proceeding. Great car...enjoy it!

John Clary
    Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
    SDC member since 1975
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Thanks John, and not I dont have the manual, but the pan only fits on the engine with the sump to the rear. But I'll check again. Im new to the Studes so im sure your right.

Comment

Thanks John, and not I dont have the manual, but the pan only fits on the engine with the sump to the rear. But I'll check again. Im new to the Studes so im sure your right.

Comment

Find your engine number and post it here. It may be that you do not have the original engine. However, I have a 1953 engine in my '48 business coupe. The '48 engine oil pan fit the '53 engine with no problem. Perhaps you do not have the '48 oil pan. If not, someone here on the forum should be able to supply you one of those as well. There are several vendors that supply the manuals. You see them on eBay all the time. Where are you located? Perhaps you could find a local club member willing to coach your efforts. (even share the blame when things go wrong)

John Clary
          Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
          SDC member since 1975
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I got 2 engines with the car.
            engine # 518448-3 is that one that im trying to put in. It runs great
            engine # 524807-2 is a spare im assuming and did not have a pan on it.

I dont know which one if any came out of the car.

Comment

Those are engine block casting numbers, not engine serial numbers. 518448 was used from about 1947 to '49 or '50. 524807 was used from about 1951 to '54. Use the sump and pan from the earlier 518448 block.
              For a positive identification of these engines, find the [u]stamped</u> engine number on a 1/2" by 2" flat pad at the top, front corner, left side of the block.

Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

OK, I will keep everyone posted if I have any luck. Thanks for the info.

Comment

I found the stamped engine numbers. the one that runs in 472726 the other is 791650. Any idea which one may have came out of the car?

Comment

I'm not a six guy, but I've used the tech page before. Here is the link.

Looks like the 472726 is a 49 and the 791650 is a 51. That's if there isn't a C at the beginning of the numbers. [^]

Gordon

Comment

Working...
                    X