sun. retrobaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sun. retrobaker

Even though canted quad lights usually aren't my style, I love this pick-up. Extra cool with the six under the hood. Hope the ehxuast manifold is split as that's such a pretty exhaust tune. What's up with the sidewalls on the tires, who made the wide white/thin gold wall tires?...never seen them before. ps, dig the shirt...I want one. Junior

54 Champ C5 Hamilton car.
    sigpic
    1954 C5 Hamilton car.

There was a bubble gum card issued with that picture back in the day from Topps I believe.
    Wonder if the truck is still around.

Gary Sanders
    Nixa, MO
    President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
    Gary Sanders
    Nixa, MO

Comment

They were called Hot Rod Topics cards.
      I have a full set, with that very truck along them.

Chris Pile
      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

I'm looking at the 1/4 mile results: 17.05 e.t 92.17 mph - could that kind of combo actually pull that off? The mph seems high for the e.t.

Thomas

Comment

Junior, my dad put a set of those on his 63 C#@%^&*let wagon at our local Goodyear dealer. They had an extremely hard inner tire in them and wore out very quickly. Early "run flats" I suppose. I watched his for a few thousand miles, then put a set of Blue Streak Goodyears on my Falcon Sprint pkg. car and they wore out even quicker. Both were great looking and the ones on my car made it handle like on rails. I don't believe the gold stripe ones were on the market more than a year or two- -at least in our town. John

Comment

thanks John...so do you remember what these Goodyears were called? would like to Google them. Thanks, Junior

54 Champ C5 Hamilton car.
            sigpic
            1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

That engine is way cool!! I'd like to build up a Champ flathead 6 one of these years...[8D]

Comment

I have a shirt like that one. It's a western shirt. Wrangler I think.. I Wish I had a truck like that.

Comment

Junior, seems like they were called "double eagles". Hope thats right, but bet you can call Corky Coker's place in Chattanooga and if they are available, he'll have 'em, or correct my name of them for you and lead you right. Hope this helps, John

Comment

quote:Originally posted by j.byrd

Junior, seems like they were called "double eagles". Hope thats right, but bet you can call Corky Coker's place in Chattanooga and if they are available, he'll have 'em, or correct my name of them for you and lead you right. Hope this helps, John
                    Double Eagle is correct for those early Goodyear run-flats. My Grandpa had a set on his '57 Lincoln. I used to play hide and seek in stacks of those and other Goodyears at my Dad's tire store when I was very young. They required two air stems. One to fill that hard inner tire, and one to fill the "normal" tire.

Paul

Paul

In memory of Boris, the 1950 Land Cruiser project,
                    . . . he became a down payment for. . .
                    Natasha, the 1955 Speedster project
                    I finally have a Stude I can drive! (sort of)
                    1962 GT Hawk, 4 speed, a/c

Comment

Those angled quad headlights seem to have been a popular custom touch back in the day. I have seen them on Ford F100's, '50 Mercs and the like.

I agree 92 mph in the quarter for a Champion powered pickup sounds a little high to me, no matter what the modifications to the engine were.

Joe Roberts
                      '61 R1 Champ
                      '65 Cruiser
                      Editor of "The Down Easterner"
                      Eastern North Carolina Chapter
                      Joe Roberts
                      '61 R1 Champ
                      '65 Cruiser
                      Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Working...
                      X