X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lark vs Plymouth Comparison

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2

Studebaker Diners Club

The Valiant and Lancer are two of Mopar' offerings that -no matter WHAT you did- you could not make them look any better. Two of the ugliest designs in the automotive world. [xx(][xx(] I'll take the LARK any day!

Frank Remlinger
    SDC# A004602R
    Frank Remlinger
    Detroit, Michigan
    SDC# A004602R

Comment

Which 6 cyl engine would you rather have?

Don Wilson
      53 Commander Hardtop
      64 Champ 1/2 ton
      Centralia, WA
      Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
      50 Champion 2 door*
      53 Commander K Auto*
      53 Commander K overdrive*
      55 President Speedster
      62 GT 4Speed*
      63 Avanti R1*
      64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

quote:Originally posted by ddub

Which 6 cyl engine would you rather have?
        Slant 6, hands down for me!

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
        Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

depends on what years you're talking about. I think the 65-66 Darts in particular are nice looking small cars. Now the early 60's ones... yeah, fugly.

nate

--
          55 Commander Starlight
          --
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Yes the slant 6 gets my vote we had an older engine stuck in a 70 Dart and we just beat the crap out of it til the rear spring front perch came up thru the floor from rust.
            Tom

sigpic

Comment

anybody got the sales figures by comparison ??

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jackb

anybody got the sales figures by comparison ??
                1962 Lark 6:

1962 Lark 8:

1962 Valiant:
                V100 2 dr: 19679
                V100 4 dr: 33769
                V200 2 dr: 8484
                V200 4 dr: 55789

1962 Dodge Lancer:
                Lancer 170: 19780
                Lancer 770: 30888

Now, if you could get the Mopar "Leaning Tower of Power" under the hood of the Lark, then you would have a great package (as far as 6 cylinder performance/MPG is concerned). [8D]

Frank Remlinger
                SDC# A004602R
                Frank Remlinger
                Detroit, Michigan
                SDC# A004602R

Comment

I learned to drive on a 1969 Dodge Dart with a 225 CID slant six and a 3 speed on column. The initial version (new in 1959) was 170 CID and put out 101 BHP & 155 ft-lbs. The 225 CID put out 145 BHP & 215 ft-lbs. Mopar quit the use of the slant six in US cars in 1983; US trucks in 1987; and marine use until 1991. When they closed the Trenton engine plant the slant six was continued in use in S. America being built at a plant in Toluca, Mexico until 2003. The slant six was replaced with the 3.9L magnum V6.

Here's a great resource with info: http://www.allpar.com/slant6.html

John

63R-2386 under restoration & modification
                  sigpic
                  John
                  63R-2386
                  Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

And with a little maintaince, the Slant 6 was easily good for 400,000 miles![:0]

KURTRUK
                    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln
                    KURTRUK
                    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

I had a 225 slant six in a '77 Plymouth Volare Station Wagon when I was in college. That engine used a quart of oil every 1,000 miles - nothing seemed to work in fixing it. HOWEVER, its power was superior to just about anything I have owned - V-8, V-6 or boxer 4, and silky smooth to anything I have driven except my two Maxima's with the Z V-6 engines. The Slant Six was responsive, and if it was working hard, you never could tell.

And that car itself - save for the rust issues, has been my all time favorite, and most reliable car with the exception of my two Maxima's. Had it not rusted into dust, I would still have it.

Stu K

'63 Lark Regal, "Miss Rose"

Comment

Posted - 02/28/2010 : 09:35:53 AM
                        --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Valiant and Lancer are two of Mopar' offerings that -no matter WHAT you did- you could not make them look any better. Two of the ugliest designs in the automotive world. I'll take the LARK any day!

Frank Remlinger
                        SDC# A004602R

In my neighborhood we called them space ships. I agree with you.

Gary Sanders
                        Nixa, MO
                        President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
                        Gary Sanders
                        Nixa, MO

Comment

quote:Originally posted by kurtruk

And with a little maintaince, the Slant 6 was easily good for 400,000 miles![:0]
                          Unfortunatetly that "MAINTENCE" would involve about three or four complete rebuilds and heavy duty STEEL aftermarket timing sprocket replacement at 70 to 100,000 miles or you would have a clogged oil pump pickup screen, wasted rods, and maybe mains with the chunks of the OEM plastic timing sprocket tooth coating! [xx(]

Other than that, a great little engine! [^]

A bit of personal experience here! [xx(]

StudeRich
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

quote:Originally posted by kurtruk

Unfortunatetly that "MAINTENCE" would involve about three or four complete rebuilds and heavy duty STEEL aftermarket timing sprocket replacement at 70 to 100,000 miles or you would have a clogged oil pump pickup screen, wasted rods, and maybe mains with the chunks of the OEM plastic timing sprocket tooth coating! [xx(]

Other than that, a great little engine! [^]

A bit of personal experience here! [xx(]
                            That's pretty rare, Rich. I had probably over a hundred or so over the years and NEVER had any of those problems. I never had one apart, EVER. I sent many to the crusher running perfectly because there was nothing left of the rest of the car, and they were so bullet-proof they weren't worth squat since no one ever needed them. I saw plenty of them go several hundred thousand miles over the years, and again, never any problems.

I used to but those early 70s Swingers and Valiants that had rusted torsion bar pockets; we'd jack them up, back the adjustment bolt all the way off, twist the pocket back where it belonged, plate it, turn the bolt back in, and drive. Many times I bought one for $25-$50 laying on the ground and fixed it and drove. Eventually the other one would go, then the rear spring mounts would go up through the trunk. As they let go we'd fix 'em and continue driving; had the repairs down to a science.

Great cars that I will always have a soft spot for[^]

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
                            Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by okc63avanti

I learned to drive on a 1969 Dodge Dart with a 225 CID slant six and a 3 speed on column. The initial version (new in 1959) was 170 CID and put out 101 BHP & 155 ft-lbs. The 225 CID put out 145 BHP & 215 ft-lbs. Mopar quit the use of the slant six in US cars in 1983; US trucks in 1987; and marine use until 1991. When they closed the Trenton engine plant the slant six was continued in use in S. America being built at a plant in Toluca, Mexico until 2003. The slant six was replaced with the 3.9L magnum V6.
                              I don't remember what years, but Chrysler offered a souped up version of the 225- four barrel carb plus. It was a screamer.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Working...
                              X