1948 Commander Starlight.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1948 Commander Starlight.

I have a chance to buy a '48 Commander Starlight coupe.
    What is the weight of the "6" vs a Stude V-8?
    The planar front end is greek to me. Can such a car handle the V-8? Jim Turner doesn't have a brake kit for such a beast. Will any more efficient brake set up exchange?
    Will a #44 rear replace the #41?
    Are the frame rails of the later cars the same width, i.e.: can a "clip" from a later car be grafted on? Hope beyond hope, will the later front end bolt in?
    All this information go into the decision to buy or not.
    I already recognize the "keep it bone stock" arguement, I buy it in some cases, but not this one, so that is not what I need to know. I want a rust free (by Arizona Standards) 2 door to make a Stude powered mild rod. The '57 2 door President fell through. This is one of the alternatives.
    Thanks,

Kelly J. Marion

Put it on a Chevy S10 pickup frame!
    Someone here must have done that already.
    Use a more disposable body such as a Lark.
    Rust free Starlights are getting rare

Comment

I might have found a suitable alternative. I don't want to get into the "stock vs hot rod" debate. I see both sides. Many cars were crushed when the ferrous metal prices went through the roof recently. Some were sold by collectors as well as wrecking yards. Clean nice cars are scarce, but a person can't save 'em all. I understand the concerns, but really have mixed feelings. I've seen a lot of cars molder away while someone waits to "restore it someday". Almost the number taken apart by a well meaning hot rodders and left in pieces. At least the pieces are available.
      Point taken, though.

Kelly J. Marion

Comment

The planar suspension is no big issue. The big difference is just the leaf spring instead of the coils used in later cars. If all of the parts are in good condition, w/ steering box & king pins tight, and everything in proper alignment, you should have no issues. The big Commander brakes are pretty decent, or can be changed to 54 & later style, or upgraded to disks for more stopping power. The stout Commander fr suspension will hold the Stude V8 engine without any problem, the '48 rear end is good(especially if you are using an OD trans.), but can be easily replaced with a later V8 rear for more favorable axle ratio; & the roomy engine compartment will make V8 installation pretty easy as long you can make the exhaust clear the suspension. I consider the Commander frame to be tougher than the 4x2 blazer frame.

Barry'd in Studes

Comment

Late model Vettes are still using planar suspension - keeps 'em low.

Chris Pile
          The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Working...
          X