The great state of our forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The great state of our forum

I just checked the stats and by the data available on the site we have 4921 members. We have gained 98 members in the last 30 days of which 51 have posted.

If you take the time to look at most of the posts, they were questions about Studebakers that were addressed by the forum members with reasonable attempts to answer the posts. In most cases there was thanks for the help.

We are a large community of various interests with a Marque that is highly modified because the body style draws many non-traditional owners that tend to add there engines and running gear to our great style. I'm guilty of that in spades.

There are not many sites that have this level of participation that can maintain the decorum we have. A lot of Marque specific sites have many fewer members that don't have the the issues of diversity we have.

Our biggest problem is a tendency to react to most any negative post with a flurry of commentary both affirming and decrying the subject ad nausium.

But in retrospect, we in great numbers address issues and keep an orphan marque on the road better than most.

I've grown weary with watching the minutia dragging a great asset down.

Let's continue with our business and let the occasional diversion fade into the sunset.

Bob

a tendency to react to most any negative post

Not unexpectedly, positive posts like this one languish.

I'm with you, Bob, we do a good job, answering both basic and highly technical questions without rancor, usually with thanks.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
    Tom Bredehoft
    '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
    '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
    ....On the road, again....
    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All Indiana built cars

Comment

Amen!

I see no reason to drag a good thing down because of a few issues or a few posters.

I think barnlark (Dave) said it best when he said in another post: "If you were in a room with 100 people, would you expect to get along and agree with them all?

Our Forum may not be perfect, but is at least as good, and in most cases much better than others out there, not that we need to be compared to anyone.

Concentrating on all of the good this forum has done is a much better thing to focus on. [^]

StudeRich
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Our forum is not perfect, but we are the best of the non perfects.[^][][8D]

Chris Dresbach

1940 Champion two door.
        Parts of the 1952 Model N
        Chris Dresbach

Comment

Chris Dresbach

1940 Champion two door.
          Chris Dresbach

Comment

Chris Dresbach

1940 Champion two door.
            Chris Dresbach

Comment

Chris whats up with the triple post.Ive notice you sometimes have doubles also. [?] Sometime when I have an item to post and a time out or error 500 comes up Ill look and see if it post and it usually does. Hopesthis helps

Tom

sigpic

Comment

Yeah, I've done that a good few times too. There's a delete option on each post...if I end up duplicating one I just delete the redundancy.

And yes, as I've said quite a few times, this forum rocks. (Example: a quick vector to some needed parts from a forum member, resulting in my short trip tomorrow to neighboring Waterdown to acquire said parts. Without the Forum and its observant members I'd have had nary a clue the stuff was available.)

Cheers

S.

Comment

I agree that the forum is fun and rewarding if you take the time to ask questions. I loved the comment about keeping our "Orphan" marque alive and well. I must love orphans as I also have a Henry J in progress. I have won a "Best Orpan" Trophy at a Northwest Rod Run.
                  Keep the forum hopping!!
                  Good Roads.
                  Brian

Brian Woods
                  woodysrods@shaw.ca
                  1946 M Series (Shop Truck)
                  Brian Woods
                  woodysrods@shaw.ca
                  1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

There's an interesting thought. Our cars are "orphans" because their parents are gone, but they sure have a great family to support them.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
                    Tom Bredehoft
                    '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
                    '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
                    ....On the road, again....
                    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
                    All Indiana built cars

Comment

I'm not sure it's as bad as all that.

Yes, we have the occasional troll who tries to pick fights.
                      And yes, sometimes guys will make [u]less than polite</u> comments about non-members cars they find on the web. But usually, its harmless car guy to car guy stuff.
                      If you customize a car and aren't prep[ared for everyone in t he world to love your "vision" I'd politely suggest you're far too senitive to be on the internet. Judging by the "rat rod" guys I see at some shows, I think they judge their success by how many other guys they can make mad.
                      And, I'd hope they they'd consider the source...I'd hope they'd expect members of the club to take some offense to modifing their "baby" (make).
                      In other words, if I paint a Rolls like a NASCAR racer, I'm gonna expect members of the Rolls Royce Owners Club not to be too enthuiastic about it.

I think members here are generally very careful [u]not</u> to go out of their way to critisize other members cars.
                      Sure there are disagreements, but I don't think anyone should take it too seriously.

A lot of the old time Stude guys here have expressed the opinion that they don't particulary care for the looks of the Avanti.
                      Okay, I own one and I'm in the middle of a (semi-high dollar) restoration of it, but their comments aren't about to drive me away from the forum or club.
                      Why?
                      Glad you asked. The benefits & fun far outweigh their opinions to me. Besides, I figure they have a differences in taste.
                      I don't expect EVBERYONE to love the Avanti as much as I do, anymore than I expect them to not drink because I don't or own a basset hound because I do.
                      The fact that they don't share my opinions doesn't bother me in the least.

After all, I probably wouldn't spend huge money restoring a GT or bulletnose. Yes, they're nice, but they're not what drives me wild. Everyone had different tastes.
                      I'm a grown up (okay, sort of) and accept it.

63 Avanti R1 2788
                      1914 Stutz Bearcat
                      (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                      63 Avanti R1 2788
                      1914 Stutz Bearcat
                      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I think this forum is great. Yes, I miss some of the old posters, and hopefully they will come back sometime. If not that's OK too. I personally have been trying to lurk less nad post more whenever I feel I have something relevant to add. I belong to the Buick V8 forum, and the vintage mustang forum, and everything on those forums is not all warm and fuzzy there either. All in all it's pretty good here. I do see things that bother me, and I have been "sucked in" to some of the political topics. Maybe we should start being more positive and less negative.

66 Commander R1 Clone
                        51 Commander 4dr
                        1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Thank you, Kurt.
                          Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

This forum is in the real world, unlike the "Stude-utopia" in my head. So I understand when sometimes the discussion runs off the tracks. I just try to remember the golden rule and the one my mother taught me about not saying anything if I can't say something nice. If those two fail me I apply the "better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open my mouth and remove all doubt rule".
                            The world of Studebaker is quite vast and some folks will look at things differently than I do. If they enjoy their favorite things as much as I do mine, they must be having a lot of fun!
                            I have enjoyed countless hours reading interesting thoughts and viewing some incredible pictures and you tube videos.

I agree with Bob, there is wayyy more good going on here than anything else.

Pat Casey
                            55 Commander
                            58 Transtar
                            62 GT Hawk
                            66 Cruiser
                            SDC Member since 1983

Comment

I'm fairly new to Studebaker's and this forum and I usually just read and lurk. I own just one Studebaker and three other brand-X collector cars.

That being said I have posted questions and a few comments that I thought advanced the conversation; in all of my posts I can say that I've been treated well. In fact I find this is the first forum I navagate to. If you want to see rough and tumble try the Corvette C-2 forum.

I guess the old kindergarden rule should always apply"

"PLAY NICE"

Just my thoughts, Murray

Studebaker’s New V-8 Triumph and tragedy, An Independent Automobile Company’s quest to survive a change in it’s reality. By: Murray D. Stahl...

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

http://sites.google.com/site/intrigu...tivehistories/

(/url) https://goo.gl/photos/ABBDQLgZk9DyJGgr5

Comment

Working...
                              X