Sacramento ---> La Palma ---> Glendale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sacramento ---> La Palma ---> Glendale

There is a group from the Karel Staple chapter that will be leaving the Sacramento area early on Saturday morning 5/29 driving down US-99 through Bakersfield and on to La Palma so we cn attend the show there on Sunday. From there we plan to join the Caravan to Glendale on Monday if you will have us, :-). We have located the Anaheim Park Hotel in Fullerton to stay on Saturday and Sunday night. It is a 3 Star hotel and they say they have parking lot security. If you book through www.easyclicktravel.com the prepaid rate is just $57 per night. We would be happy to have people join our Studebaker wagon train along the way, I have volunteered to be the "wagon master" for our group. Send me a note if you want to join us. Let me know where and I should be able to give you an approximate time we will be coming through your town. You folks coming from North of us if you would like to join us from Sacramento on South we would love to have you. Let me know and I will make sure you know our meeting place on Saturday morning.

Wagons Ho!!

Pat

Pat Dilling
    Olivehurst, CA
    Custom '53 Starlight aka Stu Cool

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611
    Pat Dilling
    Olivehurst, CA
    Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

I plan to join the caravan but turn off at Bakersfield and head to Vegas. We will spend Saturday night, all day Sunday and leave for Arizona early Monday morning.

If you would like to make a Vegas diversion, let me know. Hopefully we can get some people to caravan from Vegas on Monday morning.

Send me PM if interested.

Jon Stalnaker
    Editor, Hawk Talks
    Karel Staple Chapter SDC
    Jon Stalnaker
    Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

I will likely join you as far as the La Palma meet. Looks like I won't be able to come up with the sheckles for the Glendale meet. Besides, If I did, it would mean another six days or more and I have livestock to be concerned about. So far, there's no one available to look after them.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
      Ron Smith
      Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
      Ron Smith
      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Wow that sounds like a LOT of fun......I'd love to join your caravan!
        I live in Oakland so would have to meet you in Sacto.
        If you could e-mail with the info when you get everything settled I would really appreciate it!
        Dean Lekas

studelark60@comcast.net

Comment

I'll be trailering my '52 Commander from Stockton and would like to be part of this caravan. I can meet you somewhere along 99 or I can offer my house (closer to I-5) as a "pit stop" location.
          Lou
          Lou Van Anne
          62 Champ
          64 R2 GT Hawk
          79 Avanti II

Comment

Glad to see some interest building. When we have done this in the past we have met at Flag City in Lodi at the I-5/Highway 12 intersection. Then traveled south to Stockton and took the cross town freeway over to Highway 99. Coming from Oakland, you may save some mileage coming across 580/205 to Stockton and catching us there. I will keep everyone posted in this thread and via email. Always open to navigation suggestions as well.

Pat

Pat Dilling
            Olivehurst, CA
            '54 Conestoga Future Project

Pat Dilling
            Olivehurst, CA

Comment

sounds fun!

1951 Rod
              1962 Champ
              1963 Avanti R1
              1963 GT Hawk R2 4 speed
              1964 Daytona Convertible
              2006 Avanti Convertible
              1951 Custom
              1958 Packard Hawk < resto project
              1962 Champ
              1963 Standard R1 4 speed
              1963 Avanti R1
              1963 GT Hawk R2 4 speed
              2006 Avanti Convertible

Comment

Lou, It looks like your house in Stockton would be a great meeting point for those of us coming from North and from Bay Area and Dixon. Is there an easy fuel stop near by where we can all start full from there? By my count we have 3 coming from Sac and points North, Jon from Dixon, Studelark60 from Oakland, Lou from Stockton and jgrohs are you joining us? Anyone else want in? I would like to see us leave Lou's place in Stockton no later than 8 a.m. Earlier if all can make it. Plan to drive at about 60 mph for the trailer towers if everyone is comfortable with that speed. We can plan comfort and fuel stops every couple hours and fit lunch in on one of those. That would get us in the vicinity of La Palma between 4 and 5 p.m. and since it is a week-end, hopefully traffic will not be too bad. Comments? Suggestions?

Pat Dilling
                Olivehurst, CA

Pat Dilling
                Olivehurst, CA

Comment

Pat & all those interested: After rethinking using my house as a meeting point in Stockton I have come to the conclusion that it would be easier if meet a little further on down 99. This would avoid an extra 30+ miles of driving for those folks coming out of the Bay Area and eliminate the hassle of getting off the freeway and trying to find my house. I am suggesting that we meet up at the Arco station at 4224 Salida Blvd, Salida,(just north of Modesto). There is a McDonalds next door with plenty of parking. This location cannot be missed as it is very visable from the Freeway...an easy off and easy on. What do you think?
                  Lou Van Anne
                  Lou Van Anne
                  62 Champ
                  64 R2 GT Hawk
                  79 Avanti II

Comment

Lou,

That sounds like a good plan to me. We can all get fresh fuel and coffee if we need it. I will calculate a good time and post it here and send everyone a note as we get closer.

Pat Dilling
                    Olivehurst, CA

Pat Dilling
                    Olivehurst, CA

Comment

I believe you are referring to the Pelandale exit off Hwy 99.

Jon Stalnaker
                      Editor, Hawk Talks
                      Karel Staple Chapter SDC
                      Jon Stalnaker
                      Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Okay... all of this sounds fine, how about times, folks? Pat, when does your group plan (roughly) to pass through Redding? I could meet you in the down-town area, north of town, south of town, wherever it's convenient. Times are crucial though. A meeting place would be nice too.

Ron Smith
                        Ron Smith

Comment

Our group is starting from the general Sacramento area Ron. I think the group that was starting further North has fizzled out. We do have one couple starting from Chico and meeting us in Sacramento. The crew leaving Sacramento should be at Rick and Johnna Piece's house at 7:30, it is near Sutterville Road and I-5. I will post the address as soon as I have it. For those coming from South, East or West of Sacramento, let's all plan to meet at the Arco Station, 4224 Salida Blvd, Salida,(just north of Modesto). That is the Pelandale Exit on Highway 99 as Jon said. Jon, If you want, you can save driving into Sacramento and meet us at Highway 12 and I-5 or meet us at the Arco. Everyone be at the Arco in time to drive away at 9 a.m. It is about 350 miles from the Arco station to the Anaheim Park Hotel in Fullerton which should be about 6 hours actual driving time. Add in some time for lunch, fuel and nature stops and we should be there by 5 p.m. without any problem. Our planned traveling speed is 60 mph to accommodate those with trailers or slower cars. I have calculated stops at Selma and Grapevine which will be about 2 hours apart. If anyone has suggestions for specific stopping points please post them. If there is anyone else that wants to join in along the way please let me know where so we can give you approximate times. For those traveling with us, please send me your cell phone numbers via email. I want to make sure I know who all will be in our caravan so we don't leave without you. I will post a list of who is in the wagon train as we get close to leaving.

Wagons Ho!

Pat

Pat Dilling
                          Olivehurst, CA

Pat Dilling
                          Olivehurst, CA

Comment

The Arco station is very easy to find, just take the Peledale exit. In addition to McDonalds, there is a Del Taco, Denny's and a Fairfield Inn. 9:00 sounds good.
                            Lou Van Anne
                            Lou Van Anne
                            62 Champ
                            64 R2 GT Hawk
                            79 Avanti II

Comment

Well, Pat, if you folks would have me, I'd like to meet you at the Piece's, thanks.

I do have one concern though. My '56 wagon (Bess) won't have any trouble with sixty or seventy MPH if I can get her back together in time (though I'm not comfortable there). My truck, however, is just an old farm truck and struggles at over the double nickel. Hopefully there will be other slow-pokes in the group?[:I][8)]

Ron Smith
                              Ron Smith

Comment

Working...
                              X