Just finished the truck drum interchange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just finished the truck drum interchange

I finally got around to changing my 62 Champ drums to the Chevy drums. I found the info in the forum and other web sites to be helpful but lacking. no one said anything about the wheel studs. The standard wheel stud (Dorman-610-036)would protrude above the face of the hub. Meaning you will have to open the drum holes to 5/8 inch.(I don't remember seeing that info either) so the drum will lay flat. I looked in every parts book I could find but all of the shoulders of the studs were to long. I had two different parts stores look and the machine shop try to find a stud with a short shoulder. NO LUCK. All were to long. I needed longer than stock studs and found one that was a 1 1/2 inch long (dorman 610-120)and one with a larger shoulder size and 1 3/4 inch long(Dorman 610-174)to use if your holes were larger. I still had to open the 1/2 inch holes in the drum to 5/8 inch but everything worked out great. no more beating on the puller to remove the hubs so you can check the rear brakes. Bob
    I you wish to see pictures go to my club web site and look at the page titled Bob's Shop.

55pres- Cascade Chapter Oregon

Interesting... Thanks for documenting and posting this Bob.

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar Deluxe
    Vancouver Island Chapter
    http://visdc.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>

Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander

Comment

Bob, which Chevy drums are you talking about? What year-range of models?

(edit)

Okay, I see from your article. But now I can't see the pictures included. My being on dial-up might have something to do with it as there's a lot of graphics on the page.

(yet another edit)

All right, it's a '79 with finned 11" drums. Well, wouldn't it have been easier to have used the brakes from say a '63 Lark if you were just looking for 11" drums? I'm not being cheeky here, just a bit confused.[8)]
      Okay

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
      Ron Smith
      Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
      Ron Smith
      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studeclunker

Bob, which Chevy drums are you talking about? What year-range of models?

(edit)

Okay, I see from your article. But now I can't see the pictures included. My being on dial-up might have something to do with it as there's a lot of graphics on the page.

(yet another edit)

All right, it's a '79 with finned 11" drums. Well, wouldn't it have been easier to have used the brakes from say a '63 Lark if you were just looking for 11" drums? I'm not being cheeky here, just a bit confused.[8)]
        Okay

Ron Smith
        Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?

He has a truck, so Lark drums are a no go.

JDP/Maryland
        JDP Maryland

Comment

unless you redrill the drums for the larger pattern, and that's ASSuming that they're the same width.

On the flip side, if they ARE the same width, could you have a machine shop redrill them for 5 on 4.5 and use them on a pass car?

nate

--
          55 Commander Starlight
          --
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

The front hubs do fit but the rear hubs are to small. the rear axle on the truck is much larger. So you would have a 5x5 bolt pattern on the rear and a 5x4 1/2 on the front. A new Studebaker 11 inch drum cost $199.95 a new Chevy 11 inch drum cost $95. Drilling a Studebaker drum for 5x5 pattern? Having a double set of holes on a truck that you haul heavy stuff might not be wise. Chevy drums on a car? The Front truck hub will work. The rear might if you used a axle from a truck 44 rear to a car 44 rear axle. I have never tried it but it is something to think about. Bob

Comment

no, I was thinking take the bare Chevy truck drum and redrill it to the car bolt pattern to use on the front of a car, instead of having to source unobtanium Stude car front drums if yours wore out. Are they 2" wide?

nate

--
              55 Commander Starlight
              --
              55 Commander Starlight
              http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

The Chevy drums are 2 1/4 wide.

Comment

Working...
                X