Carb Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb Leak

I also have an issue with the WCFB I just had rebuilt. I bought a kit from SI and took it to carb rebuild guy in my town. He is an older mechanic so at least he knew what it was.

Got the carb back and installed it with a new gasket that came with the kit. Pumped fuel up to the carb by spinning the engine. Hooked the line back up and tried to start. I always give a little splash of gas down the throat of a carb before I start cranking an engine that hasn't run for a while.

As soon as I poured gas in the throat of the carb, some ran out on the intake manifold[:0]. I pulled the carb back off and discovered there are a couple recessed areas on each side of the carb base plate. This appears to be where the gas was leaking out from. In each of these recessed arease I can see a screw head and a couple little mystery holes.

Any ideas on what I need to look for to get this leak fixed?
    Wayne
    "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Are you certain that it didn't just leak out past the shaft that holds the throttle plates? FWIW, I'd recommend a very short burst of starting fluid. Less chance of setting things on fire (at least losing your eyebrows!) and easier to control.

Comment

It may have come out around the shaft, I've just never seen that before. Of course I'm used to working with Holley not Carter carbs.

Shouldn't those shafts have a seal on them?
      Wayne

sigpic

Comment

You shouldnt need to poor any gas or fluid down the carb to get the car started. The fuel pump should quickly fill up the carb while cranking the engine while at the same time pumping oil throughout the engine for lubrication.

Autumn at Lake Barget
        In the middle of Minnestudea
        sigpic
        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

While I can't speak with certainty about the WCFB, my experience hasn't shown there to typically be seals on that shaft. The fit is close enough there isn't a problem. Normally, there is no reason to remove that shaft and/or thottle plates when performing a normal rebuild.

Comment

Took a closer look at the carb tonight. When I just pump the accelerator, I get a little leakage that does seem to be coming from around the throttle plate shaft. The car did start tonight. No leaks when running. Just seems to happen when there is liquid fuel in the throat of the carb.

Never seen a carb leak around the shaft before. Is this common for the WCFB or do I have a big problem?
            Wayne

sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X