Another Speedster bites the dust!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Speedster bites the dust!

Too bad what this guy did to a Speedster. It's nicely done, but I wish he hadn't used a Speedster.

Chip
    '63 Cruiser daily driver
    '57 Packard wagon on the road!
    Chip
    '63 Cruiser
    '57 Packard wagon
    '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
    '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

The listing details makes mention of how rare the Speedsters are. But with the many modifications made to this car, its not really a Speedster anymore. What they have there is a very nice hot rod, but it's no longer a true Speedster (in my opinion).

Autumn at Lake Barget
    In the middle of Minnestudea
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

I think he did a nice job !

John

63R-2386 under restoration & modification
      sigpic
      John
      63R-2386
      Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

Not my cup of tea. The whole idea of taking chrome bumpers regardless of condition and painting them is a complete turnoff for me. But I am sure there is a percentage on the forum that love it.

Comment

Nice car if you are into rods but I agree that it is a shame that it happened to a rare Speedster. He should have built a 53 0r 54. No doubt it will get some good bids, though. The bumpers are chrome, but the builder wasn't ready to drop $1600. into Chrome for the grill pieces on a rod, and you can't blame him.

Barry'd in Studes

Comment

I think it is a nice job, except the BBC engine.[xx(] One the other hand, I wouln't mind seeing a "before" picture of this car. The reason I say that is because I REALLY HOPE this thing was a nasty, bombed out speedster and it was easier to do this than restore it, and saved it from going to a scrap yard. If that's how it started out, he did a good job. Now, if it started out a really nice speedster, well..[?]

Chris Dresbach

1940 Champion two door.
            Parts of the 1952 Model N
            Chris Dresbach

Comment

I don't think that's even a Speedster dash. Looks like a Hawk dash plate to me.

Paul

Paul

In memory of Boris, the 1950 Land Cruiser project,
              . . . he became a down payment for. . .
              Natasha, the 1955 Speedster project
              I finally have a Stude I can drive! (sort of)
              1962 GT Hawk, 4 speed, a/c

Comment

I like this one...the bumpers haven't been painted, just the chrome upper "snout" (which even Mr Bourke, who designed the car, would have preferred be body-colour). Would I rather a stock Speedster? Well, particularly if this one started as an intact original rather than little more than a hulk, yes; but would I be pleased to be seen driving this bowtie-powered red rocket around southern Ontario regardless? Again...yes. This car really catches the eye.

(I'd probably add some white to the overall red though, for a nice "Canada Day" effect...)

S.

Comment

Do we know if it is a true Speedster? I do like the painted grille work on this one, some colors dont make the painting of them look right.
                  Tom

sigpic

Comment

If he would chrome the V and S in the grill cavity, it would give it a better balance. Also a set of GT headlight rings really works on that year of car. We've seen that on others and it looks great.

Doug
                    Venice, Florida
                    1950 Champion
                    9G F1

Comment

Our feelings come from the perspective of being Studebaker enthusiasts. Most people couldn't care less about Studebakers and what models are significant. Probably this was built by a guy who just saw a cool body style and got an idea for a different street rod. Or maybe he didn't know what he was looking for and came across this in a barn for a cheap price so said what the heck, why not? I could picture somebody rolling it in the shop and doing what so many of the TV shows do- immediately toss the running gear and suspension without so much as a second look, chop off that weird-looking front clip, and starting from there. Happens all the time. I'd bet a build of this quality started with a pretty solid specimen, but I doubt he went looking specifically for a Speedster.

Maybe they got most of the way into the build and came across the info on the rarity. Instead of doing what a lot of us would do- hesitating about rodding a rare car- he may have just thought "hey neat, I'll remember to mention that when I sell it". Of course, being that modified it doesn't really matter much anymore.

At least it looks like a quality build.[8D]

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
                      Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Beautiful job. I wish he wouldn't use the words restored and rod together, but it's a fine looking car.

"In the heart of Arkansas."
                        1952 Champion Starlight w/overdrive. Searcy, Arkansas
                        Searcy, Arkansas
                        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                        1952 2R pickup

Comment

Not my cup of tea. In fact it's not even a Studebaker. A hotrod maybe, but not a Studebaker.
                          Just my 2 cents.
                          Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                          Smithtown,NY
                          Long Island Studebaker Club
                          '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                          Smithtown,NY
                          Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 52-fan

Beautiful job. I wish he wouldn't use the words restored and rod together, but it's a fine looking car.

1952 Champion Starlight w/overdrive. Searcy, Arkansas
                            Well maybe it was a rod when he got it but it was well used and he restored back to it's former rodified glory as a rod.[}]

Jerry Forrester
                            Forrester's Chrome
                            Douglasville, Georgia
                            Jerry Forrester
                            Forrester's Chrome
                            Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Looks like a very nice job! Speedster or not he should have lost that ugly hood & grill while he was at it.
                              But everyone has a different point of view and different tastes.
                              This car will probably see more miles per year than most restored Studes.
                              Brian

Brian Woods
                              woodysrods@shaw.ca
                              1946 M Series (Shop Truck)
                              Brian Woods
                              woodysrods@shaw.ca
                              1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Working...
                              X