Studebaker pocket watch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker pocket watch

Not a expert, but seems like a good deal.

JDP/Maryland
    JDP Maryland

Check E-bay. Better deals available.

Comment

A wuick look at a Pocket Watch price guide and a call to George Rittenour a renown Studebaker watch expert will tell you that is a fair and reasonable price for that watch in that condition. Jp thanks for posting the link.
      sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Avantidon

A wuick look at a Pocket Watch price guide and a call to George Rittenour a renown Studebaker watch expert will tell you that is a fair and reasonable price for that watch in that condition. Jp thanks for posting the link.
        It's less than I've paid for a 21 jewel, but I have not kept up with the market.

JDP/Maryland
        JDP Maryland

Comment

This watch is over priced. Be patient and you can buy them for half that price. This watch also has a refinished dial on it and the design is not anything that South Bend Watch Co. put out. Another thing to be careful of is buying 12s Studebaker watches that have dials on them that say Studebaker Motor Special. These are new fake dials that have recently been made and at least one person is selling them as NOS. South Bend Watch Co. made 60,000 of the 12s Studebaker watches so they are extremely common. I am not a dealer but I have been collecting and researching the South Bend Watch Co. foe 35 years and have more data then anybody in the world. I did publish a book on the South Bend Watch Co. about 12 years ago and it sold out very quick. I am now just about ready to put out an updated version. Watches are like cars, the more original the better. When it comes to watches there are a lot of shysters out there. Be careful. If anybody needs info on the South Bend Watch Co. please email me and I will be glad to answer. lylestratton@att.net

Comment

I agree with Mr. Stratton on this one.
            I collect Studebaker and South Bend watches when I find them.
            I usually get mine for much less in unrestored condition from estate sales, antique malls, and pawn shops.
            I rarely pay more than $100 for them.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by LStratton

This watch is over priced. Be patient and you can buy them for half that price. This watch also has a refinished dial on it and the design is not anything that South Bend Watch Co. put out. Another thing to be careful of is buying 12s Studebaker watches that have dials on them that say Studebaker Motor Special. These are new fake dials that have recently been made and at least one person is selling them as NOS. South Bend Watch Co. made 60,000 of the 12s Studebaker watches so they are extremely common. I am not a dealer but I have been collecting and researching the South Bend Watch Co. foe 35 years and have more data then anybody in the world. I did publish a book on the South Bend Watch Co. about 12 years ago and it sold out very quick. I am now just about ready to put out an updated version. Watches are like cars, the more original the better. When it comes to watches there are a lot of shysters out there. Be careful. If anybody needs info on the South Bend Watch Co. please email me and I will be glad to answer. lylestratton@att.net
              I wondered about the dial script, none of mine have it. BTW, I saw one of those Chinese reproductions sell on ebay here:

JDP/Maryland
              JDP Maryland

Comment

It's a lot cheaper than most of the Packard watches I've come across. I'm not a big fan of 12s watches anyway, I like the 18s ones, and those are astronomical.

Eric Boyle
                Packard Engineering, LTD.
                Wichita, Ks.

Comment

Thank you to the watch experts for chiming in. [^] I sure would have not known any of that, never having owned one. I'd love to have at least one good one, but would never know what to look out for when they show up. Thanks again.

Comment

Thanks JDP for the link. I missed it. If there is a market for things like this somebody will make them. He seems to be targeting the Studebaker drivers. I am a firm believer that if it is not made by the South Bend Watch Co. then it is junk. $289 seems to be over the top for a chinese movement but then what he is doing is not illegal.

Comment

Mr Stratton, actually what the fellow's doing is illegal. He's promoting his product as if it is an original and not revealing it is a reproduction. That's actually fraud as he is intentionally decieveing the buyer. However, this is a case that would likely difficult to prosecute (IMHO).

Nonetheless, I'd love to have one of the originals. I carry a pocket-watch and would really get a kick out of 'Studebaker Watch.' I'll have to save my pennies and look around this spring at the meet.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                      Ron Smith
                      Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                      Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                      Ron Smith
                      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Actually the pocket watches with South Bend on the dial and "The Studebaker" on the movement are the most desirable collectible watches in 16 and 18 size. There were no 12size of these made.
                        The "The Studebaker" pocket watches are more expensive.
                        Chuck

Comment

Clunker -

What he's doing is illegal...?
                          Trying to sell a watch...? He says nothing about it being original..! Reread more carefully.

Not a bad watch...but a bit over priced.
                          BUT...if in truth it HAS been "properly..." cleaned and oiled receintly, it's not that bad.
                          While it's not a good picture...the one showing the guts show no or little rust spots. This is a problem for many of these watches.
                          It's true that these are not 12s but actually 14s sizes...everyone calls them 12s.

And yea...far as I've seen, a reproduced dial. For a carry watch, no big deal.
                          I've had a coupla custom dials made up.

Mike

Comment

JDP: The listing you show ended normally, no bids. It did not sell. If it had, I have a bridge that I would be willing to sell.

toyman

Comment

Working...
                            X