Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paint or spray dye for steering column ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint or spray dye for steering column ??

I'd like to match my 63' steering column and wheel to my newly dyed dash. I can't find a spray paint (can) that matches the dash or the windshield moulding nicely, so I was wondering if I could "dye" the steering column and wheel...? Will it stick and stay on the metal ??

quote:Originally posted by jackb

I'd like to match my 63' steering column and wheel to my newly dyed dash. I can't find a spray paint (can) that matches the dash or the windshield moulding nicely, so I was wondering if I could "dye" the steering column and wheel...? Will it stick and stay on the metal ??
    How are you going to apply the dye? I would think it difficult to get a good finish with anything but a spray.

Chip
    '63 Cruiser daily driver
    '57 Packard wagon on the road!
    Chip
    '63 Cruiser
    '57 Packard wagon
    '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
    '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

The dye is in a spray can...I have to admit, my dye job on the dash came out excellent for my 1st try..

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jackb

The dye is in a spray can...I have to admit, my dye job on the dash came out excellent for my 1st try..
        I'd have at it with the spray. Worse case you have to strip the dye off. I'd go really thin with it, though.

Chip
        '63 Cruiser daily driver
        '57 Packard wagon on the road!
        Chip
        '63 Cruiser
        '57 Packard wagon
        '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
        '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

I would get matching paint for the wheel and column.

Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

What Gary said. Dye is formulated to adhere to porous materials, which your steering column is not. Some auto paint stores may have the formula for the correct interior paint color. Or if you want to exactly match the uphostery dye color, spray some on a white piece of paper and have the paint supplier match that color. The steering column should be semi-gloss, while the steering wheel should be high gloss paint.

Skip Lackie
            Washington DC
            Skip Lackie

Comment

Spray some out on some vynil, then take the sample to an Automotive Paint Store, have them match it. They should be very close. The dye will not stick to the metal very long!

Jim
              "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
              their Memorials!

Comment

Working...
              X