PDA

View Full Version : 58 Scotsman taxi New York

lstude
02-19-2010, 07:58 AM
The eBay on the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400103052489&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p235/lstude1/58ScotsmantaxiNewYorkCityTimesSquar.jpg

Leonard Shepherd
http://leonardshepherd.com/

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/LHSJR/MyStudebakernobackgroundsm.jpg

Gary1953
02-19-2010, 10:25 AM
Neat picture Leonard.
Thank you.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l269/gsandes50/116-1-1-1.jpg
Gary Sanders
Nixa, MO
President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.

studegary
02-19-2010, 01:16 PM
Why do you ID it as a "Scotsman taxi" and not an Econ-O-Miler Taxi?

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Skip Lackie
02-19-2010, 03:21 PM
I could use a piece of that Automat cherry pie right now.

Skip Lackie
Washington DC

Lenny R2
02-19-2010, 07:57 PM
I used to go to Automat &always get the baked macroni&cheese puting the
nickels in was real neet.

Lenny
Atlanta Ga.

StudeRich
02-19-2010, 09:42 PM
Great picture Leonard! [:p]
That is quite a collection of Taxis! The #1 car is very hard to tell, MAY be a '57 Chevy.
#2 APPEARS to be a '56 Ford
#3 IS a '57 Chevy.
#4 IS a Checker
#5 IS a '56 Dodge
#6 IS the '58 Econ-O-Miler, which looks like a Scotsman.

There is another Checker passing the Bus.

It is surprising to see a Dodge, they were usually too expensive to compete, and rare NOT to see a BUNCH of cheap Plymouth's!

StudeRich

rusty65
02-19-2010, 10:51 PM
Okay tell the truth, who other than me focused on Sophia Loren's name before looking at the cars?? My bad.

Bill Pressler
02-20-2010, 05:36 AM
Wonderful photo, Leonard, thanks for posting. Pictures like this drive home to me (born '58) that life itself wasn't black and white back then!

Bill Pressler
Kent, OH
'63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1 (sold new by Cordell Motors, Moorhead, MN)
'64 Daytona Hardtop (sold new by Carl E. Filer Co., Greenville, PA)

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh48/newshooter44/44320019-3.jpghttp://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh48/newshooter44/broadway_filer_oct03-1.jpghttp://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh48/newshooter44/100_0690_00-1_3.jpg

barnlark
02-20-2010, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by StudeRich

Great picture Leonard! [:p]
That is quite a collection of Taxis! The #1 car is very hard to tell, MAY be a '57 Chevy.
#2 APPEARS to be a '56 Ford
#3 IS a '57 Chevy.
#4 IS a Checker
#5 IS a '56 Dodge
#6 IS the '58 Econ-O-Miler, which looks like a Scotsman.

I was trying to figure out your numbering system until I realized you were working backward from the farthest away. To me, that far one looks like another Dodge, but I can't tell those from a cheapy fleet-style Plymouth anyway. The one you identified as a '56 Ford doesn't appear to have round tail lights, but it's hard to tell what it is. Were the Econo-O-Miler taxis longer that the four door Scotsmans for legroom? How can we tell what model that really is from that picture, other than historically the Taxis were supposed to be Econo-O-Milers? Were those cheaper to buy than a 4 door Scotsman for a taxi company? There were so many taxi companies, who knows what they bought for sure. They seem to have thrown everything on the street!

I also noticed to the right of the bus is perhaps a '56 Chevy police car with a cherry light on top. IIRC most police cars didn't the word POLICE on the trunk lids back then, just a logo on the door. Is that a police car, or just someone's head jaywalking in just the right spot? I spotted that looking for the Sophia Loren marquee. That's Anthony Perkins before he was Norman Bates, too.[8D] Great picture to share, Leonard, thank you.

StudeRich
02-20-2010, 12:11 PM
Yes the Econ-O-Miler was on the "Y" Body Chassis, with the long rear doors with vent windows like a President, but in this pic we don't have enough of a side view to be sure.

I sure would think the Taxis were more $ than a Scotsman!

They had H.D. everything! They were 185 Engines with V-8 Brakes, better seat springs & padding, bigger clutch & Trans. the works, even a always locked or unlocked trunk lock like a '53-'55, just no more trim. [^]

StudeRich

studegary
02-20-2010, 01:48 PM
I do not believe that the Chevy to the right is a police car. One - it doesn't look like one - wrong colors and Two- NYC wouldn't be using '55-'56 police cars in 1958, or later.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

63t-cab
02-20-2010, 01:59 PM
I know it's a long shot,way up on the right.could that be a 59,60 Lark Taxi ?

Joseph R. Zeiger

bams50
02-20-2010, 02:33 PM
Joe, I'll bet if you go way up, and/or right enough, chances are you will come across a Lark:D

I keep coming back because I love looking at old photos like this. I've got about 1000 or so saved into my computer(s)[^]

Couple obsevations on this one:

It always amazes me how big a deal theaters used to be. We have a big, gorgeous Art Deco theater that was built in the mid-late 30s. Still here and still operating, and still amazingly intact; only change is it's been partitioned off from the original one large theater into 5 smaller ones:( At least it's preserved and operating...

I'm intrigued by all the dents on the back of the bus. Wondewr what that's all about?

Question: What was the FIRST thing your eye went to in this picture when you FIRST saw it? For me it was the bus. Color/paint scheme, I suppose...?

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
Parish, central NY 13131
http://www.patrioticon.org/images/flag1-1.gif
GOD BLESS AMERICA

mnmfive
02-23-2010, 10:14 AM
I think you all missed the lady inside the window next to the L on the Lowes sign. It looks like she's doing the dishes with dove soap! you can see the top is one of those first pop up tops, in the green and red bottle!

Jim Rostron

Skip Lackie
02-23-2010, 12:51 PM
quote:Originally posted by bams50

Joe, I'll bet if you go way up, and/or right enough, chances are you will come across a Lark:D

I keep coming back because I love looking at old photos like this. I've got about 1000 or so saved into my computer(s)[^]

Couple obsevations on this one:

It always amazes me how big a deal theaters used to be. We have a big, gorgeous Art Deco theater that was built in the mid-late 30s. Still here and still operating, and still amazingly intact; only change is it's been partitioned off from the original one large theater into 5 smaller ones:( At least it's preserved and operating...

I'm intrigued by all the dents on the back of the bus. Wondewr what that's all about?

Question: What was the FIRST thing your eye went to in this picture when you FIRST saw it? For me it was the bus. Color/paint scheme, I suppose...?

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Re theaters: All the big movie theater companies had gigantic movie houses on Times Square at the time. Most still presented both movies and live stage shows of one kind or another. I remember going to a live rock 'n roll show at the Times Square Paramount around the time this picture was taken. It was a couple of blocks farther downtown, behind the photographer, and seated 3500+ people. Most were teenagers, and most were screaming the whole time.

Re the bus: can't answer the question about the dents, but the bus lines in NYC were still privately owned at the time, and all had their own color schemes. That appears to be a GM TD series bus, pretty common at the time. They were made for 25+ years without major styling changes.

Skip Lackie
Washington DC

Skip Lackie
02-23-2010, 01:00 PM
quote:Originally posted by studegary

I do not believe that the Chevy to the right is a police car. One - it doesn't look like one - wrong colors and Two- NYC wouldn't be using '55-'56 police cars in 1958, or later.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Not sure I agree Gary. My recollection is that at the time, NYC police cars were painted white on the roof and the trunk, so they appeared to be completely white when viewed from the rear. The rest of the body was dark green, except for the front fenders, which were black.

And while I have no specific recollection of how long the NYPD kept its police cars, 2 to 3 years does not seem excessive. The photo was taken in 1958, so 1956 Chevy police cars seem to be plausible.

Skip Lackie
Washington DC

Mr. Bill
02-23-2010, 01:35 PM
I enlarged the page and it looks to me like the taxi farthest away is a 57 or 58 Dodge. Regarding the Studebaker, to me it looks like I can see the leading edge of the vent window in the rear door, so I'm saying it is an Econ-0-Miler.

Regarding the 56 Chevrolet, I don't think it is a police car. I think the bubble light is on a car in front or to the side of it, and from the angle we see, it appears the light is on top of the Chevy. Also, I don't see a "V" under the Chevrolet emblem on the trunk which would mean a 6 cylinder car. While I wouldn't rule out NYC using any 6 cylinder cars, I bet they were few and far between.

Mr. Bill
Bill Sapp
Hamlet, NC

Skip Lackie
02-23-2010, 02:22 PM
I couldn't see a V emblem either. But I remember that most NYPD police cars were 6-cylinder in those days. After all, V8s in the low-priced field had only been available for a few years. And this wasn't the California Highway Patrol where high-speed chases were common. Except for a couple of parkways, the speed limit in NYC was 25 mph everywhere - and traffic was nearly as bad then as it is today.

Skip Lackie
Washington DC

JBOYLE
02-23-2010, 02:31 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bill Pressler

Wonderful photo, Leonard, thanks for posting. Pictures like this drive home to me (born '58) that life itself wasn't black and white back then!

Which is one of the reasons I love watching North by Northwest...shows a time long gone in America.

With the theaters and so many ads, it could almost pass for the 1930s-40s...
BTW: I didn't know that Hotpoint made TVs...

63 Avanti R1 2788
1914 Stutz Bearcat
(George Barris replica)

Washington State

bonehead007
02-23-2010, 07:21 PM
Wow, was at that same corner 2 weekends ago. looks a tad bit different now.:D

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q189/bonehead007/MVC-021F.jpg

New Jersey & Studes Perfect Together

Mr. Bill
02-23-2010, 07:55 PM
That's interesting about the use of 6 cylinders in police cars. I just assumed they would have chosen the more powerful V8. It makes sense though, with the exception of California where more power was needed.

Mr. Bill
Bill Sapp
Hamlet, NC

02-23-2010, 11:45 PM
quote:Originally posted by Mr. Bill

That's interesting about the use of 6 cylinders in police cars. I just assumed they would have chosen the more powerful V8. It makes sense though, with the exception of California where more power was needed.

Mr. Bill
Bill Sapp
Hamlet, NC
Why was more power needed in California?

Skip Lackie
02-24-2010, 08:51 AM
I think both real data and movies show that until around 1960, nearly all ordinary police cars were Chevys or Fords. Chevy had only 6-cyl engines until 1955, and until 54, Ford V8s were flatheads that only had a few more horsepower than Chevy 6s. Only big, expensive cars had more than about 120hp. Until the construction of the Interstae highway system began in 1956, there were very few roads with speed limits above 50 mph. The ones in the East were too congested (think US 1) or too hilly and twisty, and many of those in the West were not paved (exception: Lincoln Highway, US 66). Result: not many opportunities for high-speed chases, nor much of a requirement for high-horsepower police cars.

The Interstate system changed that, as did the horsepower race among low-priced cars. Suddenly, teenagers were trying to outrun the cops to avoid speeding tickets. The TV show Highway Patrol helped, too. The police cars Broderick Crawford drove in that show were makes like Buick and Mercury -- cars with 250+ hp. The real police continued to buy low-priced cars, but now those cars could be ordered as police specials with 426 or 427 cubic engines.

Skip Lackie
Washington DC