Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Pump For Chevy 350 suggestions

Hello,

Well I have gone through 2 auto parts "MR.GASKET" $50 electric fuel pump for my carburetor SBC. What do you guys recommend base in your experiences, am tire of my darn cheap fuel pumps, I learned my lesson. I see Holley, Summit and some other manufactures have some decent ones for $100-$130 but which one has being proven to last by you guys.
    1957 Studebaker President Sedan 57H-W6 2606

Gosh, with my Chevies, I've always used OEM and been very happy. FLAPS always have them. After all, the Chevrolet 350 is the company workhorse and was in use since the dinosaurs roamed the earth (LOL)![)] Well... it seems that way sometimes.

Most large towns have a large old (key in on the old part) non-chain parts house. Here in Redding we have Franklin's. It's a family-owned business and they even know what parts I need for my Studebakers.[^] In fact, they're the only ones in town who don't give me a double-take and say, "Stude-what?"

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Well the thing is that the oem fuel pump is a mechanical one and it goes on the fuel tank if am not wrong so i would have to do the whole fuel lines again. I need one of the electrical ones that you can just bolt it down anywhere. Anybody have same situation. How good are those Holley pump like this one:

1957 Studebaker President Sedan 57H-W6 2606

Comment

The factory mechanical fuel pump for a carbureted SBC bolts to the block, towards the front, low on the passenger side. It is driven by a push rod from the cam. If you do not have one, there will be a block off plate installed with 4 bolts. With that Holley pump you will need some sort of fuel pressure regulator as the 7 psi may over power your needle and seat in the carb. The problem with in-line fuel pumps, actually there are at least two, they can eventually overheat because there is not sufficient air flow around them to cool them. This is one reason why the newer cars with electric pumps put them in the tank as the fuel helps keep them cool. The other problem is they tend to be noisy, another problem helped by having them in the tank. With all that said, Holly has an excellent reputation for quality items, I would give them a call and seek their advice on the best solution.

One more thing, Electric fuel pumps work much better is installed at the back of the vehicle where it is easier to pull the fuel from the tank and push it forward. It is also a good idea not to let your fuel level get too low where the pump might suck air under cornering or braking. Newer tanks are baffled to keep that from happening, older ones not so much.

Pat

Pat Dilling
        Olivehurst, CA
        Custom '53 Starlight aka Stu Cool

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611
        Pat Dilling
        Olivehurst, CA
        Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

If you do go for a mech fuel pump, make sure the push rod is the right length, and is for a 350, don't let anyone tell you SBC parts are interchangable, i.e. 283 to 350. I learnt the hard way when I chnaged over the 283 to a 350 in my Inter. I've got a spare mech pump down here if you want to pop over the pond and pick it up.[8D]

Matt
          Brisbane
          Australia
          Matt
          Brisbane
          Australia
          sigpic

Visit my Blog: http://www.mattsoilyrag.blogspot.com.au/

Comment

If you want an electric fuel pump, I'd think more about this Carter. It's quieter and generally regarded as quite dependable.

Free Shipping - Carter Universal Rotary Vane Electric Fuel Pumps with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Fuel Pumps at Summit Racing.

I used to run Stewart Warner's with great luck but I don't think they build them anymore.

I like Mr Gasket for some things but always leary about fuel pumps and other electrical products. Particularily at the price they charge for them.

Remember to put a good filter in front to keep the pump clean.

JMO

Bob

Comment

I second Sweetolbob's recommendation on the Carter.

They're quiet, reliable, and don't require a pressure regulator. They also have a unique mounting system that's easy to adapt to most any application.

I've used them in boats and cars and they've always provided me with trouble-free performance.

Comment

Go with an ac mechanical fuel pump. Fits best (shorter than a carter for more frame clearence). Good quality and no re-routing of fuel lines or wiring to do.
                Try to get an older us made one not the crimped together newer style.
                Bez Auto Alchemy
                573-318-8948
                http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                X