50 champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50 champion

i need some help i have a 50 champion 6cyl 6v the engine will crank over but will not start. i have replace the coil, points, cond ,cap and still no spark help

Geeze-- I would first start by taking of the dist cap,turning on the key to ignition on-- Then I would take a screw driver and "flex" the points to see if there is spark-- That will let you know if you have fire to the points,Hope it helps

Comment

While you have the distributor cap off, verify that the rotor turns when the engine is cranked. It probably is, but if it isn't you will save a wonderful lot of parts changing.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
      Tom Bredehoft
      '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
      '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
      ....On the road, again....
      '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
      All Indiana built cars

Comment

Well, these are very simple engines. Though, may I suggest you take this up in the technical forum?

That's a very good point Tom. LOL, I remember wasting an hour trying to start my '62 Champ once and in the end found out it was because the distributor wasn't functioning at all.[:I][V]

All of that said, (as Jeff once told me) our engines need only three things to run; spark, air, and fuel. If one of those isn't working, your car won't run. I've run into the same problems several times. Once, it was a bad coil wire, another time it was a bad cap.

Make sure all the contact points are clean; points, rotor, cap points (around the top-inside), and then have a look at the nib where the coil wire inserts in both the cap and coil.

Are your sparkplugs and wires (including the coil wire) fresh (or at least usable)? Old wires can look good and not function. Sometimes, old engines will foul new plugs and then not want to fire up later. A little Chemtool in your fuel will cure this problem. Pull a few plugs out and check them.

Do you have a small voltage tester? A simple one, like those with two wires (black and red) and just a few diodes to tell what voltage is being encountered. Attach the black clip to the negative wire on the battery or a good ground point. The red wire usually has a probe end. With your tester, check the points, then the cap button, then position the rotor on TDC (cylinder one), replace the cap, and test the (number one) spark plug wire for voltage.

Another way to test cylinder one is to turn the car over and with the hood pushed up the sparkplug wire put it very close to a good ground point. It should spark intermittently with the order of firing.

Then move on to fuel.

Is the carb getting adequate fuel? Looking down the throat of the carb, when moving the accelerator lever does gas squirt down inside? If so, then that's not a problem. Does the choke move freely?

If the choke is open, and you have the air cleaner off, then I think we can discount air supply. If the car will start only when the aircleaner is off, you need a new element, or perhaps Mrs. Frisby and family have moved into it.

One more thing I just thought of; is this a six volt system? If so, how strong is your starter? I have heard that when the six-volt starters get tired they won't turn the engine fast enough to start them.[|)]

I hope this helps. A non-starter can be very frustrating. Keep your head and remember, they're simple engines.[:I]

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
        Ron Smith
        Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
        Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
        Ron Smith
        Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Working...
        X