converter ring gear teeth - starter bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• converter ring gear teeth - starter bolts

How many teeth are on the converter ring gear for a 57 GH 289? I have a 60 259 with the converter attached and it has 171 teeth. My friend just counted 140 on his--- his has been chewing up starter gears -- so maybe the converter re-builder installed the wrong ring gear?
    Also, I can't find the part # for this in the parts book, only a ring gear for the flywheel version.
    ??

53commander HDTP
    53 Champion HDTP
    64 Champ long bed V8
    64 Champ long bed V8
    55/53 Studebaker President S/R
    53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

It sounds like he has a 6 volt ring, but Flite o matic trannies were never sold in 6v cars to my knowledge.

Barry'd in Studes

Comment

That's odd, both those engines should have 162 tooth starter ring.
      They're not sold separately because they are welded on, and considered part of a new converter. Rebuilders are equipped to do that though.

Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

re-counted the teeth on the converter and on a flywheel, both were 172 teeth. Had Jerry to re-count his, 172 teeth. Now I am trying to find the measurement of the "special" bolts that are used to secure the starter to the bell housing. I can't find it under starter motor (0606) in the parts book. Anyone have one they can measure and tell me? This is a 57 GH with Automatic.
        64 Champ long bed V8

Comment

Any chance that this is a six-volt starter?

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
          Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Gord, according to the tag it is a 12V starter. It worked perfectly before the engine was re-built and the converter was re-built. The engine and bellhousing was dialed in. He did not use the "special" bolts to install the starter, so we are pursuing that route right now.
            more pictures--
            Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!
            64 Champ long bed V8

Comment

Is there a difference in the bendix between 6 cylinder and v-8 starters? I remember having to change several pieces between a 289 starter and the 6 cylinder starter to use one on a truck I had years ago. Just dont remember if the bendix was the same. Steve

STOLEN Studebaker!Ventura County ad says contact
              Barry @ 805-218-3658

sigpic

Comment

I'd expect That pilot diameter on the starter nose to fit closely in the starter mount hole, and not rely on ( or allow ) the bolts to influence the starter engagement with the ring gear.

That badly worn starter gear does not show similar wear on each tooth, nor does the wear pattern extend nearly as far along the good used gear. I'd look for some spacers or other parts assembled wrong, so the starter can start spinning before the gear is well and fully engaged.

Comment

I just removed the torque convertor & ring gear from my '63 Hawk. The gear is chewed up, Stud Intl. list the gear as 1539745, sold seperate of the torque convertor. They don't list the combo gear & convertor. I haven't ordered yet, should i be looking for a complete unit? Obviously the gear will have to be heated off the convertor and a new one welded on, wasn't so sure that's a good idea????? Is it easier to find a comlpete unit???
                  Brian C

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BrianC

I just removed the torque convertor & ring gear from my '63 Hawk. The gear is chewed up, Stud Intl. list the gear as 1539745, sold seperate of the torque convertor. Brian C
                    You want S.I.'s 153974[u]4</u>. These are usually installed by a rebuilder. Not saying it's impossible to get it installed successfully any other way, but I doubt I would trust anything else.

Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Dwain&lt; Thanks for the number of that ring. It's a flight-o-matic. That number isn't in their catalog. I'll take your word for it when i order. I know quality rebuilders(locally) who can probably do it . Thanks again.
                      Brian C.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by wolfie

Is there a difference in the bendix between 6 cylinder and v-8 starters? I remember having to change several pieces between a 289 starter and the 6 cylinder starter to use one on a truck I had years ago. Just dont remember if the bendix was the same. Steve
                        yes, the ring gear and Bendix are both different.

nate

--
                        55 Commander Starlight
                        --
                        55 Commander Starlight
                        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

UPDATE----
                          Well guys, appears the problem was the use of non Stude starter bolts. We rounded up the proper bolts and installed them. All is well now!
                          What a simple fix! Jerry drove the Hawk over yesterday and was smiling.
                          64 Champ long bed V8

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Kdancy

UPDATE----
                            Well guys, appears the problem was the use of non Stude starter bolts. We rounded up the proper bolts and installed them. All is well now!
                            What a simple fix! Jerry drove the Hawk over yesterday and was smiling.
                            That's great news Kerry! Where did you find the special Studebaker starter bolts?

Comment

Second time in two weeks that non-spec starter bolts were found to be a problem! Maybe this ought to be a TW sidebar article or something...

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                              '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                              X