PDA

View Full Version : 64R5642 Auction details

HNCadet
02-16-2010, 09:22 AM
As I had surmised and learned earlier, 64R5642 will be offered for sale at the Ft. Lauderdale RM Auction. Below is the "notice", as of yet there are no pictures available.

quote:From the Estate of Mr. John O'Quinn
1964 Studebaker Avanti R3
[CLICK HERE FOR MORE PHOTOS]
OFFERED WITHOUT RESERVE
Showing only 55,405 miles, R5642 is built to full R3 specs with the optional "Powershift" automatic transmission, a rear axle ratio of 3.54:1, and disc brakes manufactured by Bendix under license from Dunlop. This car has the optional faststeering with no power assist and it rolls on a set of fifteen-inch Halibrand magnesium knock-off alloy wheels - a Studebaker option for 1964. The interior is finished in metallic red upholstery with black carpeting and shows the R3's 8,000 rpm. tach, instead of the 6,000rpm tach found on standard Avanti models. The seats are true buckets and the window posts and other sections of the interior including the roll bar are protected with foam-backed stitched vinyl, not moulded plastic. In short, the fit and finish on the inside of R5642 is excellent. Considering Avanti R3's are extremely rare and almost unheard of on the open market, this example presents an extremely rare opportunity to purchase a well-respected and cared for automobile.

studegary
02-16-2010, 12:32 PM
That is the next to last Studebaker Avanti built and one of the nine true R3s. It will be interesting to see what it will bring.

I would like the car, but I do not bid at that type of auction.

It is interesting that with all of those words they do not mention the exterior color and I do not remember. Does someone here know the color of 5642?

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
Studebaker enthusiast much longer

JDP
02-16-2010, 01:00 PM
quote:Originally posted by studegary

That is the next to last Studebaker Avanti built and one of the nine true R3s. It will be interesting to see what it will bring.

I would like the car, but I do not bid at that type of auction.

It is interesting that with all of those words they do not mention the exterior color and I do not remember. Does someone here know the color of 5642?

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

It's white, found on the net.:

"The white one shipped to Moline, R5642 and sold at auction by Dick Marty has a short enough history that it should still have the original engine.

R5642 was originally shipped to Moline IL.<P>

R5642 Toronto but rumored sold / 5642 Was sold by Dick Marty in Canada at a RM auction about 2004

R5642 was built without P/S.
R5642 history (Oct 2008) by Richard Pianca (SDC Forum-Retired)
Henry Hargrove owned H&H Motors in Moline Illinois and was in need of some money to keep his
dealership afloat.His uncle loaned him a sum of money and was not being repaid in a timely
manner, so the uncle ordered the white R-3 (R-5642). Upon delivery he took it as a partial payment (for the loan).
Geo Krem ultimately traded the uncle, his low mileage gold Avanti, a trailer and if memory
serves me correctly a Lark of some sort for the R-3.

A few years ago, I received a telephone call from the uncles widow asking assistance in selling
the gold Avanti. (The uncle had died eleven years prior).

It was sold to a gent in the Chicago suburbs. He detailed the chassis and motor and motor
compartment and has had it at a couple of SDC meets. It was still a very low mileage car.

I looked at H&H Motors dealership record in So.Bend. His franchise was an on and off thing. I
guess when his financial status fell below a stated amount Studebaker would cancel his contract
only to be reinstated when he was financially sound."

JDP/Maryland

studegary
02-16-2010, 01:04 PM
Thanks for the info., John. I rarely remember car colors, but now that you mention white, that comes back to me. I thought that this was an Avanti owned by George for awhile.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

JDP
02-16-2010, 01:07 PM
quote:Originally posted by studegary

Thanks for the info., John. I rarely remember car colors, but now that you mention white, that comes back to me. I thought that this was an Avanti owned by George for awhile.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Yes "Bart Ladd on 64V17648 As if this Strato Blue R2 package Daytona hardtop belonging to Milt Larson weren’t special enough, it has the distinction of being traded twice for a factory R3 Avanti. George Krem acquired this car, which was delivered new in Marshall, Minnesota, in Montana. In 1982 Ron Hall took the train to Montana on a vacation and drove the car back for George. The car was later part of a trade George Krem made for Leo Linnabary’s R3 Avanti R5642. Two owners and much later Bart acquired it in CA. 17648 was part of a trade back to George when Bart got the Gold R3 Avanti R5546 from George in 1993 . Later it was traded for Stude Tomato, 63V10942. This Daytona may also take the JT prize for the most owners. It may also be the most traveled. 64V17648 is the near identical twin of 64V5045, a car that JTN believes was in Orange County, CA in the late 60’s but is now missing."

Here is a list of the nine production R3 Avanti's. Serial

Number Color Transmission
R-5089 Turquoise 4-speed
R-5237 Black 4-speed
R-5394 White 4-speed
R-5532 Turquoise 4-speed
R-5546 Gold 4-speed
R-5593 Gray Automatic
R-5625 Black Automatic
R-5642 White Automatic
R-5643 White Automatic

JDP/Maryland

2R2
02-16-2010, 01:29 PM
I believe the auction Avanti is the same one featured in a article in Special Interest Autos magazine a few years back. If my memory is correct :D they tested a R3 Avanti owend by Krem at the time.

Eric DeRosa

'49 2R-5 (original Survivor)
'63 R2 Lark (barely surviving)

Milaca
02-16-2010, 06:14 PM
What is the dollar value on a car like this?

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2491/3963476412_7a12ba7be0_t.jpg
Autumn at Lake Barget
In the middle of Minnestudea

TOMMO
02-16-2010, 06:14 PM
The full package R2 Strato blue Daytona 64v5045 lost in CA resides in my garage and is for sale to the right person. It never left CA until I bought it but I think I have too many projects to finish her anytime soon, so I may let it go.

JDP
02-16-2010, 06:26 PM
quote:Originally posted by Milaca

What is the dollar value on a car like this?

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2491/3963476412_7a12ba7be0_t.jpg
Autumn at Lake Barget
In the middle of Minnestudea

It should bring 50-100K, but who knows.

JDP/Maryland

WCP
02-16-2010, 07:14 PM
According to that reported in the listing, the car has seen less than 7000 miles in the last 10 years. Also, it appears that the power steering was removed to return it to its original state if the listing is correct. The roll bar cover was the standard Avanti unit as I remember - don't have a picture of that part of the car. Driveline details: engine R3SM306 B46, trans AS2-10 #14561.

WCP
02-16-2010, 07:21 PM
Just checked the RM on-line pictures and the power steering pump is still there! Looks good!

HNCadet
02-16-2010, 08:15 PM
Odd things:

1. Added a dual M/C. the safety issue I can understand, but originality?

2. The hole in the front right inner fender panel is still there for the supercharger surge tank vent, but no tube?

I get all the RM Auction flyers and will ask for some more info. Pics of the front suspension joints, etc.

JDP
02-16-2010, 09:01 PM
quote:Originally posted by HNCadet

Odd things:

1. Added a dual M/C. the safety issue I can understand, but originality?

2. The hole in the front right inner fender panel is still there for the supercharger surge tank vent, but no tube?

I get all the RM Auction flyers and will ask for some more info. Pics of the front suspension joints, etc.

The master cylinder issue can be a easy fix, but do you want to risk a very expensive car with a single system. The hose to the grill mounted air cleaner is in the picture, but I have no idea what a supercharger surge tank would be.

JDP/Maryland

Starlight
02-17-2010, 06:54 AM
TOMMO...Would you contact me thru my e-mail, I tried contacting you , but your e-mail was returned as undeliverable....Thanks

Avantidon
02-17-2010, 07:42 AM
This will be an auction worth watching. The RM Auction House IMHO is the proper place to sell O'Quinn's cars My only question is why they chose the Ft Lauderdale site as it has traditional been one of their lowest volume sales. Another interesting observation is the speed that the dispersal of this collection is undergoing. I guess there is a need for a large amount of cash to settle the estate. This man earned millions for his work on the tobacco settlements and one would have thought there would have been significant estate planning involved here but who knows what the true circumstances are.

Green53
02-17-2010, 11:17 AM
64V17648 has made it around the horn. I took it in trade from George on the Stude Tomato. I then traded it to Milt for my 53. He then did a body off the frame restoration.

Denny L

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff85/Daytona64/53Stude2015.jpg

JBOYLE
02-17-2010, 12:11 PM
quote:Originally posted by Avantidon
This man earned millions for his work on the tobacco settlements and one would have thought there would have been significant estate planning involved here but who knows what the true circumstances are.

AutoWeek had an all too brief article on this and not a lot of information is coming from the estate (go figure...;))
His girlfriend is running the collection and said that they would be selling some "excess" cars. She didn't give any indication what cars that would include or whether that would be part of focusing the collection on a central theme.

Sounds like it may end up as a replay of the Harrah debacle...a collector's vision not outlasting him due to an unexpected demise.

The Wall Street Journal ended a Nov 25, 2008 piece on the drop in collector car prices by quoting David Gooding (of Gooding auctions)..."The love of cars never outweighs the love of money".

63 Avanti R1 2788
1914 Stutz Bearcat
(George Barris replica)

Washington State

WCP
02-17-2010, 12:46 PM
JDP, you mention not risking an expensive car like that, but can you believe that car was operated for an unknown number of years with a "fried" wiring harness and a jumper wire pushed thru the firewall between the ignition switch and ballast. Why it didn't go up in flames is a miracle.

lschuc
02-17-2010, 12:55 PM
Don, He may well have indeed planned (or was planning) his estate, but I'm sure was not planning on leaving this world so soon.
Lew

quote:Originally posted by Avantidon

T...... This man earned millions for his work on the tobacco settlements and one would have thought there would have been significant estate planning involved here but who knows what the true circumstances are.

Lew Schucart
Editor, Avanti Magazine

JDP
02-17-2010, 01:06 PM
quote:Originally posted by WCP

JDP, you mention not risking an expensive car like that, but can you believe that car was operated for an unknown number of years with a "fried" wiring harness and a jumper wire pushed thru the firewall between the ignition switch and ballast. Why it didn't go up in flames is a miracle.

I can, after all, look at the state of the first R3 Avanti. (last advertised at 45K 25 years ago, but still sitting as pictured.)

http://www.studebaker-info.org/avdb/R5000/64R5089/r5089.html

JDP/Maryland

Avantidon
02-17-2010, 02:47 PM
Inside sources at RM told me just two weeks ago that they were only going to sell a limited number of cars and most were to be Dusenburgs. He knew nothing of this fire sale of almost 40% of the collection. I know he is floored as he knew mothing about this latest change. IMHO it is a very quick liquidation of a very large collection knowing the man has not been dead for more than 120 days. Read between the lines and Go Figure this one out. Anyway it will be a great sale. Just hope RM can round up the right bidders and I know they will try to do just that.

JBOYLE
02-17-2010, 03:19 PM
We can quit guessing.
RM says they'll sell 55 cars from his collection.
If he had 1000+ cars, that's just 5%.
Still they're selling some nice stuff...A Mercedes 300SLC (Gullwing) should be in any serious collection, I wonder if they have a duplicate? And after selling two Duesenbergs, they'll still have 21. That's more than Jay Leno owns.:D
(If any of you ever made it to the old Harrah's Collection, even 21 Duesenbergs can get boring after awhile. Likewise, I'm sure even the national Bugatti collection - formerly the Schlumpf collection - in France gets a bit repetitive).

From a news release...
Headlining the offering consigned to RM’s Amelia Island event is a supremely elegant 1930 Duesenberg Model J Sport Berline with Murphy coachwork (J287).
The Amelia Island sale will also feature another of O’Quinn’s beloved Duesenbergs – a majestic, beautifully restored 1932 Duesenberg Model J Convertible Coupe with coachwork by Murphy (J340).

Additional highlights from the collection consigned to RM’s Amelia Island event include:

• A striking, one-off 1933 Cadillac V16 Convertible Phaeton with Fleetwood coachwork

• A beautifully restored, 1955 Mercedes-Benz 300SL “Gullwing” Coupe, finished in graphite gray with dark red leather and matching luggage

• A very rare 1931 Chrysler CG Imperial Convertible Victoria, one of only three such examples bodied by Waterhouse

• A one-off 1954 Buick Landau Show Car, built for the GM Motorama Circuit

• A stately 1938 Cadillac V16 Presidential Parade Convertible, the second of only two produced and used by the Eisenhower, Roosevelt and Truman administrations

• A pair of fully-documented Shelby GT 500 Convertibles"

Here's the full release...
http://www.rmauctions.com/PressRelease.cfm?PressID=704

They don't mention the Avanti. The heathens....:D

63 Avanti R1 2788
1914 Stutz Bearcat
(George Barris replica)

Washington State

02-17-2010, 04:15 PM
Here is an interesting writeup about John O'Quinn. He certainly didn't waste any time building the huge collection-
http://www.houstonlifestyles.com/jul9CVR3-OQuinn-Car.htm

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/Copy%20of%20broken%20circle.jpghttp://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/Copy%20of%201-1-08%20002.jpghttp://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/Copy%20of%201-1-08%20004.jpghttp://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/Copy%20of%201-1-08%20006.jpg

WCP
02-17-2010, 04:42 PM
Regarding the hole in the forward section of the right apron, I believe that was there for R3's with the emission setup to allow the hose to run from crankcase ventilation tube to the air filter assembly in front of the radiator. R5642 did not have that setup - 5 vent caps instead of 4. Did any of the R3s have the emission equipment?

JBOYLE
02-17-2010, 05:35 PM

Regarding the hole in the forward section of the right apron, I believe that was there for R3's with the emission setup to allow the hose to run from crankcase ventilation tube to the air filter assembly in front of the radiator. R5642 did not have that setup - 5 vent caps instead of 4. Did any of the R3s have the emission equipment?

I wouldn't have thought so, emissions equipment didn't become a federal law until 1968.

63 Avanti R1 2788
1914 Stutz Bearcat
(George Barris replica)

Washington State

StudeRich
02-17-2010, 07:33 PM
quote:Originally posted by JBOYLE

I wouldn't have thought so, emissions equipment didn't become a federal law until 1968.[/font=Arial][/blue]

Calif. and New York cars had to have PCV Emission Systems installed in 1961, [u]ALL</u>Studebakers were fitted with PCV systems in 1963 and complete closed systems (upper & Lower) in at least Calif. if not all States, on 1964 Built cars (Canadian imports).

Wasn't 1968 about when they started EGR systems or some other such useless junk? [?]

StudeRich

nels
02-17-2010, 08:37 PM
[ Did any of the R3s have the emission equipment?
[/quote]

The 64 R3 Commander had the emission control system. Calif and New York cars had the requirements. The Commander went to NY.

JDP
02-17-2010, 08:43 PM
quote:Originally posted by nels

[ Did any of the R3s have the emission equipment?

The 64 R3 Commander had the emission control system. Calif and New York cars had the requirements. The Commander went to NY.
[/quote]

Thanks, then this Avanti would probably not have had it, but you could add it in a hour. Still, not a "green car" by any stretch.:)

JDP/Maryland

WCP
02-17-2010, 09:25 PM
R5642's air filter housing has the air inlet pointed up as opposed to the one shown in the parts manual for the Avanti. I assume the one illustrated in the manual is for the PCV equipped unit with a hose connection attached.

JDP
02-17-2010, 09:33 PM

R5642's air filter housing has the air inlet pointed up as opposed to the one shown in the parts manual for the Avanti. I assume the one illustrated in the manual is for the PCV equipped unit with a hose connection attached.

Have you a picture of R5642's air cleaner. The R3 filter is unique.

JDP/Maryland

WCP
02-17-2010, 09:49 PM
No, unfortunately that is one area I didn't photograph and it doesn't show up in any of the peripheral photos while it was off the car. It is pretty much as illustrated in the manual, but with the intake up rather than down.

WCP
02-18-2010, 12:39 PM
John, I should have pointed out that the air filter housing is identical to the R2 Lark unit but less the stud and PCV tube, and with a right angle plate bracket mounting to the right side of the rad support as per the parts book illustration. As I recall, the bracket is spot welded to the "can" end.

HNCadet
03-15-2010, 01:45 PM
Just received my RM Auction Catalog for the Fort Lauderdale auction and of the 52 pages, 25 are dedicated to the John O'Quinn Estate Sale cars. The R3 Avanti(64R-5642) was given a rather prominent 2/3 of a page spread(3/4 half page view + 2 thumbnails of engine & interior), similar to the other "Premium" cars, '35 Packard 12, '61 Chrysler 300G, '48 Chrysler T&C, Coddington Boydster, '31 Packard 840,'69 Charger Hemi, etc, etc............. so it's being given a good deal of publicity compared to all the other cars at the auction. There are some very nice cars being offered beside the O'Quinn Collection..........should be a very interesting auction, looking forward to the results.

There also 2 small thumbnail photo's of a Packard Hawk & '63 Hawk R2/4-spd. from O'Quinn.

Avantidon
03-15-2010, 02:50 PM
Here is the actual RM Auction Catalog Ad from their catalog. Click on the pictures to enlarge them. My auction estimate for this car is in the $50K range. To see the R-2 Super Hawk click on the next button.

The R-2 Super Hawk may bring at 30-40K if the right people are there. The last one RM sold at Hershey last fall went for $25K which IMHO was a steal. Yes, had i stayed for the auction Friday night I seriously would have considered taking it home.

http://www.rmauctions.com/featurecars.cfm?SaleCode=FL10&CarID=r267&fc=0