factory build sheet location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• factory build sheet location

hi im hunter i own a 1964 gt hawk, powershift, horizon green paint. i am wondering were on the car the build sheet is located ... i found one under the dash but is brittle and not very good shap.. i was wondering if they put them any where else on the car.. or am i just out of luck
    ohhh and how do you post a pic, cNT FIGURE IT OUT
    hunter stanley

There might be a copy of the build sheet at the SNM archives, you will need your cars numbers. Posting a picture is easy! Just create a photobucket account and upload your photos to it. From there, when you have an album, open it, but don't click on the picture while it is being shown at the same time with the rest. Just put your cursor over the pic and an options board will show up below it. Go down to the bottom of it, copy and paste it to a reply to a thread. I know this sounds really confusing, but it is really simple.

Chris Dresbach

Chris Dresbach

Comment

there is another option you can contact the studebaker national museum .if you supply them with the vin number and $43.00 the will research the archives and supply you with all the info on the original build sheet of your car I did this a month or so ago and was amazed at the info therein such as options,engine #,body#,key#s,colors and more! You can contact them@ph.888-391-5600

John C.Stroud

Comment

As far as I know, Studebaker never put a "build sheet" anywhere on the car. I believe that trim and paint information may have been located under the glovebox, but after a minimum of 44 years most of those are gone.

If you are looking for one like you would find in an International Harvester truck, you will come up empty.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

There was one under the dash of my Speedster. It's called (Passenger Car Production Order-Body Set). I still have it.
          Klif

55 Speedster
          63 Avanti R2
          63 Lark R2
          55 Speedster/Street Machine
          63 Avanti R2
          64 Convertible R1

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Guido

As far as I know, Studebaker never put a "build sheet" anywhere on the car. I believe that trim and paint information may have been located under the glovebox, but after a minimum of 44 years most of those are gone. ...
            The one-owner '62 Lark convertible I bought back in the '80s (Keystone Raffle Car in 1990) had a copy of the build sheet under the front seat. It looked like it had been there from Day One.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I have found copies under the front seat.

Jim Bradley
              Lewistown PA
              '78 Avanti II
              Jim Bradley
              Lake Monticello, VA
              '78 Avanti II
              sigpic

Comment

I don't think that a copy was intentionally put in cars, but I have found a couple of them, either under the carpet or under the seat. Apparently a copy accompanied the car as it came down the line, and sometimes it got covered up and didn't get removed.

Skip Lackie
                Washington DC
                Skip Lackie

Comment

thanks for the replys do any of you knnow if that color the factroy color horizin green, well is it rare on the gt hawks, 64

hunter stanley
                  hunter stanley

Comment

quote:Originally posted by hunter stanley

thanks for the replys do any of you knnow if that color the factroy color horizin green, well is it rare on the gt hawks, 64

hunter stanley
                    Hunter, I do believe that was pretty rare on '64 Hawks. I like it, but others don't. Seems like a lot of GT Hawks were white or black. I know there was a factory photo of a lovely young lady in a green and white striped sweater standing next to a Horizon Green '64 GT Hawk. I tried to google the image but it didn't come up.

There was a beautiful Horizon Green '64 GT from Illinois at the 2002 SDC International Meet in South Bend. A photo of it used to be on a website that I can't remember now, but I'm sure this long past it's not up anywhere, anymore.

Someone had posted that production orders for your year of Studebaker cost $43 at the Studebaker National Museum. They are actually only $28.00:

They will show you the color and options originally on your car, the city of destination (assuming it was built to fulfill an order from a dealer), engine and body nos., key nos., and more. The museum also has Drive-Away Shippers for your car (on file at the museum starting with the 1961 model year) although they are not advertised on the website. I would think they would cost the same as a production order. They list most (but not all) info that is on the Production Order, plus name and address of the Studebaker dealer the car was shipped to (if not built for factory stock). They list the car's shipping weight, but not the key and body nos. like the Production Orders do.

Lastly, the museum also has retail sales card information, by serial number, and also filed by the dealer number of the selling dealer. The 'old style' form, they have on file starting with the 1960 model year, although for '63 the files are sketchy. They have the later-style form with more information (form B1039) starting with sales in September 1963. These will show you the name and address of the original retail purchaser of your car and date of sale (form B1039 will also show the occupation of the purchaser, salesman's name, and what year and make car the purchaser traded in).

Here are some examples of the various forms (once you click on the link you'll have to page down quite a bit). The Production Order form W704 is the one that you can get from the museum. Again, the Drive-Away Shipper and Retail Sales Cards (both types) should also be available for your 1964 Studebaker:

I see on that website that there was actually labelled an "Instrument Panel Copy" of the production order, at least for the '64 model Stude shown, so apparently that was standard operating procedure.

Good luck and keep us informed! A '64 GT Hawk is my very favorite Studebaker.

Bill Pressler
                    Kent, OH
                    '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1 (sold new by Cordell Motors, Moorhead, MN)
                    '64 Daytona Hardtop (sold new by Carl E. Filer Co., Greenville, PA)

Bill Pressler
                    Kent, OH
                    (formerly Greenville, PA)
                    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                    All are in Australia now

Comment

I found one on top of the glove box , it was even stated glove box build sheet. This was on a 64 super lark.

Comment

I know there was a factory photo of a lovely young lady in a green and white striped sweater standing next to a Horizon Green '64 GT Hawk. I tried to google the image but it didn't come up.

I believe you may be referring to the photo I just posted under the title, "From the Archives #32 (1964 GT Hawk color)" I have the original 8 X 10" color transparency of this photo.

Richard Quinn
                        Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review
                        Richard Quinn

Comment

thanks again for the replies, they were very helpful. i have just one more question. the factory door panels, were greeen the factory interior number is 934. i heard at the sdc meat that they sell brand new door panels... and i ve seen a warehouse picture full off brand new door panels, has anyone heard this or know what im talking about... thanks

hunter stanley
                          hunter stanley

Comment

quote:Originally posted by hunter stanley

thanks again for the replies, they were very helpful. i have just one more question. the factory door panels, were greeen the factory interior number is 934. i heard at the sdc meat that they sell brand new door panels... and i ve seen a warehouse picture full off brand new door panels, has anyone heard this or know what im talking about... thanks

hunter stanley
                            Call Studebaker International.

Skip Lackie
                            Washington DC
                            Skip Lackie

Comment

I believe you may be referring to the photo I just posted under the title, "From the Archives #32 (1964 GT Hawk color)" I have the original 8 X 10" color transparency of this photo.

Richard Quinn

That's the one, Richard! Thanks for posting.

Bill Pressler
                              Kent, OH
                              '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1 (sold new by Cordell Motors, Moorhead, MN)
                              '64 Daytona Hardtop (sold new by Carl E. Filer Co., Greenville, PA)

Bill Pressler
                              Kent, OH
                              (formerly Greenville, PA)
                              Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                              Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                              1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                              1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                              All are in Australia now

Comment

Working...
                              X