VIN, "off-the-wall" question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VIN, "off-the-wall" question

I have heard that the VIN was "secretly" marked on the frame cross member at the back of the car. I've done frame offs on 6 cars ranging from 1954 to 63 models and have never seen this. I now have a 1963 GT frame with very little rust; and if such a number was present it should be visible, but no trace of it can be located. Does anyone know if the secret VIN was in fact marked on the frame and if so where?

From a previous discussion...it is under the place marked:
    [img][/img]

Comment

The frame number was used as the vehicle serial number. I suspect when frames were ordered the buyer provided the frame manufacture with the series of numbers to be used. No secret.

Richard

Comment

I too have yet to find these numbers on the frames and I have tore down many cars, but I blamed it on being to rusty.
        Tom

sigpic

Comment

I have found the VIN on the rear crossmember very easily on both a '50 Champion and my '53 Commander Starliner. Probably made easy because both are California crs.

Howard
          53 Commander Starliner
          56 Sky Hawk
          Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
          '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
          '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
          '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

I found the number on my '53 that had been sitting out in the woods for 30 yrs before I got it. Some of the numbers were faint but the others deeper. Although the frame had some serious rust (including holes) elsewhere, the rear crossmember was not scaley so it was still visible after lightly sandblasting the bottom. In my case, the number was more to the passenger side rather than in the center as the picture shows. If you are looking, may be prudent to look everywhere on both flanges on the rear crossmember (front/rear) before giving up. I suspect these were stamped in by hand and likely not using a template for location so could be located at random spots on the bottom of the crossmember. They seem to be usually in the middle or passenger side though.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

I've found that number on several cars I've done. Here's the one on my '54 Starliner...

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

My car was a South Bend car and only had surface rust on the frame, but there is no number, Nothing! It spent its whole life in Georgia as far as I know.

Alex Nelsen, 15 year old Studebaker nut.
                1954 Champion Coupe
                Lizella, GA
                Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
                Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
                Lizella, GA

Comment

The rear crossmember is where the salt spray ends up, if that car was in South Bend even one or two Winters, that metal would "mike" thinner than when new, and some serial numbers were very lightly stamped.

Dick's car must have been stamped by a very conscientious worker on a very good day, because it is better than most. [^]
                  Even though he installed the die for the first 8 in the tool upside down!

StudeRich
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The Starliner was an LA assembled car and spent its whole life in California.

Here's my '63 Hawk...

It was a Hamilton assembled car and spent its life in British Columbia.

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

thanks, everybody, after careful sanding, I found the number, it was on the inside flange plainly visible from under the car, no "secret' VIn number. One story i heard was that this number was on top of the rear cross member and was to be a secret from the public to help identify stolen cars.

Comment

Well, as you can see it's tough enough to see where it is. Glad you found it.

Comment

Secret? Well Ken, would you have found that tiny number on that big car if we did not tell you where to look?

Most State Patrol Officers have access to the list of locations to look in, yes on a Studebaker! [:0] I know I've been there!

No, I did not steal my '64 Daytona! Lol!

StudeRich
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I presume there are 7 digits,is this correct ?...do they sometimes start with letters...John

quote:Originally posted by barnlark

Well, as you can see it's tough enough to see where it is. Glad you found it.

Comment

Perhaps the letter 'I' used in place of a '1'.
                              sigpic
                              In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Working...
                              X