Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Don't understand this sales technique...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't understand this sales technique...

We've seen this car about a dozen times, but my question is: What is the theory behind offering a BIN of $14,500, while the windshield clearly shows a price of $11,750- blatantly, with no effort to clean off, hide, or even avoid it After looking at the pics you'd have to be insane to hit the BIN, so why bother to put that in the first place? Just to insult potential buyers?? Doesn't seem like the best sales technique to me...

Maybe it's some advanced psychological maneuver I've not heard of yet

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
    Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

quote:Originally posted by bams50

We've seen this car about a dozen times, but my question is: What is the theory behind offering a BIN of $14,500, while the windshield clearly shows a price of $11,750- blatantly, with no effort to clean off, hide, or even avoid it After looking at the pics you'd have to be insane to hit the BIN, so why bother to put that in the first place? Just to insult potential buyers?? Doesn't seem like the best sales technique to me...

Maybe it's some advanced psychological maneuver I've not heard of yet

Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA
    Well, I think its one of the following reasons:

1) Whoever wrote the listing never bothered to look at the images and see the conflict;
    2) Whoever wrote the listing knows nothing about the car and therefore left out a discription of anything on the car (just lots of text about their fees)
    3) These folks have stars in their eyes;
    4) They aren't "details" people.

When II see an ebay listing I want to know something about the car. I don't see this in the ad.

Stu K

'63 Lark Regal, "Miss Rose"

Comment

Perhaps they were asking $11,750 a while ago and now want more and forgot to clean off the windshield.

Chip
      '63 Cruiser daily driver
      '57 Packard wagon on the road!
      Chip
      '63 Cruiser
      '57 Packard wagon
      '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
      '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

It is very simple. The man expects to make a deal off line and not pay ebay charges. By doing this, A person can contact him and state the differnce thus making him an offer as stated on the window.

Comment

quote:It is very simple. The man expects to make a deal off line and not pay ebay charges. By doing this, A person can contact him and state the differnce thus making him an offer as stated on the window.
          Ding, ding, ding!

Chris Pile
          The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Yep, Roy pegged it. Ebay has low listing fees & high final value fees now, so who can blame a seller for trying to avoid the fees and avoid any feedback issues later if the buyer does not think the car meets his expectations? I have heard that BS like "I saw your pics & read your descrip, but just hoped the car/part would be better than the pics.." I was fortunate to sell 2 cars in the Fall from one ad which had no bids but several watchers, and had my $$ before I canceled the auction the day before it ended. Often sellers put a B-I-N price which is really more than they expect to get to try to make lookers think that it is worth more than it actually is, and would be a bargain for 10 or 20% less.

The Lark is a really cool ride- I like. I guess it would be a waste of time to offer him a comparable car in trade which is more practical, with 2 extra doors & better gas mileage:-)

Barry'd in Studes

Comment

This car and this sell has been on e-bay at least 5 times starting out at about $17,000.00 and first time had it advertised way wrong I and a few other sent him e-mails and he corrected it and is still having a hard time sell a very nice car, he paid to much when he got it and figured he could cut a fat buck but so far it has not turned out that way, stop and think you could not build this car for either price and I would guess he would sell it for the $11,000.00 price, some one in Salt lake City should go and look at it just to make sure on the under side, this would be one fun car to drive short wheel base and charger, Bams this is your car all in one package lark, hardtop , super charged...Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA
              canbstudebakers-
              Candbstudebakers
              Castro Valley,
              California

Comment

Why is the oil filter at the top rear of the engine?

Flo (she loves Studes because they are progressive)
                In the middle of Minnestudea
                sigpic
                In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by candbstudebakers

Bams this is your car all in one package lark, hardtop , super charged...Bob
                  Naw, I'm waitin' on Brandon's red 63 R2, or the twin to it I'm waiting for pictures on right now

Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Milaca

Why is the oil filter at the top rear of the engine?
                    That is the stock '57-'58 GH setup, this engine is a mix (hybrid) of '63 R2 stuff like the Carb. bonnet, valve covers etc. and the old McCulloch electric clutch kick-in blower setup, oil filter etc.

The reason the oil filter stands out like that, is that there is no Carb. Air Box (to hide it) and 2 brl. Carb. it probably has an AFB 4 Brl. like a R2. [^] It would also be a Pre-late '62, partial flow engine.

Nice car, all BUT the '50 Ford Green (hint of mint) Paint, they were very close to White, but not.
                    It would be better in real Green, or real White, not neither!

StudeRich
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by candbstudebakers

This car and this sell has been on e-bay at least 5 times starting out at about $17,000.00 and first time had it advertised way wrong I and a few other sent him e-mails and he corrected it
                      Right. He originally listed it as a factory supercharged car, and to his credit he did change it. I get the feeling he was sold a bill of goods when he bought it and as Bob said probably paid more than he should have. He should have used the pictures from his other listings, they presented the car in a much better light.

Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Skinnys Garage

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Nice car, all BUT the '50 Ford Green (hint of mint) Paint, they were very close to White, but not.
                        It would be better in real Green, or real White, not neither!
                        I think the indoor pics with a flash washed the color out pretty bad. Here's a pic of it outside. It looks a lot darker than the version of the green color that's on my '60 parts car, but mine could be a spring color. I tried to look up the paint name, but couldn't read the scans very well. For 1960 cars it looks like it says "Days Green"?, I couldn't make out the name very well, but the color was close. I'm sure someone knows.

Not sure what Rich is seeing, but it's clearly Oasis Green.

Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Well, it seems the seller saw our discussion here, because the listing was ended and relisted. Looks the same except for the picture that brought my question is gone, although the price is still visible in reverse from the inside. Here's the new listing:

Troy, we're not squeezing your shoes here, and nothing wrong with the car, the original post was just questioning your tactics. We love the car and are hoping it successfully gets into loving hands! Anyway, this thread got it some publicity, and that's a good thing. If anyone here can help, don't be afraid to ask- it was us who let you know the supercharger wasn't factory, saving you from some possible trouble down the road. Your price is a pretty tall order, but hopefully you'll find that right buyer. Good luck!!

Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

Not sure what Rich is seeing, but it's clearly Oasis Green.
                            real simple Bob, just looking at the current ebay ad you posted the link to, and it is clearly more white than Green!

That underhood shot does look like the true color of the all the Pics, and if you did not know it was in a dark garage with a close-up flash, it perfectly matches a '50 Ford! But as I now know, it is NOT the color of the CAR when seen in daylight.

I do now remember from his old ads with much better pics that it IS Oasis Green or very close, but you could never tell from these terrible pics. AND it still does not say performance car, or even "sharp" car! Even a sleeper needs to be a bit flashier than that!

StudeRich
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                            X