FMX conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FMX conversion

I did some looking around in the archives, but couldn't really find what I was looking for. This is a "down the road" project, so I am looking for info and advice. I have an extra FOM trans, and a friend with an FMX, and dual range cruise o matic. I was wondering what exactly has to be done to make a later tranny like the FMX work behind my 289. Is there someone who has written a detailed set of instructions on how to do this conversion? Or who can I talk to for info and advice? I like the idea of automatic first gear. The modern shift pattern, etc. Is there any reason I SHOULDN'T think about this? I am not worried about having overdrive, so that is not an issue.

66 Commander R1 Clone
    51 Commander 4dr
    1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Here's a link to a page on Bob Johnstone's great website. You may find some info to get you started. I did a conversion on a AMC BW unit and installed it on my Avanti. I have only basic transmission skills and the parts changeover was not too, too difficult. I installed it, had a converter problem and decided to go the GM overdrive route so I couldn't tell you how it was on the street.

R2 R5388 @ Macungie 2006________________ 1988 "Beater" Avanti

Comment

FWIW, I'd always go with the overdrive automatic. The 200-4R and the 700R4 are my first and second choices. An overdrive completely changes the character of the car and most importantly the cruise noise level.

Done correctly, a FMX in a Stude often ends up costing as much as an overdrive. Installing a used tranny is investing a lot of labor on the usually false hope it doesn't need any work. BTDTNA - do it right the first time and smile as you drive in overdrive.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
      PackardV8

Comment

AMEN!!!!!

quote:Originally posted by PackardV8

FWIW, I'd always go with the overdrive automatic. The 200-4R and the 700R4 are my first and second choices. An overdrive completely changes the character of the car and most importantly the cruise noise level.

Done correctly, a FMX in a Stude often ends up costing as much as an overdrive. Installing a used tranny is investing a lot of labor on the usually false hope it doesn't need any work. BTDTNA - do it right the first time and smile as you drive in overdrive.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8

Comment

thanks guys. My FMX anf Flightomatic are working trannies that I have $0 invested in . I realize that I would rebuilt with new clutches, bands, etc. I just wondered what it would take to marry them together. The other thing is, all I really want to accomplish is getting the more common PRND21 shift pattern. I can even live with second gear start if I have too. Can I get this with a valve body change? Maybe cruise o matic parts? Just looking for suggestions, that's all. With that said, you still think it would be basically the same money to go with an overdrive? I figured with the adapter, mounting, tranny purchase, drive shaft, I would be better off with a FMX conversion or otherwise. I'm lucky to put 1000 miles a year on my car,and it has 3.07 gearing. The FOM in it now is fine as far as cruising RPM and performance is concerned.

66 Commander R1 Clone
          51 Commander 4dr
          1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

You will spend more time than money with your existing parts.

Here's another link from Bob Johnstone's website, http://www.studebaker-info.org/text3/bw-rebuild.txt

Spend some time over there and you will have a better idea what to do.

ErnieR

Comment

Sounds like a lot of trouble just to change the shift pattern for only 1000 miles a year of driving. I'd leave it.

Comment

Here is a link to a 60 champ with the FMX conversion.
                Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Has an aftermarket steering column and floor shift. Works good, but if I were starting from scratch, I would put the gm overdrive unit in. The PU has 3:31 rear gears. It does pull very well and cruises comfortably at 65mph. Whoever installed the FMX had left the original 4:11 rear in and running the very high rpm killed the engine so I had to change the rear gears and rebuild the engine.
                64 Champ long bed V8
                55/53 Studebaker President S/R
                53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

I had a 1958 Packard with the Ford automatic transmission for nine years. The steering column shift indicator was changed to indicate the different shift selection pattern. I think that only two people noticed it while I owned the car and that was because the housing was chrome. I sold the Packard to a dealer in Utica, NY and lost track of it shortly thereafter.

Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                  X