Starter Bendix question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter Bendix question

When I got my car the engine (289) was stuck and the starter was in the trunk. I assume they were trying to use a pry bar on the ring gear to break the engine loose. Anyway, we got the engine free and turning easy by hand. I wanted to test the starter before I installed it, so I clamped it in the vise and hooked a battery to it with jumper cables. It turned fine and the bendix extened as it should. But the bendix didn't retract. The guy at the local starter shop says this is not a problem and that the bendix is designed to retract when the engine fires. Something about the engine spinning faster than the starter will cause the bendix to retract. I just want a second opinion about this bendix retracting. I have the starter installed and it turns the engine with no problem, but when you turn it by hand now you can really tell that starter is engaged, it is much harder to turn.

I hope to get my carb back from being rebuilt this week. I will then be ready to try and start the engine for the first time. I just want a little reassurance that this bendix will retract if and when the engine fires. I don't want to burn up a starter.
    Wayne
    "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

He's RIGHT. it will retract after starting. BUT,if you
    want to retract it before, there's a little trick to it.
    Hold one end and twist the other end of the drive, making
    it extend a little more. There will be an exposed flat
    place a little deeper than the grooves, about a 1/4 inch
    long. Tear off a old style flat paper match stem, and lay
    it flat in the slot. Twist the drive back and it will retract.

Tex E. Grier

Comment

Good news.
      Thanks
      Wayne
      "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

Working...
      X