PDA

View Full Version : Resto tip - using 2-sided tape

Champion51
02-10-2007, 07:16 PM
I just finished using a small piece of double-sided tape again. Here are some places you can use it.
1. on your fingertips, to hold a small nut [u]in a place</u> you can't even see (No. Not that place!)
2. to hold that silver heat insulation material on the interior of your roof, to act as cushioning for your headliner as well as sound and heat insulation.
3. to hold the foam backing or other padding on your door panels, before you wrap around your cloth material, which again too could be affixed with the tape.

I absolutely love that stuff and my restoration would have been difficult or at times impossible without it. Its commonly known as carpet tape and is not that expensive. I've used a good 10 yds. of the stuff so far in a variety of jobs. Get the stuff thats 2" wide and you can cut it to size with sizzors. GREAT STUFF! Try it!
Today I removed and re-installed my 'map" light using 2-sided tape. If you want to turn a frustrating 3 hour job into a 10 minute job, go into my profile "Champion 51", and shoot me an e-mail. I'll reply by attaching a 2 page word document to you. I don't think I can attach a word document to this thread.

Dave D.
'51 4-dr Champion
Smithers, B.C.
Canada

Roscomacaw
02-10-2007, 07:53 PM
I often use a piece of tape (not necessarily two-sided) to wedge a nut or bolt into a wrench or socket so that it'll hold it in place while I direct the socket or wrench head where I can't get my fingers.

I might say that while the stuff probably would hold up insulation, here where it gets hellishly hot during the summer, I'd be worried about it letting that insulation drop down onto the backside of the headliner.[V] But it DOES have it's uses from time to time.;)

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle
http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/906179/2006/12/7/truckonhill3.jpg

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

Swifster
02-10-2007, 08:01 PM
3M and other manufacturers sell automotive 2 sided tape and used in the auto body repair trade. This stuff comes in various thicknesses and widths.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i280/Swifster/Studebaker%20Stuff/StudeRear198x131.jpg http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i280/Swifster/Studebaker%20Stuff/StudePlate-FL197x100.jpg

Champion51
02-10-2007, 08:38 PM
Carpet tape is just as good or better than the stuff at auto suppliers. I've used both. The only difference is the carpet tape is about half the price.
Don't worry about it letting go in hot weather either - uless it is holding up insulation that is real heavy and you have no bows to assist. I used the hot water tank wrap for my ceiling. The silver foil reflects heat. I've tested it with the tape. It won't let go. In fact, I'd trust it ahead of mucky, yucky glues and other adhesives for most applications.

Dave D.
'51 4-dr Champion
Smithers, B.C.
Canada