'40 Champ coupe- help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '40 Champ coupe- help!

Very near picking up an unmolested '40 Champion coupe, with intent to change it to street rod, but with no mods to the great body style. Thinking small block chevy and manual transmission, or possibly automatic. Probably will be IFS, possibly gasser straight axle. Would appreciate hearing from others who have gone before me on this journey, including:
    Which IFS kits work well for the money?
    Issues with 4 speed installation?
    Ditto automatic trans installation. Will a 700R4 fit?
    Which rear end swaps are common and fairly straight forward.
    Possible to get an AC setup in with the small block setup?
    Room enough in front of engine for standard pulleys and fan setup?
    Overall common issues and problems encountered with this year Stude, so I don't have to re-invent the wheel.

Thanks for any and all suggestions

This is just an opinion, but I think that the '40 Champion is one of the finest cars Studebaker ever built, in fact, I will be buying one (notice the one in my signature pic). The only thing I would reccomend changing is the power plant. I would put an R3 Studebaker engine in it. It is just as fun, just as fast (if not faster), and keeping it Studebaker-Studebaker, but that is just how I like to see them built, mine will be completely bare bones stock. Good luck with your project, hope you post some pictures of it being built and of the final car![8D]

Chris Dresbach

Chris Dresbach

Comment

Just don't throw any parts away and disassemble carefully. Those of us going stock need them! I lucked into most of the drive train parts for my car from a street rod project but I wish fewer parts had been removed with a hacksaw.

Comment

I have respect for the '40. Anything removed will be done carefully, so it can be used by someone else, or put back on. Modifications, if any, will be done with as little change to the original as possible, and done in a manner they can be reversed.

Comment

Working...
        X