jump start 6 volt system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jump start 6 volt system

Can you really jump start a 6 volt system postive ground system ? I'm just curious ,because when I went to charge the battery , with the new charger , I had left on the battery post clamps, and connected the negative to the negative, and the postive to the steering box bolt . Well this did not show that the battery was taking a charge. But when I disconected the negative battery clamp ,and then connected the charger to the battery ,to both posts it showed that the battery was taking a charge. Kind of makes you think that the battery won't take a jump start.

Sure, you can jump start a six-volt car. I've done it myself many times. You need GOOD booster cables; not the cheap ones from a discount store. The good ones are HEAVY, and should be made from #0 or #00 wire, with heavy copper clamps, and they won't be cheap. Best place to find them would be a Farm & Fleet, or a heavy truck shop.

As far as your battery goes: are you sure it's installed correctly? Maybe someone else who worked on the car installed it backwards. And if it's installed correctly, but won't take a charge with the charger clamps attached to the car as described, either you have an incomplete ground path (engine not grounded to body?), or maybe there is corrosion between one battery post and its terminal clamp. 99% of the time, that will be the positive clamp.

One other possibility: some electrical device in the car is staying on, and drawing enough juice that the charger cannot keep up.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Thanks gord!!!

Comment

Working...
      X