R3 OIL PAN BREATHER CAPS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R3 OIL PAN BREATHER CAPS

Does anyone have 2- R3 oil pan breather caps-I.E. 6cyl. caps- must be new or look like new
    THANKS

Now you got me curious, it appears to me that all 6 and 8 Cyl. Oil Caps from '51 to '60 are the same, with the 180 degree shield on the rear half, these fit outside of the pipe and the spring clips go inside the pipe.

Then there is the '61 to '62 type, exactly the same [u]without</u> the shield.

The '63-'64 South Bend cars are the same as '61-'62 EXCEPT they have PCV system restricted breathing holes inside and are Red Orange.

Canadian built '64's have (1) special upper system PCV, totally sealed Crankcase Cap, and (1) with a hose nipple to the air cleaner also sealed.

The Jet Thrust and Avanti R1 & R2 are even the same as '63-'64 U.S. cars with the addition of Chrome.

I have heard that the Oil pan breather pipe on a R3 has a different Cap, but since few have gotten familiar with, or owned a real R3 including myself, I don't know or remember what is different! [:0]

But same as a 6 Cyl.??? [?][?][?] maybe, but does not seem likely!

StudeRich
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I can supply part #'s from the Dec. '63 Avanti parts book:

1558194 R1 & R2 2 per car

1558195 R3 & R4 5 per car w/o crankcase vent.

1558196 R3 & R4 4 per car with crankcase vent.

I speculate that 1558195 is unrestricted. Maybe 1558196 has even smaller passages than 1558194, since there are 4 of them.
      I think all three types are chrome plated and specify "710 OIL"!

Mike M.

Comment

The caps on R6542 were or are unrestricted at the inside top, all five. This was the 2nd last factory R3 Avanti produced.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Now you got me curious, it appears to me that all 6 and 8 Cyl. Oil Caps from '51 to '60 are the same, with the 180 degree shield on the rear half, these fit outside of the pipe and the spring clips go inside the pipe.

The '63-'64 South Bend cars are the same as '61-'62 EXCEPT they have PCV system restricted breathing holes inside and are Red Orange.

Canadian built '64's have (1) special upper system PCV, totally sealed Crankcase Cap, and (1) with a hose nipple to the air cleaner also sealed.

The Jet Thrust and Avanti R1 & R2 are even the same as '63-'64 U.S. cars with the addition of Chrome.

I have heard that the Oil pan breather pipe on a R3 has a different Cap, but since few have gotten familiar with, or owned a real R3 including myself, I don't know or remember what is different! [:0]

But same as a 6 Cyl.??? [?][?][?] maybe, but does not seem likely!

StudeRich
          He left out one word.... CHEVROLET. As in Chevrolet 6 cyl. oil fill breather cap. Not all 6 cyl. Chevys used this special cap, just some of them. I'll let you know later which ones they are, but not today.

Jerry Forrester
          Forrester's Chrome
          Douglasville, Georgia
          Jerry Forrester
          Forrester's Chrome
          Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

There are or were aftermarket chrome caps that are the identical size as the R3 caps and unrestricted. The only difference is a center rivet on the top and no "oil" notation. I have 3 on the shelf if your interested and can't find the real thing.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

I have heard that the Oil pan breather pipe on a R3 has a different Cap, but since few have gotten familiar with, or owned a real R3 including myself, I don't know or remember what is different! [:0]...
              CRS anymore, but it sticks in my mind that the R-3/4 caps have a larger inside opening and won't work on standard valve covers. When my barn thaws to where I can get in it, I'll check a stock NOS chrome cap on the R3/4 valve cover I have.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Jerry Forrester

He left out one word.... CHEVROLET. As in Chevrolet 6 cyl. oil fill breather cap.
                Sorry Jerry but there IS NO word "Chevrolet" in a discussion about R3 Studebaker Oil Caps!

Most all, if not ALL Chev. oil caps I have seen are similar but too deep to match a Studebaker Cap.

StudeRich
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The R3 valve cover and oil pan breather caps are the same size as the Studebaker 6 cylinder with a rivet on the top. When you make a generic R3 valve cover- 2 breathers- they are normally made out of regular V8 valve covers, then the chrome caps SI sells work fine. Problem is you still need a R3 or a 6 cylinder cap for the oil pan breather. That is why I need 2 R3 or 6 cylinder caps, as I have 2 R3 engines.Thanks and hopefully someone has 2 R3 caps or chrome 6 cylinder caps.
                  Thanks again

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 00RACER

The R3 valve cover and oil pan breather caps are the same size as the Studebaker 6 cylinder with a rivet on the top. When you make a generic R3 valve cover- 2 breathers- they are normally made out of regular V8 valve covers, then the chrome caps SI sells work fine. Problem is you still need a R3 or a 6 cylinder cap for the oil pan breather. That is why I need 2 R3 or 6 cylinder caps, as I have 2 R3 engines.Thanks and hopefully someone has 2 R3 caps or chrome 6 cylinder caps.
                    Thanks again
                    When you get your caps and if you are racing or running the engines to high rpm, be sure to attach the caps to the breather tubes. Jon Myer has told me a couple times that when he ran his R-3 up to 6500 rpm the caps blew off[:0]. He made little chains to hold his.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 53k

quote:Originally posted by 00RACER

Thanks again
                      When you get your caps and if you are racing or running the engines to high rpm, be sure to attach the caps to the breather tubes. Jon Myer has told me a couple times that when he ran his R-3 up to 6500 rpm the caps blew off[:0]. He made little chains to hold his.

True statement! I lost the Crankcase Breather cap on a dyno run on B92! Didn't get it to 6500 tho...6K was enough.

Comment

Working...
                      X