Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazing photos - some Studebakers

Enjoy
    Our past is a powerful draw and in so many ways we try to capture it in order to explain it to ourselves. What started out as an exercise in model building and photography, ended up as a dream-like reconstruction of the town I grew up in. It's not an exact recreation, but it does capture the mood of my memories. And like a dream, many of the buildings show up in different configurations throughout the photos. Or sometimes, the buildings stay put and the backgrounds change. Visually, this is heading towards the realm of ART. NO PHOTOSHOP WAS USED IN THESE PICTURES. IT'S ALL STRAIGHT FROM THE CAMERA. It's the oldest trick in the special effects book: line up a model with an appropriate background and shoot. The buildings are 1/24th scale [ or 1/2 inch equals a foot ]. They are constructed of Gator board, styrene plastic, Sintra [ a light flexible plastic that can be carved, and painted ] plus numerous found objects; such as jewelry pieces, finishing washers and printed material. There are also two books available entitled: Elgin Park -An Ideal American Town and ELGIN PARK - Visual Memories of Mid-Century America in 1/24th Scale

Larry Y
    North Wales, PA
    Larry Y
    North Wales, PA

quote:Originally posted by larryyano

Enjoy
    Our past is a powerful draw and in so many ways we try to capture it in order to explain it to ourselves. What started out as an exercise in model building and photography, ended up as a dream-like reconstruction of the town I grew up in. It's not an exact recreation, but it does capture the mood of my memories. And like a dream, many of the buildings show up in different configurations throughout the photos. Or sometimes, the buildings stay put and the backgrounds change. Visually, this is heading towards the realm of ART. NO PHOTOSHOP WAS USED IN THESE PICTURES. IT'S ALL STRAIGHT FROM THE CAMERA. It's the oldest trick in the special effects book: line up a model with an appropriate background and shoot. The buildings are 1/24th scale [ or 1/2 inch equals a foot ]. They are constructed of Gator board, styrene plastic, Sintra [ a light flexible plastic that can be carved, and painted ] plus numerous found objects; such as jewelry pieces, finishing washers and printed material. There are also two books available entitled: Elgin Park -An Ideal American Town and ELGIN PARK - Visual Memories of Mid-Century America in 1/24th Scale
    Amazing! Were those ALL models????

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

These were really good.... the first 5 or 10 times. Steve

STOLEN Studebaker!Ventura County ad says contact
      Barry @ 805-218-3658

sigpic

Comment

quote:These were really good.... the first 5 or 10 times.
        It's closer to 20 by now.

Chris Pile
        The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Chris Pile

quote:These were really good.... the first 5 or 10 times.
          It's closer to 20 by now.

Chris Pile
          My mother sent me the link two days ago with the same heading. I hate viral Internet things.

Stu K

'63 Lark Regal, "Miss Rose"

Comment

I still don't get what the big deal is about this being posted several times? By my count it's the 8th or 9th. But every one that posted the link did so for the sole purpose of sharing something they enjoyed so much they wanted to share with others they care about. That's a bad thing? It's a safe bet that none of them would have done so had they known it was already posted.

Sure it gets old after you've seen it before, but really, it's not a big inconvenience. And, as Paul demonstrates, some still have not seen it. Now I know what my niece means when she says 'Chillax!'

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
            Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Thank you Bams:
              I hadn't seen this before, so I sent it in thinking people would like the pics. To the people who are tired of the photos use your mouse like your tv remote. It's not just about YOU!! Get a life!!
              Joe

Comment

WOW! When cars were cars. I don't care that most of these were models.
                Just nice to see! Great eye candy for a Saturday morning.
                Thanks
                Brian

Brian Woods
                woodysrods@shaw.ca
                1946 M Series (Shop Truck)
                Brian Woods
                woodysrods@shaw.ca
                1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

TRULY AMAZING .HOW COULD SOMEONE NOT APPRECIATE THAT? TRUE CRAFTMANSHIP IS WHAT THIS HOBBY IS ALL ABOUT. ONLY THOSE WITH NO TALENT THAT WISH THEY COULD ARE THE ONES TO PUT THE WORK OF OTHERS DOWN.

John C.Stroud

Comment

quote:Originally posted by hawknose1

TRULY AMAZING. HOW COULD SOMEONE NOT APPRECIATE THAT? TRUE CRAFTMANSHIP IS WHAT THIS HOBBY IS ALL ABOUT. ONLY THOSE WITH NO TALENT THAT WISH THEY COULD ARE THE ONES TO PUT THE WORK OF OTHERS DOWN. John
                    Either that or we're just getting tired of seeing it.
                    Besides the 8 or 10 posts here-
                    I've gotten that many emails too!!!
                    [:0] [V]

Sorry, but it has gotten old really really fast.

Now- put a '57 Stude in there, and I might get more excited about it...

StudeDave '57 [8D]
                    Ferndale, WA

'54 Commander Regal 4dr 'Ruby'
                    '57 Parkview 'Betsy' (she's a 2dr wagon)
                    '57 Commander DeLuxe 2dr 'Baby'
                    '57 Champion Custom 2dr 'Jewel'
                    '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
                    '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'
                    StudeDave '57
                    US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                    SDC Member since 1985

past President
                    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                    San Diego Chapter SDC
                    North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

I find viral internet stuff amazing, partly because of how it spreads, but also partly because it gets posted and reposted and reposted with so much of the "text" in place. My mom doesn't read these forums, but at 85 she loves to share stuff. So when I see a post that pretty much approximates her emails to me, its an interesting bit of "social" texting.

Stu K

'63 Lark Regal, "Miss Rose"

Comment

Working...
                      X