Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mass salvage yard closing

Picked this up on the AACA site:

George Curboy's Auto Salvage in Sturbridge, Mass.(01566)
    is closing the gates and will start crushing the remaining inventory after over SEVENTY YEARS in business. Last chance to grab some parts or complete cars is this month as crushing will start this week (1/02/07). Owners have been friendly and you are allowed to pull your own parts...pricing has been very reasonable as well, my buddy has made 5 trips and has yet to reach the $500 mark,
    of course he's also brought a dozen Dunkin Donuts each time too !

Yard at one time had 6000+ cars over 135! acres and even a Private Airstrip !
    Inventory Consists of Primarily American makes from 1940'sthru 1960's with a few earlier and later and a little bit of foreign stuff as well. 99% of the cars are NOT canidates for restoration. Lots of Convertibles left for parts as well as All makes of GM Mopar and Ford, it seemed to mee there were more than the usual percentage of Mustangs,Corvairs (incl wagons and vans)and Studebakers. Also a smattering of other Orphans like Hudson and Kaiser.

Phone nummber is 1-508-347-9650 and they are starting to crush so hurry up before it snows !

Link to photos; http://picasaweb.google.com/CaptainTailfin

Dan Peterson
    Montpelier, VT
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)
    1962 Lark V-8 Regal Convertible
    Dan Peterson
    Montpelier, VT
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Great tour I love stuff like this.These pages to our automotive past are fast vanishing.
    Used to be a couple of similar yards up this way till the environmental people started snooping around

Comment

Great tour I love stuff like this.These pages to our automotive past are fast vanishing.
      Used to be a couple of similar yards up this way till the environmental people started snooping around

Comment

Hmmmm..Thinking out loud...
        Makes one wonder if a search criteria could be put into Google Earth and all the outdoor wrecking yards would show up...
        But then all the malls would show up, and all the dealer lots..
        So, perhaps the search criteria would discard those lots that have a big building next to them...

[u]"Deepnhock...Providing solutions for problems not yet thought about."</u>

Just here to help out
        Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by kmul221

DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
        Brooklet, Georgia
        '37 Coupe Express (never ending project)
        '37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
        '61 Hawk (project)
        http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Hmmmm..Thinking out loud...
          Makes one wonder if a search criteria could be put into Google Earth and all the outdoor wrecking yards would show up...
          But then all the malls would show up, and all the dealer lots..
          So, perhaps the search criteria would discard those lots that have a big building next to them...

[u]"Deepnhock...Providing solutions for problems not yet thought about."</u>

Just here to help out
          Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by kmul221

DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
          Brooklet, Georgia
          '37 Coupe Express (never ending project)
          '37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
          '61 Hawk (project)
          http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Jeff: Try this address in Google Earth or Google maps (hybrid):
            53501 W Jersey Rd, Maricopa, AZ 85239
            It's the location of Hidden Valley Auto Parts near Phoenix. Lots of old cars but the images are too small to tell what you're looking at.

[img=left]http://www.studegarage.com/images/gary_ash_m5_sm.jpg[/img=left] Gary Ash
            Dartmouth, Mass.
            '48 M5
            '65 Wagonaire Commander
            '63 Wagonaire Standard
            web site at http://www.studegarage.com
            Gary Ash
            Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
            ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
            '48 M5
            '65 Wagonaire Commander
            '63 Wagonaire Standard

Comment

Jeff: Try this address in Google Earth or Google maps (hybrid):
              53501 W Jersey Rd, Maricopa, AZ 85239
              It's the location of Hidden Valley Auto Parts near Phoenix. Lots of old cars but the images are too small to tell what you're looking at.

[img=left]http://www.studegarage.com/images/gary_ash_m5_sm.jpg[/img=left] Gary Ash
              Dartmouth, Mass.
              '48 M5
              '65 Wagonaire Commander
              '63 Wagonaire Standard
              Gary Ash
              Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
              ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
              '48 M5
              '65 Wagonaire Commander
              '63 Wagonaire Standard

Comment

LOTSA neat stuff in that yard. Some really valuable parts to be saved on any of the hulks pictured. Of course, to some, since they're not pretty enough to pose as lawn ornaments, or just a battery and can of gas from being roadworthy - they're just JUNK.[}] At best, raw materials to make a new Toyota from.[8]
                If I lived back that way, I'd be busy!

Miscreant adrift in
                the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

LOTSA neat stuff in that yard. Some really valuable parts to be saved on any of the hulks pictured. Of course, to some, since they're not pretty enough to pose as lawn ornaments, or just a battery and can of gas from being roadworthy - they're just JUNK.[}] At best, raw materials to make a new Toyota from.[8]
                  If I lived back that way, I'd be busy!

Miscreant adrift in
                  the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

The terms junk yard and auto wreckers are politically incorrect here. They are auto recyclers and as such if it is older than 1990 you're SOL. Yards like this one disappeared from this part of the world 25 years or more ago. [V] Somebody should get places like this listed as valuable automotive archeological sites!

Comment

The terms junk yard and auto wreckers are politically incorrect here. They are auto recyclers and as such if it is older than 1990 you're SOL. Yards like this one disappeared from this part of the world 25 years or more ago. [V] Somebody should get places like this listed as valuable automotive archeological sites!

Comment

Somebody should get to these places before all the old cars disappear, can understand why they're being cleared - if nobody wants anything it may as well go for scrap value rather than rust away.

John Clements
                        Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
                        Lockleys South Australia
                        John Clements
                        Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Somebody should get to these places before all the old cars disappear, can understand why they're being cleared - if nobody wants anything it may as well go for scrap value rather than rust away.

John Clements
                          Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
                          Lockleys South Australia
                          John Clements
                          Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

I've often thought that if these acres WERE rediscovered some eons from now, they might well fuel historical diggings to document what went on there during the 20th Century. Thing is, nowdays eco-nazis would see to it that an old junkyard site gets the top 10 or 20 feet of it's soil dug up and detoxed before it can be turned into a subdivision or shopping mall! Bye-bye artifacts!

Miscreant adrift in
                            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                            1960 Larkvertible V8
                            1958 Provincial wagon
                            1953 Commander coupe

Comment

I've often thought that if these acres WERE rediscovered some eons from now, they might well fuel historical diggings to document what went on there during the 20th Century. Thing is, nowdays eco-nazis would see to it that an old junkyard site gets the top 10 or 20 feet of it's soil dug up and detoxed before it can be turned into a subdivision or shopping mall! Bye-bye artifacts!

Miscreant adrift in
                              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                              1960 Larkvertible V8
                              1958 Provincial wagon
                              1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X