PDA

View Full Version : WIRING PROBLEM ON 50 COMMANDER

zoegrant
02-11-2010, 05:56 PM
Hi...Just spent 3 hours to no avail..here is my problem.
I removed the cluster gauge to be sent out for repair..I now want to install the cluster back in the car and even tho I tagged the wires where they were, the following occurs when i start the engine.
#1..the gas gauge pegs down past the empty mark.
#2..the ammeter goes to discharge.
The wiring for the cluster has been rewired with non original colors so color schematics would not help me..
Can anyone think of a method to find out where the individual wires go on the gauge cluster ?
In order to not have to keep pulling the gauge back out each time I try a change of wire position i have run a jumper wire from the body of the car to one of the installation post on the back of the cluster as a ground..I presume the ground is sufficient...John

barnlark
02-11-2010, 07:33 PM
Sounds like you simply have the wires on the opposite posts on your gauges. That's what they will do when they are swapped.

Dwain G.
02-11-2010, 09:57 PM
No doubt the battery was disconnected. Was it removed also? Could it be in backwards now?

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff195/DwainG/IMG_0097-2.jpg

zoegrant
02-11-2010, 11:43 PM
Yes the battery was removed but I did double check to make sure it was in correctly....
quote:Originally posted by Dwain G.

No doubt the battery was disconnected. Was it removed also? Could it be in backwards now?

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff195/DwainG/IMG_0097-2.jpg

zoegrant
02-12-2010, 04:54 PM
OK...here is my status on this instrument cluster gauge.
As you know the main problem was getting the fuel gauge to work...After a few hours of trying to get the gauge to work by switching the wires all around, I deceided to pull the sensor in the tank and hook up a long wire to it and a ground wire also, so I could sit in the drivers seat and move the float up and down to see if the gauge would register...It did...I could get it to go from empty to full but i could not stop it at a 1/2 tank or the like...it went to either full or empty...I partially reinstalled it back into the dash by only one brackett and when I turned the key on it went to full as it should have as my tank is full. I went for a ride and then my gauge would occilate between full and 1/3 full, i am thinking that maybe it loses ground when i hit a bump as i only have one braket holding it in place ...even tho the weight of the gauge resting inside the opening with only one bracket would seem to be enough for a ground it also seems to me that the gauge when operated by hand out of the car should be able to register 1/2 a tank or 1/4 or what ever when I moved the float...Do you not agree ?

Jeff_H
02-12-2010, 05:25 PM
If you test a gauge loose you must attach a ground from the gauge case to the power source ground. Just connecting battery to the ign terminal and a sender to the other terminal with the case of the sender grounded will cause the needle to creep up and then peg rapidly in my experience.

If this is a 6v gauge, you need a reducer for it to use on 12v or it will possibly burn out.

Jeff in ND
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t5/ee-engineer/devilstowerthumbnail.jpg
'53 Champion Hardtop

zoegrant
02-12-2010, 05:59 PM
I attached a longer wire to extend the sender wire that is on the sender and then I grounded the sender that was in my hand to the frame and then when I moved the float rod it would move up immediately to full...could not make it stop anywhere between full and empty..??? I do have a runtz voltage reducer on it.

quote:Originally posted by Jeff_H

If you test a gauge loose you must attach a ground from the gauge case to the power source ground. Just connecting battery to the ign terminal and a sender to the other terminal with the case of the sender grounded will cause the needle to creep up and then peg rapidly in my experience.

If this is a 6v gauge, you need a reducer for it to use on 12v or it will possibly burn out.

Jeff in ND
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t5/ee-engineer/devilstowerthumbnail.jpg
'53 Champion Hardtop