View Full Version : How do I get a replacement membership card

02-10-2010, 06:04 PM
I want to get antique plates for the Hawk, but Louisiana needs a copy of my SDC membership card. I remember getting it, but can't figure out where it has gone. Is there a way to get a new card via email or even snail mail??

Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker

02-10-2010, 06:11 PM
What the??????? [:0] :(

Membership in a Classic Car Club qualifies a Louisiana resident for Classic car plates? [?]

That really does not mean a thing, I could belong to SDC and own a 2010 Honda as my only car for gosh sakes! What does that prove?

It should be all about the CAR, not the owner, what are they thinking?


02-10-2010, 06:11 PM
This is a new one for me [:0]. I can't figure out why you would need to be a member of a car club to have antigue plates. Does anyone else know of any other states that have this on their books[?][?]



02-10-2010, 06:13 PM
Contact the SDC membership Secretary:
EMAIL (mailto:sdc@cornerstonereg.com)
Or, call: 763-420-7829

BShaw, Webmaster
Woodbury, Minnesota

02-10-2010, 06:32 PM
??? Louisiana DMV rules do not seem to mention that on their site:

You will have to visit an OMV near you to register your antique or custom-built Vehicle. When registering a custom-built or antique vehicle, you will need to bring the following materials to the OMV:

A completed and notarized Vehicle Application, when obtaining a title for a new, custom-built vehicle.
The Certificate of Title or manufacturer's certificate of origin, for antique or custom vehicles that have already been titled.
Notarized Bills of Sale for all the parts that were used.
A completed and notarized affidavit to register as an antique vehicle.
Proof of insurance.
A physical inspection report by the Louisiana State Police Troop, along with a VIN assignment receipt for a custom-built vehicle.
Current odometer reading.
Note: You can also register your antique or custom-built vehicle by mail. You need to gather all the required paperwork mentioned above and along with the appropriate fees, copy of driver license mail it to:

Office of Motor Vehicles
P.O. Box 64886
Baton Rouge, LA 70896"

Do they want to verify that you are in a car club for club-type functions because of restricted use? It doesn't seem to mention that restriction and proof of it being needed.

02-11-2010, 07:00 AM
All I needed for a historical plate for the state of Ohio was a title, proof of insurance, and a promise not to drive it as a daily driver ( only to meets, cruises or repair shops ).
Nicely though,plates are good for 50 years.



02-11-2010, 08:31 AM
I applied for my Louisiana antique plate in 1975 and a was required to supply a copy of my SDC card at the time. I believe I supplied it to Grundy Worldwide too for insurance. Of all the nerve of those people not to encourage driving old cars with lousey brakes and no turn signals and no seat belts and wipers that are almost non functional. What were they thinking?

48 starlite Commander

32 Austin 7

02-11-2010, 06:10 PM
Well gang, welcome to a taste of Louisiana!! What is required is a copy of the registration, proof of insurance and either evidence of membership in an antique club membership (or notarized statement stating that "the vehicle has been restored to its original condition without modification contrary to stock specifications") AND a color photo of the car.

Louisiana's title law began in 1950. Being a Civil Law Jurisdiction and not a Common Law Jurisdiction, the title law never fit very well, since Louisiana's ownership is absolute. The title is not indicative of ownership, just chain of ownership. I did a paper on this in Law School, back when dinosaurs roamed the earth and our civil code had not been tampered with to try and make it something like the other states and the British Commonwealth![:o)]

Sorry to get off subject, but the title law of the states always interested me... kind of like model cars or old sales brochures!![:o)]

Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker

02-11-2010, 07:10 PM
That a run of the mill SDC membership card would be required to qualify one for an antique automobile license registration cracks me up. Quite the rebuttable presumption! ;)
Maybe an Antique Studebaker Club card would be more applicable semantically, but few state agencies distinguish prewar cars as antiques and any car 25 years old as we do in the hobby. License bureaus do, but this is the first that I've heard of a car club card requirement by a state. Wow, fascinating.
Is this information just part of their chain of ownership records, or are they simply searching for a link to authenticity of the many defunct car makes before they grant a plate? I don't see how that proves anything other than paying to be a member of something. I'm a proud SDC member and don't mean to diminish the value of my card, but I'll make sure I carry my card in case I get pulled over driving through Louisiana to prove my Ohio historical plate registration. They wanted little more than my cash. :D


Dwain G.
02-12-2010, 12:53 AM
This might make some sense depending on the cost of the plates. Here in WA state you can get a Collectible Vehicle plate (you only get one instead of the usual two) for a one time fee of around $33. No annual renewal fees either, so it's a sweetheart deal. I can see where state licensing might want to 'qualify' an applicant.


02-12-2010, 10:41 AM
Here in Kansas,We have a pretty good deal for antique cars. 35 years of age, not modified or street rods. Can use a antique tag or a Kansas plate of the year of issue. Like our 62 Hawk has a 1962 Kansas plate. You pay nothing for the tag, but it costs you county property tax of $17.50 per year. Still pretty sweet.

02-12-2010, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Dwain G.

This might make some sense depending on the cost of the plates. Here in WA state you can get a Collectible Vehicle plate (you only get one instead of the usual two) for a one time fee of around $33. No annual renewal fees either, so it's a sweetheart deal. I can see where state licensing might want to 'qualify' an applicant.

Similar plan here in OH, Dwain. It's $50 for a lifetime historical plate fee and you may also use a vintage plate, but you have to carry the historical plates with you. If you personalize the historical plate they hit you up annually for a fee, though.

02-12-2010, 05:21 PM
Arkansas used to require membership in a club as well as inspection by a police officer. Now you only have to show that the car is over 25 years old and is not your primary source of transportation. Of course the privilege is abused and some real junkers have antique plates attached.
I got a lifetime plate for my "new" Scout (which I do intend to fix up) for $14.50. :D

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s186/52-fan/StudebakersofArkansas2-1.jpg"In the heart of Arkansas."
1952 Champion Starlight w/overdrive. Searcy, Arkansas