Water pump bearing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water pump bearing.

Has anyone come up with a number for the water pump bearings and seals for both a six and eight cylinder engine. I have some pumps that I can tear down, but finding the time is the hard part.

Jamie McLeod
    Hope Mills, NC
    Jamie McLeod
    Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
    1958 Commander "Christine"
    1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
    1955 Commander Sedan
    1964 Champ
    1960 Lark

I do not know about the 6's, but on the V8's the bearing and shaft come as an assembled unit. I bought a few 2 or 3 years ago, think I still have one new in the box. They were $25 apiece then. Easier and cheaper just to buy a rebuilt from a vendor but if you really want to rebuild your own I would look for the part Numbers for you.

Comment

The bearing is the same as the 283 Chevy, and is used for both the Stude six and V8. Any good bearing supply house should have them. The bearing and shaft are a one-piece unit. Depending upon application, the shaft may have to be cut short. An abrasive cutoff wheel is the only way to do it.

The mechanical seal can be found at a pump and/or electric motor supply house, and is fairly costly.

So you CAN rebuild a water pump on your own, with generic parts, if you have a hydraulic shop press at your disposal. By the time you have done it, you might save $10 per unit. Hardly worth it unless you have dozens to do.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Thanks Gord. I probably have twenty pumps of both 6 and 8 cylinder versions. I figured that I could rebuild them if the parts were cheap enough but it looks like I'll just save them for cores.

Jamie McLeod
        Hope Mills, NC
        Jamie McLeod
        Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
        1958 Commander "Christine"
        1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
        1955 Commander Sedan
        1964 Champ
        1960 Lark

Comment

I have plenty of 6 & 8 cores!

Barry'd in Studes

Comment

i just picked up a seal for my pump for 15 bucks and a local pump place

Comment

Working...
            X