Avanti Speedometer Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti Speedometer Question

All of the early Avantis, both R1 and R2 got a 140 Speedometer. Does anyone know when Studebaker started installing the 160 speedometer on the R2? My R2 which I purchased new, serial number 63R1771 had the 140 speedometer so I suspect that the change was made somewhere after that.

quote:Originally posted by r5duecento

All of the early Avantis, both R1 and R2 got a 140 Speedometer. Does anyone know when Studebaker started installing the 160 speedometer on the R2? My R2 which I purchased new, serial number 63R1771 had the 140 speedometer so I suspect that the change was made somewhere after that.
    It would be news to me if they were not so equipped from day one.

JDP/Maryland
    JDP Maryland

Comment

I have heard this before.
      My R2 has a 140mph speedo.
      It was discussed some time ago. Maybe search previous posts if you haven't already.
      pb

Comment

I was under the impression that the 160mph unit was standard on R2's from day one. I've never seen an R2 without one. Guess we all learn something new every day. After all these years some could have been replaced with what was available for some unknown reason.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

I have an R2 with a 140mph speedometer. 63R-1111, built 6/21/62. I also thought they were all to have the 160. I didn't buy it new so I figured it had been changed.
          Klif

55 Speedster
          63 Avanti R2
          63 Lark R2
          55 Speedster/Street Machine
          63 Avanti R2
          64 Convertible R1

Comment

My '63 R2, 63R1122, built in Aug. 8. 1962, has the original guages and it includes the 140 mph. speedometer.

Lew Schucart
            Editor, Avanti Magazine
            Lew Schucart
            Editor, Avanti Magazine

Comment

As we all know there are many undocumented running production changes made on Avantis. based on what I see here it would look like the installation of the 160 mph speedometer is one of these. My R-2 #2273 is equipped with the 160mph speedometer and was built in 12/62. I suspect the changed occured around #2000 or so. Seems like a lot of changes were made around hat VIN#.
              sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

I had asked that same question in a previous post several months ago, as my #1236 was equipped with the 140 mph unit, and a review of early magazine reviews showed the R2's with 140 mph speedometers. As stated before, I suspect that the change was made following the Bonneville runs.

Comment

My R-1 came with a 160 head.....I am second owner.......doctor the first........said was that way when he picked it up from dealer.

Comment

Thanks guys for your responses. Hopefully we will be able to determine when this took place, either by zeroing in via documentation of early cars or perhaps someone who has the information. I assume that the 160 speedometer in the R1 was an assembly line mistake.

I think that this is important both for judging purposes and correct restoration.

Dick

Comment

I looked in the July 1962 parts manual (not the later black cover manual), and it shows only two speedometers available...mph and metric. That tends to supports the contention that all Avanti's came with 140 mph speedometers...at least until some point after that manual was printed.

In the December 1963 parts manual (the more commonly seen manual), it shows a 140mph speedometer for R1's and 160mph for all R2, R3 and R4 cars.

Without a specific serial number car where the 160mph speedometer was first introduced, we can reasonably conclude that at first, all Avanti's were factory equipped with 140mph speedometers or the metric equivalent for export cars).

We all learn something every day...just goes to show not everything about Avanti's has been determined or confirmed.

Comment

Can anyone verify an R2 with a 140 mph speedometer later than 63R1771? It seems that Avantidon is close with his assumption that the 160 started somewhere near 2000.

Comment

Working...
                        X