NEW HERE* studebaker get it back running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEW HERE* studebaker get it back running

hi, im new here and would just like to introduce myself and my situation.
    my names dean, and im 17 years old, im by no means an expert at restoring cars like mny of you might be. But my uncle is giving me his 1957 studebaker. However it has nt ran for six years, and he says that there have not been feeze plugs on since then, and none of he fluids were drained ether.

Now for my question, what do i need to do just to gt it running again just so i can get the car to my house(about 1-2 miles away).

thanks for your help it is greatly appreciated

Hi Dean - welcome to the Forum and the world of Studebakers. I and many others could go through a long list of things you need to do, but the summary at this link captures most stuff:

Getting it running and ensuring the brakes are sound are the mandatory items before it can be moved. Might be best to get it towed/trailered to your place for a good going over before attempting to drive it - unless it's currently in a good spot to be worked on.

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar Deluxe
    Vancouver Island Chapter
    http://visdc.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>

Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander

Comment

thanks mark, maybe i will get it towed

Comment

If there really are no freeze plugs in the block then that would be a priority because even if you get it started you won't be able to keep coolant in it and in a couple of miles of driving combined with the inevitable idling in the driveway after the initial startup you could do some serious damage from overheating.

Does your uncle have triple AAA? If the car is currently registered to him they will tow it under his policy. If not the towing expense for a couple of miles to your house would be money well spent considering what could happen on the way that will cost much more than a tow.

That '57 is a great car to learn on and you will get lots of thumbs up when you're driving it.

ErnieR

R2 R5388 @ Macungie 2006________________ 1988 "Beater" Avanti

Comment

Another good thing to do is to buy the CD with the Shop Manual, Chassis Manual, and Body Parts Manual from Studebaker International

Part number 801440 includes all of those...a deal for $19.95

Ted
          '57 Champion

Comment

Welcome Dean! It's good to have you go nuts with the rest of us.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Welcome to the group Dean.
              What model is your car?
              Plus if it has no freeze plugs at least one type of fluid has been drained.
              Nice to have another young Studebaker fan here.
              Plus you have a really cool name.
              Now this forum has a young one and a slightly older one.
              Being a young guy maybe you will master the skills needed to post pictures easier than me.
              That's a hint, We want to see pics.

Dean Pearson.

Comment

It might be best to get it towed, but if you decide to start it
                where it is. First fill it with water or if there's still a
                chance of freezing, water/antifreeze mix. That will let you
                know if it will hold water, and would be a big factor in moving
                or not to start work. It's a 12 Volt so if the starter and
                wiring are good (check to see if rats have chewed wiring) then
                it should turn over. After putting battery in, before turning,
                remove fuel line that goes to tank from pump, (no junk gas in)
                remove plugs and squirt in a 50/50 mixture of deisel fuel and
                trans fluid. Now see if it spins over, with plugs out. If so
                next step, if not haul it home. If it spins, then turn it over
                a few times to blow out mixture from cylinders. Put in new points
                and condensor, and a new set of plugs. Connect a temporary fuel
                line to pump inlet and squirt a little gas in the carb. Put air
                cleaner back on and start up. look for leaking fuel pump or stuck
                float in carb. HAVE A FIRE EXTINGUISER HANDY!!! If she starts and
                runs then you can move on to checking the trans for fluid if auto.
                Then BEFORE MOVING check brakes.

Tex E. Grier

Comment

where are you located?

I'd be happy to come by and help, and I'm sure there might be someone in your area that would do the same.

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!
                  http://datinmanspeaks.blogspot.com/

Comment

Welcome Dean! Like everyone else I too am looking forward to those pics. I know your anxious to get that car started, but I can't emphasize enough about your brakes My car sat for 10 years and the wheel cylinders were forzen solid. And words can't come close to describing what the fluid looked like being caked in there. So my all means trailer it home!

Packardbakerly,
                    J.D.
                    sigpic

Packardbakerly,
                    J.D.

Comment

Call or stop by Studebakers West in Redwood City, it will be some one you will need to know in the future, 650-366-8787, Iam in Hayward just across the bridge...Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA
                      canbstudebakers-
                      Candbstudebakers
                      Castro Valley,
                      California

Comment

hey thanks guys thi really helps
                        -luckily i wont have any freezing problems because i live in N.california
                        And i am so excited for this new project it is like a dream come true,
                        I am not sure the model, ill have to ask again, i do know it is a '57 w/ a v6 flathead
                        unfortunatly our garage is under construction, from a recent fire and i will have to wait until april to bring it home,
                        ill be sure to put pics up eventually
                        thanks for the help guys

Comment

hey thanks guys thi really helps
                          -luckily i wont have any freezing problems because i live in N.california
                          And i am so excited for this new project it is like a dream come true,
                          I am not sure the model, ill have to ask again, i do know it is a '57 w/ a v6 flathead
                          unfortunatly our garage is under construction, from a recent fire and i will have to wait until april to bring it home,
                          ill be sure to put pics up eventually
                          thanks for the help guys

Comment

well thats a bit of a drive forme, so I am no help,, anyone else closer than 2000 miles?

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!
                            http://datinmanspeaks.blogspot.com/

Comment

ya, ive passed by the place in redwood city (staring and driving relly slow looking at the cars in there

Comment

Working...
                              X