Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• East Coast Adventure SOUTH!!

Dear Members,

I own a '50 Champion and during the last two years I have completely overhauled (out of the car) the engine, have 1200 miles on appropriate radials, repaired and inspected all wheel bearings, belts, brakes, new clutch, generator, and new heater and defroster etc--even have shoulder retractable seats belts in the front.

I have owned this car and taken the best care of it for 13 years!

Would it be a particular risk to drive this from New York City, to Ft. Lauderdale, Florida in early March? I will take my time with a number of stops overnight.

I have hose spares, extra belts, good jack etc.

Am I overly risking my life and passenger's life? Also, what extra stuff should I take or tips to keep in mind?

Jim

James Caspi
    1950 Champion Regal Deluxe-2 dr.
    New York, NY.

Do it. And let me know when you get to south Georgia. I'll show you a couple of Studes.

Matthew Burnette
    Your Friendly Stude Trim Bender

Starlight Stainless
    912-253-3037

Comment

Maybe a AAA card.
      Be sure to get the package with the added towing just in case.

Good luck and it sounds like loads of fun.

Dean.

Comment

The I95 traffic can be crazy and the speeds in the Southern States average 70-80 mph. There are alternate routes that are safer. What is your route plan?

Comment

Give the car a good going over before you leave, and take a cell phone and a AAA card just in case, might be a good idea to have a copy of the SDC glovebox guide too. Have a great trip!

Jeff DeWitt

Jeff DeWitt
          http://carolinastudes.net

Comment

With the recent work done on the car I see no reason why it wouldn't make such a trip. If it were me, however, I wouldn't attempt such an "adventure" on the interstate. I would look at going down the DelMarVa peninsula taking US 13 or 17, or even 301 down through the Carolinas. Possibly going down the Outer Banks of North Carolina. Sounds like fun --- truly an Adventure!

Joe Roberts
            '61 R1 Champ
            '65 Cruiser
            Editor of "The Down Easterner"
            Eastern North Carolina Chapter
            Joe Roberts
            '61 R1 Champ
            '65 Cruiser
            Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

There's always US 1 as well. Comes through about 15 miles from me.

Comment

In the next week or so, drive the car 100 miles from home, then turn around and drive back. If nothing falls apart, blows up or breaks, and if you arrive back home not nervous, then go for it.

Joe's right on. There's great stuff to see between where you live and here, none of it on or along the interstate highways. Drive to Florida like we used to do before I-95. Take your time, keep your eyes open. Some of the rural areas you'll drive through in the Carolinas, Georgia and northern Florida look a lot like they did when your car was new.

MikeV
                Pompano Beach, FL
                83 Avanti 377I

Comment

Brad Johnson,
                  SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I wouldn't hesitate about taking my 1949 Champion across country. I say have a great time and share the experience with us. Glove box guide and a membership roster would be handy just in case. Shoot could have members have a cup of coffee with you along the way. Have a great time

Mabel 1949 Champion
                    Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
                    Gus 1958 Transtar
                    The Prez 1955 President State
                    Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
                    Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
                    Fresno,Ca
                    Mabel 1949 Champion
                    Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
                    Gus 1958 Transtar
                    The Prez 1955 President State
                    Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
                    Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
                    Fresno,Ca

Comment

Do yourself a favor and go buy an extra fuel pump and water pump. Also put an in line fuel filter on the car if you haven't already. Be sure to take your camera and laptop. Stop at McDonalds and keep us updated on the trip. There are a lot of SDC along the way so you will never be realy alone.

Doug
                      Venice, Florida
                      1950 Champion
                      9G F1

Comment

Not too long ago I drove a 51 Champion to Fla. with no trouble. But then, I live in So.Ga.

The only problem we had was traffic in Jacksonville. I was trying to keep a safe distance between me and the car ahead. Somone put a car in my safe distance! Make sure your brakes are in top shape. NT

Neil Thornton
                        Hazlehurst, GA
                        '57 Silver Hawk
                        '56 Sky Hawk
                        '51 2R16 dump truck
                        Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

You are welcome to make a stop in Richmond, VA on your way. Contact me off-line.

Matt

'63 Avanti R-1 4speed

Comment

Maybe you could see how many pictures of SDC members you could get with your car..

I'm in NJ...first "leg" of the trip!

Ted
                            '57 Champion

Comment

Go for it! If you get anywhere between Daytona Beach and West Palm, we are here for you. If you let us know when you are leaving I am sure many others will look out for you along the way. I would think the side roads would be a more relaxing trip. Also contact me off line and I will meet up you if you need anything.

Don

Comment

Working...
                              X