Vin location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vin location

I am trying to locate the 17 character long VIN on my 1982 Avanti II.
    1958 Transtar 3E6-122
    1958 Transtar 3E13-31
    1959 Transtar 4E7-122
    1959 Lark 2 door Wagon
    1960 Transtar 5E28-171
    1960 Lark Gasser
    1963 Daytona

Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Whatever number is on the Avanti Motor Corp. door post sticker is it, it may or may not conform to the new 17 digit system used on newer cars, Studebaker & early Avanti Motor Corp. cars used a number like: RQB-1020 Serial Number as a Vin. #, the DMV will just have to LIVE WITH IT, if that is the case! [:0]

Hundreds of Thousands of Classic Cars are registered in all 50 States this way with no problem.

StudeRich
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

MCCAB1, here in north Alabama, they just fill out the number with zeros till it makes 17 for the computer imput to Montgomery, then put the actual No. on the license receipt that we use instead of titles!(for pre 75 cars). The next year, no questions even if you move to another county. Some of my cars went to other states when we started selling them, and none have had a problem transferring. Most all states recognize the older cars and register them with no problems I bet. Look up someone else in your area with an oldie and see what they did for them if you want to be sure, might ease your worry. Happy registering, John

Comment

The 17-digIt VIN began with the 1981 model year. Avanti Motors may have been granted a delay as they were a low volume producer. Even when Avanti Motors began using the mandated 17-digit system, they still gave the car their normal RQB, or a different RQ number...mostly for internal purposes I guess...not for title or registration. By law, the VIN's would have to have been visible through the windshield...either on the dash on the drivers side or the windshield pillar on that side.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
          Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

MCCAB1

The VIN # on my 83 is in the dash a few inches from the drivers side pillar. It is read by looking through the windshield on the drivers side at the base of the windshield. Same as any newer car. I think that location is required by the feds.

If it's not there, someone must have replaced the pad. I'll bet it's still there.

If you can't find it, email me and I'll post a picture of mine.

Bob

Comment

Same as my grandparent's '81.

quote:Originally posted by sweetolbob

MCCAB1

The VIN # on my 83 is in the dash a few inches from the drivers side pillar. It is read by looking through the windshield on the drivers side at the base of the windshield. Same as any newer car. I think that location is required by the feds.

If it's not there, someone must have replaced the pad. I'll bet it's still there.

If you can't find it, email me and I'll post a picture of mine.

Bob

Comment

Working...
              X