PDA

View Full Version : 57 golden hawk with 4 speed

PackardV8
02-08-2007, 10:03 PM
None, Nada, never happened. First Stude 4-speed was in 1961.

PackardV8

skip
02-08-2007, 10:48 PM
can anyone tell me how many golden hawks had 4 speeds in 1957 or where i can find out ?. email shiftknob@gwi.net. thanks.

Blitz
09-07-2008, 01:27 PM
Well that can't be correct, since I have one. I'm told only four were built.
BTW does anybody know the potential value? It is in rough condition, need restoration. Thanks.

r1lark
09-07-2008, 01:36 PM
quote:Originally posted by Blitz

Well that can't be correct, since I have one. I'm told only four were built.
BTW does anybody know the potential value? It is in rough condition, need restoration. Thanks.

Hi Blitz,

One good thing about Studebakers is that, since the original Production Order records still exist, the question of special equipment or options can be validated by ordering a copy of the Production Order from the Studebaker National Museum. Here is the link: http://www.studebakermuseum.org/archives.asp.

If you order the Production Order for your Golden Hawk, post a copy here so we all can take a look.

Paul
Winston-Salem, NC
Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

PackardV8
09-07-2008, 02:34 PM
Hi, Blitz,

The good and bad thing about Studebakers is most anything post-'53 can be and has been fit into most anything up to '64. It is always good to have a production order for your '57 GH. However, guaranteed there won't be a 4-speed transmission on it.

If you do a search around this forum, you'll find many threads about owners certain his '57GH was delivered without fins, with Paxtons, with 4-bbls, with 4-speeds and so on. The production order settles how it left the factory. What the dealer did, what subsequent owners did, what the seller told you, is a different matter.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8

Blitz
09-07-2008, 03:47 PM
It would be interesting to find out I guess. But, my grandfather was the original owner and as far as I know he did not modify it. Blitz

JDP
09-07-2008, 03:54 PM
Your 4 speed was added later, none were so built until 1961.The Golden Hawks are well documented as to options.

JDP/Maryland
"I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
Thomas Jefferson

PackardV8
09-07-2008, 05:11 PM
FWIW, I once had the owner of a '57GH T85-3-speed-overdrive/floor-shift-conversion-equipped Stude prove to me his car came with a four-speed. 1,2,3, lift up, click into overdrive, see, it's a four-speed.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8

Blitz
09-07-2008, 09:58 PM
OK school me here, I thought the regular transmission was the automatic on most if not all GH's. The fact that it was stick shift, was what I though might have made it unique. So some of the GH's came with a three speed? Because all I know about mine is that it is a standard tranny not an automatic. Thanks, Blitz.

PackardV8
09-07-2008, 10:05 PM
Hi, Blitz,

The standard transmission in the '57GH was a Borg-Warner T85 3-speed with overdrive and a shifter on the steering column. The automatic was a usually ordered extra cost option. Because the standard transmission column shifter was not conducive to fast shifting, many later owners converted to a floor shifter.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8

P.S. the B-W T85 was a heavy-duty transmission and the basis for the later T10 4-speed, so even if yours is not a true T10 4-speed, it is a close relative.

studegary
09-07-2008, 11:20 PM
When I first read your post, I figured that you made a common mistake among younger drivers of calling a three speed plus overdrive a four speed transmission.
The standard shift three speed with overdrive was NOT a rare item in a 1957 Golden Hawk.
My own '57 GH had 3 + OD.
The overdrive transmission was standard equipment in a 1957 Golden Hawk. The Flightomatic automatic transmission was optional.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
Studebaker enthusiast much longer

64Avanti
09-07-2008, 11:33 PM
The 61 Hawks used a Chevy bolt pattern with the 4 speed. This was a unique bolt pattern for Studebaker and required a different bellhousing. Before that and after the bolt pattern was the same as a Ford. Sometime in 1962 the Studebaker T10's were Ford bolt pattern and used the same bellhousing as the T86's and T85's.

David L

s2dwagon
09-08-2008, 01:40 PM
FWIW, I have a BW T-10 that was in my 55 Cnestoga and there is a date on the case that tells you what year the trans is. In my case, it is dated 1961, and it has the the Chevy bolt pattern. If there is a date on yours, and it is after 1957, it most certainly is an after market add-on. I have a question though, regarding the T-10 with the Chevy bolt pattern. I would like to know if this transmission could be used in another small block Chevy project I am working on as I am putting the wagon back to origional w/ the 3 speed OD. Any comment on what I need to do to use the T-10 in a CHavy, would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Scott

PackardV8
09-08-2008, 02:30 PM
Hi, Scott,

I think we've probably established Blitz actually has the OEM T85 in his '57GH.

Since I've never owned a '61-early 62 T10 it would be good to know if it used the long Studebaker input shaft or if the unique Chevy bolt pattern bellhousing was made shallower to enable the use of the shorter Chevy input shaft as well? Do you have yours out to measure? The Stude input shaft is 7.50" and the Chevy is 6.50". Anyway, someone here will have the answer within the hour. ;)

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8

s2dwagon
09-08-2008, 03:15 PM
Thank you Jack!

I am doing a ground-up resto on the wagon so my garage is full of parts and measuring the input shaft was easy. It measures 7.5".

Scott

blackhawk61
09-08-2008, 08:34 PM
I once put a 60 Corvette t-10 in a 57 Golden Hawk ...using a 61 4-speed housing and a specially made pilot bushing to "make up the length".....used Corvette disc and t/o bearing,Corvette shift linkage,Studebaker pressure plate...made a drive shaft and had to modify the driveshaft tunnel.

1961 Hawk 4BC,4-SPEED,TT
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q55/chevpartsman/61HawkChevypartsmanreduce.jpg
Ken Byrd
Lewisville,NC

Jessie J.
09-08-2008, 10:08 PM
quote:Originally posted by s2dwagon

FWIW, I have a BW T-10 that was in my 55 Cnestoga and there is a date on the case that tells you what year the trans is. In my case, it is dated 1961, and it has the the Chevy bolt pattern. If there is a date on yours, and it is after 1957, it most certainly is an after market add-on. I have a question though, regarding the T-10 with the Chevy bolt pattern. I would like to know if this transmission could be used in another small block Chevy project I am working on as I am putting the wagon back to origional w/ the 3 speed OD. Any comment on what I need to do to use the T-10 in a CHavy, would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Scott

Back in '69, I put a "chevy" pattern Stude T-10 behind the 283 in my '65 Cruiser, I did it by shortening the Stude input-shaft and also spacing the trans case out from the bellhousing with a stack of washers, also needed to ream the pilot bearing to fit the larger diameter of the Stude shaft.
Yes, it was a crude conversion, but then I was only 19 and these were parts that I had on hand, and it served me well for many thousands of miles.
Nowdays it would be much better to just sell or swap that rare Studebaker T-10 for a more common GM 4 speed.