PDA

View Full Version : Which 289 distributor?

Flat Ernie
02-08-2007, 10:15 PM
I've got a distributor that has a metal tag on it that says Delco, but I don't know what year it is. Don't have a pic, but this one has a little pipe for oiling. Can anyone tell me the years this was used?

It's currently in a '53, but this has a later 289 in it...

I'm considering a Pertronix, but want to know what year this distributor is...

TIA:D

Daddy always said, if yer gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough & I'm one tough sumbitch!

blackhawk
02-09-2007, 01:00 AM
They all have the oiling pipe on the side so that is no help. If it has the window in the cap and points that can be adjusted with an allen wrench through the window, then it is a Delco from 1960 or 1961. The 1962-64 engines used Prestolite distributors. The distributors prior to 1960 were Delco's without the window in the distributor cap but there were several part numbers (model nos?). Look for a metal tag with the part number and look it up in the parts manual. That might narrow it down a bit but many were used over a span of years.

Dale

Dwain G.
02-09-2007, 01:34 AM
Should be some numbers on that Delco tag for identification. Will be something similar to 1110864.

http://home.comcast.net/~jdwain/63.63.jpg
Dwain G.

StudeRich
02-09-2007, 03:57 AM
It really does not matter, if it has no window cap, its a '53-'59 early Delco, they all get the same Pertronixs kit. Just tell Fairborn you want the #1187LS (was 1187LSCC) if you are running 12V neg. ground.
Rich.

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

64V-K7
02-09-2007, 04:52 AM
I've found out that 4 of the 5 distributors, on my shelf, purchased from swap meets have a non OEM advance plate, which can give you a fit installing a Pertronix. The OEM plate is a fairly rudamentary unit which has has a felt pad underneath to hold oil and slides on plastic tabs. The aftermarket plates have a ball bearing slide and do make the advance movement much smoother but due to the design, will not allow mounting a Pertronix. The after market(?) plates have a logo stamped on them with something like "Dyna-flite", etc.
On the 1110864 unit in my 6 volt 55, I had to remove the Dyna-flite plate and install a standard one, to get the Pertronix to mount at all.
On an 1110839 distributor, it also had a non OEM plate, but all I had to do was file off some of the Pertronix mounting tab to get it to fit.

Flat Ernie
02-09-2007, 08:59 PM
Thanks to all - looks like I have a '53-59 early Delco. Good to know the same Pertronix kit works & I'll definitely check for the aftermarket advance plate too!

Daddy always said, if yer gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough & I'm one tough sumbitch!