"My Father The Car" - some additional history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "My Father The Car" - some additional history

The several hundreds of you who have read my book, "My Father The Car", will no doubt recall, on page 40, considerable reference was made to Edward G. Dunbar Jr, who is the lone survivor of Studebaker's senior management team in the United States. Ed's brother Bob recently contacted me with some more of that family's long history with Studebaker, which dates back over 125 years. The grandfather of Ed and Bob, the original Edward G. Dunbar, was an engineer at Studebaker in the late 1880s and died in 1890 at age 45. His widow, Tina, married Albert Peak in 1894. At the time, Peak was head of safety at Studebaker. Their father originally worked in Studebaker's harness shop and retired in 1953 at age 68. Uncle Alonzo Dunbar painted stripes on Studebaker wagon wheels. Bob Dunlop worked in Export Parts at Plant 8 in South Bend in 1949 and 50 and was drafted into the Service in 1950. As you already know from my book, Ed Dunbar Jr finished up the family relationship with Studebaker in 1972 when the last parts supply and properties were divested, prior to going on to Studebaker-Worthington. It's fascinating how much additional tidbits have come to my attention since writing this book; I just thought you'd like to hear about this one.
    Stu Chapman

Thanks Stu. It is great that all this history is being recorded and won't just be forgotten in the future.

Doug
    Venice, Florida
    1950 Champion
    9G F1

Comment

Interesting how after all these years new bits of information are still coming to light.

Don Wilson
      53 Commander Hardtop
      64 Champ 1/2 ton
      Centralia, WA
      Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
      50 Champion 2 door*
      53 Commander K Auto*
      53 Commander K overdrive*
      55 President Speedster
      62 GT 4Speed*
      63 Avanti R1*
      64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Thanks Stu. I'm sure Bob and Ed have a lot of stories they could tell..

Maybe you'll accumulate enough of those additional tidbits for a sequel!

Gene Nagle
        1963 Hawk R1
        Gene Nagle
        1963 Hawk R1
        1985 Avanti

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Stu Chapman
          It's fascinating how much additional tidbits have come to my attention since writing this book; I just thought you'd like to hear about this one.
          Your book is facinating indeed! And if you jog enough peoples' memories with your book, perhaps a 'Volume II' could be realized from everyone's efforts. I'm still rather interested in knowing how far along Studebaker was at having a display at the Expo67 world's fair in Montreal. Five automakers participated, General Motors, Ford, Chrysler, American Motors, and Volvo Canada; all who assembled cars in Canada. Studebaker was slated to be the sixth automaker involved in the event, but of course production stopped before the fair got underway the next year.

Craig

Comment

Working...
          X