Pics: Remembering SASCO, and N&A, and the Foundry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pics: Remembering SASCO, and N&A, and the Foundry

Was playing on the net again and found some old pics of the Newman and Altman building, the old home of sasco before the engineering building. I decided to post them along with some of my own snap shots from working at the engineering building. Now the N&A pics show the main showroom and parts, I really wish I could have seen it, but I was only 5 when the first move happened.[V][B)] So I am really interested if you have any pics of the old N&A building before demo. Now for the engineering pics, these are just some I took when I had a minute, and [u]THEY DO NOT SHOW PARTS. I POURPOSELY DID NOT PHOTOGRAPH TOO MUCH OF THAT BECAUSE I AM DOING THIS TO REMEMBER THE GOOD TIMES WE HAD IN THE BUILDINGS.</u> So with that, enjoy.

N&A building. Studebaker building #53/58 1874-2000 R.I.P.[xx(][V]
    And now engineering:

I know those are scrap bins, but rest assured, we are saving more than we scrap. In fact, we save almost everything. *Fyi, some of the scrap is just useless junk that was left there before sasco. Remember, this was not only sasco and the engineering building, but a warehouse for south bend toy, the welfare office, and south bend lathe used it for office space. A lot of the scrap is not even Studebaker.

This is the only parts room pic, and it's just stainless. Yes, it was all saved.

Cold room

Yes, they are being saved too.

Remember, this is for the buildings, not a sneak peak of parts. Hope you liked the pics.

Chris Dresbach

Chris Dresbach

I've never been there. Thanks for the pictures.

Comment

Thanks for posting these. I have never seen this in person, and
      some us may never see what remains, unless we see it here. THANKS
      AGAIN!!!!!![^]

Tex E. Grier

Comment

The room with the curved lower wall I believe was the room used for photographing
        prototypes and such, correct?

Comment

Thanks for the work to post these interesting photos. As well as Flashback I have note been there and most probably never will be.
          It is a good way to know more about "our buildings".

Ricardo from Chile

Studebakerchile

Comment

Last time I was at N/A I was just a kid - 15 or so. Thanks for the memories. Wasn't there a 55 or 56 Packard Clipper in the store back then (mid 70's) ?

Packardbakerly,
            J.D.
            sigpic

Packardbakerly,
            J.D.

Comment

I believe you are correct. When I saw it last(10 years ago) it looked like a photography studio....the floors/walls curved to give no shadows. Way cool building!

quote:Originally posted by Radsman

The room with the curved lower wall I believe was the room used for photographing
              prototypes and such, correct?

Comment

Very nice Chris. Great effort from our resident SDC Forum young'un[^]

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
                Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Nice job Chris, cool pictures. I was at the Newman-Altman store twice and the last time was in 1991 if I recall and there was a 1955 or 56 Packard Carribean convertible in front of Dennis' office. Did anyone else see this car? Between the two visits at the store, I remember purchasing a Lark shifter boot for a 4-speed and stainless trim for the front fenders on a '63 Lark. I still have the stainless fender trim in the original paper sleeves with price stickers on them that state a price of $18.00 each. What are they worth now?

SnowLark
                  In the middle of Minnestudea
                  sigpic
                  In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Boy, I'd love to have that compressor! It's even already on a pallet.[^] Ready to go even.

When did you take the shots of the Engineering Building, Chris?

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                    Ron Smith
                    Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                    Ron Smith
                    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Very nice thanks for posting

Comment

WOW !!!, just WOW !!! I'd never seen Studebaker heaven. Thanks so much, John

Comment

Thanks CHRIS The first time in South Bend I brought my 7yr old daughter with me and we stopped at N/A and snapped a photo of her at the entrance with the painted wall, it was great . Also made another stop at the Museum in the old Spicer building (rest in peace) its a moment I'll always will remember.

Tom

sigpic

Comment

Those were the days..........

58 Packard Wagons
                            63 Lark R2
                            62 Lark Skytop

Comment

Anybody want a repost of all the pictures from the foundry tour?

Chris Dresbach

Chris Dresbach

Comment

Working...
                              X